• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Soccer Talk Thread

Jules

I don't think you'll find many Europeans who follow the US soccer team and support and defend soccer in the US the way I do, but Twitter and Facebook were full off people actually suggesting that this game proved that the loss against Belgium was a fluke and that US soccer is capable of playing with the better European nations now. I don't believe that's quite true and I was just suggesting that I hope people are able to properly assess the value of this win. And yes, I said it a little mocking. Sorry 'bout that. Habit when talking soccer... ;)

I want it to do wonders for their confidence, because a World Cup without the US would be less fun and one of my fellow writers at a Dutch sports magazine is the US soccer watcher for Fox Soccer and it would be great for him to follow them to the World Cup in 2014.

It wasn't a jab at the team, although I can see how it came across that way, but I honestly wish the USMNT the very best over the next couple of months. If only because I root for the sport of soccer to become a lot bigger than it is now in the US.

Sidenote: the world ranking is a bit of a skewed system. Despite losing in the 2010 World Cup Final to Spain, The Netherlands was ranked #1 for a while, because they scored more goals against really weak opponents in the qualification round. At that time I could list at least three countries who would win a best-of-3 against that squad.

I don't think you'll find many Europeans who follow the US soccer team and support and defend soccer in the US the way I do, but Twitter and Facebook were full off people actually suggesting that this game proved that the loss against Belgium was a fluke and that US soccer is capable of playing with the better European nations now. I don't believe that's quite true and I was just suggesting that I hope people are able to properly assess the value of this win. And yes, I said it a little mocking. Sorry 'bout that. Habit when talking soccer... ;)

I want it to do wonders for their confidence, because a World Cup without the US would be less fun and one of my fellow writers at a Dutch sports magazine is the US soccer watcher for Fox Soccer and it would be great for him to follow them to the World Cup in 2014.

It wasn't a jab at the team, although I can see how it came across that way, but I honestly wish the USMNT the very best over the next couple of months. If only because I root for the sport of soccer to become a lot bigger than it is now in the US.

Sidenote: the world ranking is a bit of a skewed system. Despite losing in the 2010 World Cup Final to Spain, The Netherlands was ranked #1 for a while, because they scored more goals against really weak opponents in the qualification round. At that time I could list at least three countries who would win a best-of-3 against that squad.

It's all good, man. Im just used to defending them till Im blue in the face. But Im not ignorant about them. They are what they are.

If the Belgium game proved anything, it's that this team isn't ready to compete with the big boys. They got absolutely smoked, It was pretty embarrassing. Im glad they rebounded in convincing fashion.

Fifa rankings are complete shit. I only used it to help my arguement. ;) :D

• Like 1

also thanks to probably the worst own goal since...the invention of the game?

Nah, I remember seeing footage from the 60s, where a Goalie wanted to throw the ball, made a turn of 180 degrees during the throw and therefore throwing the ball into his own net.

Fucking legendary stuff this week. A buddy of mine is a former pro soccer player who quit after injuries and his business picking up. Recently he joined a team of other young guys, who just play for fun, but who are all legitimate former talents from big league teams. So, they practice once a week, drink beer three times a week and now they've unexpectedly promoted to the "3rd Class League", which is 6th national level. Absolutely hysterical and everyone in their league is soooo mad right now. :rofl:

I know it probably wont happen or even if its a thing in the US but Seattle should be the USMNT's national stadium of sorts. The fans there combined with the awesome acoustics of that stadium would make it an incredibly tough place for opponents

Yea that would be cool, not sure if there is one. I know this, if the World Cup ever comes back to US again, CenturyLink Field and Seattle will definitely be one of the cities to host a few game. The final would probably be in Pasadena again, but Seattle should definitely be a semifinal venue.

Off topic a bit but

If a WC was to ever come back to the US here are the cities and venues I would choose to host games.

MetLife Stadium - NY/NJ

Cowboys Stadium - Dallas

Soldier Field - Chicago

CenturyLink Field - Seattle

Gillette Stadium - Boston/New England

FedEx Field - Washington D.C

Sunlife Stadium (or new venue) - Miami/South Florida

University of Phoenix Stadium - Glendale

Rose Bowl - Pasadena

Maybes..

