• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Pack is Back — General Hartford Wolf Pack Discussion

Phil

I think only 2 assists for Kreider.

The best news is probably that Hrivik scored in his first game back since being out forever with a concussion. He's a guy that could get a look down the stretch because of his great two-way play.

He had 3, they just removed it from him. He was registered for one on Segal's goal as the secondary assist.

Nice to see Kreider carrying the puck with some confidence on that first goal. Nice pass by him to Fast too.

I thought Bickel was going end-to-end for a minute there until he stumbled in the corner and couldn't get up...

Anyone know why he hasn't played in the last two games?

Resting because of the injury he suffered back in the SEL playoffs. He started to feel it again after Friday's game so he decided to sit out these last two. One more week of rest will likely do him some good and he'll be back for next weekend's games.

• 2 weeks later...
For the playoffs, four teams including the Whale all have 79 points and are in spots 7-10. The only problem is that the other three teams have two games to play and the Whale only have one. A lot has to go right for the Whale to make the playoffs. They play tonight against Portland, who have already clinched a playoff spot.

• 1 month later...
Lost the last 6 games of the season and missed that playoffs...That's pretty sad

I have to wonder if Gernander will be back.

They have the same system down there, and it might be time for a change too. Will there be changes there to mirror the style of whatever coach comes in here in NY?

Anyway a few personnel notes.

[Logan] Pyett strongly hinted he is likely to be moving on and was honest in his assessment of his play this season.

?I wasn?t overly happy with my game this season. I found it was a tough transition from the Detroit system (with Grand Rapids) I was in for the last four years. I was comfortable there and it was a lot different from what the Rangers were putting in here and it took me awhile to adjust to that.?

http://www.howlings.net/cantlons-corner-breaking-up-is-hard-to-do/#more-22430

One thing that clearly didn?t work out for the Whale?s benefit was their trading Chad Kolarik for Benn Ferriero. Kolarik finished the regular season with 35 points in 41 games and 33 points in 35 games with Wilkes Barre and finished third in AHL scoring. Conversely, Ferriero 12 points in 23 games with the Whale.

?If you want to look it that way yeah,? Gernander said. ?But sometimes its not about points. Some people are unhappy about their situation. Changes can be made for reasons other than scoring.?

Several players who wished to remain anonymous, said it was a festering issue for a period of time that Kolarik was unhappy at still being in Whale country after missing all last year to injury a administrative error made him ineligible to play in Hartford last spring when he was medically cleared to play.

and for an opposing POV, and some personnel notes, Mitch Beck

Beck to Cwede: But where you REALLY went wrong is on your being critical of Kenny and his development skills. Think about how many guys in the NHL right now came through and where taught by G how to be professionals. On the Rangers alone right now, you have Hagelin, Kreider, Zuccarello, Del Zotto, Gilroy, McDonaugh, all have been with the team and learned under G. If you go outside the organ-eye-zation, it would take me all day to list them all. You?re VERY wrong about that.

In the AHL, you can only do the best you can with the players you?re dealt. This was a weak and inconsistent team. It happens, but you don?t disregard all that G has done to make the Rangers the team they are?who by the way are also struggling mightily with consistency I might add.

In Hartford, I can?t see them resigning ANY of their Free agents (Collins, Pyett, Segal, Vernace) except MAYBE Segal. I think their RFA?s Ferriero, Niemi, Palmieri and Mashinter will all go and not be tendered. There are a lot of kids signed for next year, Conor Allen on D, McIlrath wil lbe back, JT Miller, Christian Thomas, Kyle Jean, Ryan Bourque, Jesper Fast, Andrew Yogan, Oscar Lindberg, Bickel, Missiaen, Josh Nicholls, Marek Hrivik, Michael St. Croix, Tommy Hughes, Newbury, Haley, Jason Wilson, Michael Kantor and of course Cam Talbot.

But the bottom line again, Gernander has done a masterful job and trust me when I tell you this that if he were let go, he would be unemployed for less than a week I can tell you that. He is VERY respected in this league. It would be a GIGANTIC mistake to take him out of Hartford.

http://www.howlings.net/cantlons-corner-breaking-up-is-hard-to-do/#more-22430

• 1 month later...

@AGrossRecord

Solid goaltender and could be Talbot's heir in Hartford provided that he backstops Lundqvist in 2014-2015. Also could mean the end for Scott Stajcer and potentially Missiaen. Stajcer played in the ECHL this season and didn't show very much. Missiaen had some very strong performances and Gernander rode him for a short period of time, but he hasn't displayed the consistency that a starter needs.

Malcolm was 20-6-2 this past season for Yale with a 2.24 GAA and .919 SV %. I'd keep any expectations regarding him low given that he's 24 and hasn't been anything too special, but he's a solid depth goaltender. If he does well this season I can see the Rangers signing him to a contract, but I see his potential as being similar to Talbot's. We still lack an heir to Lundqvist in the system.

• 1 month later...

Some interesting guys that got camp invites for the Pack.

Angelo Esposito: 2007 first round pick of the Pens.

Brodie Dupont: Former Wolf Pack star and Rangers 3rd round pick.

Tyler Gjurich: This guy just intrigues me because I don't know where the hell he came from. He's 21 and has only ever played in the EJHL and OJHL, whatever those leagues are. Last year he played 53 games for the Buffalo Jr Sabres of the EJHL and scored 53 goals with 97 points.

Pack win their preseason opener 5-2. Two of the above mentioned players netted goals as Dupont and Gjurich each lit the lamp, Gjurich's coming on the PP. St. Croix had a goal and an assist, though the goal was an empty netter. Brandon Hynes, an undersized camp invite who starred in the QMJHL for the past few years scored 2 goals.