• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Pack is Back — General Hartford Wolf Pack Discussion

Phil

Talbot gave up 7 goals on 20 shots. Yikes.

I wonder where the other 5 guys in front of him were? Friggin impressive.

Thought with some of the NHL hopefuls we were sending back to Gernander we'd see something a little less horrific.

Wonder if Gernander is still playing defense-first, defense at all costs hockey, or whether he is trying to mirror Vignealt's system?

Last night again couldn't have gone any better for the Pack. Goal scorers were McIlrath, Kristo, Kreider and Miller.

Awesome.

Just awesome.

I can not WAIT to have a shoe stuffed in my mouth for all the negative things I said about the McIlrath pick.

Prove my dumb ass wrong Dylan.

Awesome.

Just awesome.

I can not WAIT to have a shoe stuffed in my mouth for all the negative things I said about the McIlrath pick.

Prove my dumb ass wrong Dylan.

I doubt he's going to prove anyone wrong. He would have already. Still nice to see him score some goals

Also, he had 0 goals in 45 games last season and already has 2 this season. Not bad

Kristo has 5 points in 3 games. I think he's definitely our best forward prospect. More upside than Miller imo

Big age and experience difference between Krisot and Miller though.

I would assume Kristo is the more complete player now, but i'm guessing Miller blows by him in a year or so.

JT Miller two goals and an assist today, McIlrath and Kreider with the other goals as Wolfpack win 4-3 against the Devils. Missiaen made 23 saves on 26 shots. On the Devils side, Jon Merrill had assists on all three of Albany's goals (two primary, one secondary).

Mcilrath getting shot ON net is a step in the right direction.

2 goals is huge this early in the season.

Miller and dman Tommy Hughes have goals as Hartford is tied with the Adirondack Phantoms 2-2 after two periods of play.

Woot!

Big age and experience difference between Krisot and Miller though.

I would assume Kristo is the more complete player now, but i'm guessing Miller blows by him in a year or so.

As someone who has watched most of the Wolfpack games this season, I disagree. Kristo is older, but it's also his first professional season of any kind. Meanwhile, Miller has an entire pro season under his belt, including 20+ games at the NHL level. Kristo is definitely the more talented player and more matured offensively, but Miller is very clearly the more NHL-ready player in terms of the total package. Kristo still lacks the understanding of what he needs to do in the neutral and defensive zones. Kristo is the superior powerplay guy, but right now Miller is definitely better at even strength. If the Rangers were forced to call up one of the two tomorrow it would be a fairly easy decision to pick Miller. I do like Kristo's long-term potential, however.

• Like 1

But my point is that Kristo is 23.

Miller is 20.

That's a HUGE age difference during those years in regards to development.

Example: If Miller and Kristo look similar now, i'm guessing Miller looks MUCH better at 23 then Kristo does now.

Make sense?

Not necessarily. Every player has different developmental curves. A guy like Petr Prucha peaked around 23 and then slowly lost it. Meanwhile, PA Parenteau and Alex Burrows didn't reach their potential until their late 20s. Paul Stastny was a much better player at 20-21 than Ryan Kesler was at 21-23. Over the years, though, Kesler has surpassed him. This is why the NHL draft, and further evaluating prospects, is such a crapshoot. It's not very difficult to judge the ability of a 16-19 year old. What IS difficult is figuring out what kind of player that guy might grow into as a 25 year old. There's a lot of biology, coaching, and just inherent randomness with no rhyme or reason that can't be quantified or predicted.

If both players hit their utmost peak, then I think Danny Kristo is a first line winger who consistently puts up 35-40 goals and JT Miller is a two-way, second line center who hits 55 points and plays top PK minutes. However, I think Miller is more likely to reach close to that peak level than Kristo is his. We'll see how it plays out in the future.

Not necessarily. Every player has different developmental curves. A guy like Petr Prucha peaked around 23 and then slowly lost it. Meanwhile, PA Parenteau and Alex Burrows didn't reach their potential until their late 20s. Paul Stastny was a much better player at 20-21 than Ryan Kesler was at 21-23. Over the years, though, Kesler has surpassed him. This is why the NHL draft, and further evaluating prospects, is such a crapshoot. It's not very difficult to judge the ability of a 16-19 year old. What IS difficult is figuring out what kind of player that guy might grow into as a 25 year old. There's a lot of biology, coaching, and just inherent randomness with no rhyme or reason that can't be quantified or predicted.

If both players hit their utmost peak, then I think Danny Kristo is a first line winger who consistently puts up 35-40 goals and JT Miller is a two-way, second line center who hits 55 points and plays top PK minutes. However, I think Miller is more likely to reach close to that peak level than Kristo is his. We'll see how it plays out in the future.

Took the words out of my mouth. More development time doesn't necessarily mean you be will be better 2-3 years down the line. A lot of players (maybe even most, actually) improve only marginally after a certain point. Miller will get better, but I don't think he will ever blow anyone away. I think Kristo will ultimately be the better player. Doubt he'll be scoring 35-40 goals anytime soon though

Seeing the old 'Pack jerseys almost makes me think our prospects are amazing again! :rofl:

http://cdn.blueshirtsunited.com/uploads/image/image/14060/large_KristoTile.jpg

http://hartfordwolfpack.s3.amazonaws.com/img/Miller_Action_Shot_5.jpg