Lincoln Financial - Philadelphia

Reliant Stadium - Houston

The 2022 FIFA World Cup bid for the USA had already selected venues to compete for the 8-10 positions. They rejected quite a few, including Ford Field and Soldier Field, but here's the list that made it:

Rose Bowl, LA Memorial Coliseum, Cottow Bowl, Fedex Field, Cowboys Stadium, MetLife Stadium, Sun Life Stadium, Reliant Stadium, Arrowhead, Mile High, Raymond James Stadium, Gillette Stadium, Husky Stadium, University of Phoenix Stadium, Georgia Dome, M&T Bank Stadium, Lincoln Financial Field, LP Field, CenturyLink Field, Qualcomm Stadium, Lucas Oil Stadium.

So pick your 8-10 from that.

He has been amazing as of late. Looks like you dutch bastards finally smacked some sense into him. :D

His coach Gertjan Verbeek is the Dutch soccer version of John Tortorella. A relentless, hard-nosed, hard work coach who is at a constant war with the media. I'm not sure if he'll stay in the Eredivisie with AZ Alkmaar for next year. I hope so, he's been a pleasure to watch and is an addition to the talent level of our league.

The 2022 FIFA World Cup bid for the USA had already selected venues to compete for the 8-10 positions. They rejected quite a few, including Ford Field and Soldier Field, but here's the list that made it:

Rose Bowl, LA Memorial Coliseum, Cottow Bowl, Fedex Field, Cowboys Stadium, MetLife Stadium, Sun Life Stadium, Reliant Stadium, Arrowhead, Mile High, Raymond James Stadium, Gillette Stadium, Husky Stadium, University of Phoenix Stadium, Georgia Dome, M&T Bank Stadium, Lincoln Financial Field, LP Field, CenturyLink Field, Qualcomm Stadium, Lucas Oil Stadium.

So pick your 8-10 from that.

Rose Bowl: Yes. Quintesential American stadium that holds 92,000 plus and is minutes from downtown LA. Would have the final there again as well.

LA Coliseum: No. Also a large venue that hosted the 84 Olympics, but I'll take the Rose Bowl.

Cotton Bowl: No. Don't need it when you have a better more modern Cowboys Stadium minutes away.

FedEx field: Yes. Large capacity stadium that represents the Capital of the US. RFK is closer but too outdated IMO.

Cowboys Stadium: Yes. Super large modern facility that would host well and fills the void of the South/Southwest

MetLife Stadium: Yes. Can't host a world cup and not have it in the nations largest city.

Sun Life Stadium: Yes. Needs some upgrades, but Miami is a sort of international Mecca of sorts and would be a good draw.

Reliant: Maybe, and only if Cowboys stadium was not available.

Arrowhead: No. KC is a good MLS host, but I'm not crazy about that facility when newer nicer ones are available.

Mile High: Maybe. Not sure though if FIFA would like it at such a high elevation.

Raymond James: Maybe. Has hosted multiple super bowls and is adequate, not sure if I'm crazy about Tampa though.

Gillette Stadium: Yes. Nice facility and sits in the heart of one of the nations most densly populated regions.

Husky Stadium: No, they have CenturyLink.

University of Phoenix: Yes. Nice new modern retractable roof venue that is in Americas last true boom city.

Georgia Dome: Maybe. is the heart of the South, just not all that crazy about the facility, which is spacious and big, but lacks zero charm.

M&T Stadium: Maybe, but FedEx is closer to DC than Baltimore

Lincoln Financial: Maybe. Nice new facility and major Northeast/MidAtlantic city so it would be a choice if others fell through.

LP Field: No, Also nice venue, not crazy about the international FIFA world cup being played in Tennessee though.

CenturyLink Field: Rousing yes. Those fans earned the city to host, and the venue is one of the loudest in all sports.

QualComm Stadium: Maybe. Venue is older but still a nice city, and if Mexico was to ever play a game there, it would be an electric atmosphere.

Lucas Oil Stadium: Maybe. Nice new retractable venue.

I'm surprised that they would shoot down Soldier Field and Chicago right out of the gate. Chicago is the nations 3rd largest city, and the facility is modern and was just redone about 10 years ago. I understand why they would nix Detroit, but that local economy could also use a boost from hosting a few WC games again.

is the final game usually held in the capital of the country? Cant remember if 2010 was in Pretoria or not. Would suck if the final would have to be at FedEx Field because from what I hear from my Redskin fans friends is that the stadium is a dump

No, final in 2010 was in Johannesburg at the Soccer City stadium.

is the final game usually held in the capital of the country? Cant remember if 2010 was in Pretoria or not. Would suck if the final would have to be at FedEx Field because from what I hear from my Redskin fans friends is that the stadium is a dump

the last time the World Cup was in the U.S. (1994) the Final was at the Rose Bowl