• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Video Game Help

NYR2711

It has been a long time since I have played any games on my Wii or X-Box, but now with Christmas coming up, and my son getting older, he is 4 and a half, will be 5 in April, I wanted to start getting him into playing some games. He has seen the Disney Infinity set in stores recently, and it has a bunch of his favorite characters for it. My question is is he too young still for it and if he isn't, do all the old figures work on the new system for it. He has a leapfrog with a bunch of games that he plays already, and has a bunch of games on the iPad that he plays with too. I was also looking at getting him the Planes game for the Wii because he loves that movie. Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. I tried looking them up online to get info, but there isn't much I can find that answer the questions I have about them.

Kids grow out of games and toys so fast, and it's impossible to keep up with everything that is out there. The Disney games are right in his range right now. I'd stick with Wii because it's easier to control at that age. FYI, they have a hockey game for Wii where you put the controller in a hockey stick. I'll check my son's collection later, and let you know the name.

Kids grow out of games and toys so fast, and it's impossible to keep up with everything that is out there. The Disney games are right in his range right now. I'd stick with Wii because it's easier to control at that age. FYI, they have a hockey game for Wii where you put the controller in a hockey stick. I'll check my son's collection later, and let you know the name.

It's NHL Slapshot from about 5 years ago.

For me, at your son's age, the best gaming hardware for him would be a cheap Android tablet of some variety. Kids and touch screens just simply go together, for whatever reason it's just intuitive. With a low-mid end tablet you could allow the rugrat(s) to get their hands on it without much worry and there's a lot of child oriented software available at a discount price.

I have a problem also, have kids who are 2, 4, 7 and 9.....looking to get a console.....but which one to get...Xbox one or Wii U.....obviously the xbox one is the better hardware and games but it's more expensive and more adult oriented, then you have wii u that is cheaper and more family oriented but is a weaker system.....which one to get....they played the old wii at their cousins house and LOVES it....im thinking at this point maybe just getting a used wii for cheap with some games and then when they get a bit bigger get the xbox one when those games suit them better.....what to do what to do....hmm

Both the older ones already have kindle fire tablets and im getting the LeapFrog LeapPad3 Learning Tablet for my 4 year old. think it looks PERFECT as a starting tablet for a 4 year old.

This.

I'm not a huge fan of the Wii, but it's definitely going to be tougher for a 4-5 year old than a tablet.

Xbox ones are cheap nowadays, so you can go the Xbox1/tablet route and he'll be okay with the xbox in 2-3 years.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft puts out some kind of tablet xbox bundle thing.

I have a problem also, have kids who are 2, 4, 7 and 9.....looking to get a console.....but which one to get...Xbox one or Wii U.....obviously the xbox one is the better hardware and games but it's more expensive and more adult oriented, then you have wii u that is cheaper and more family oriented but is a weaker system.....which one to get....they played the old wii at their cousins house and LOVES it....im thinking at this point maybe just getting a used wii for cheap with some games and then when they get a bit bigger get the xbox one when those games suit them better.....what to do what to do....hmm

Both the older ones already have kindle fire tablets and im getting the LeapFrog LeapPad3 Learning Tablet for my 4 year old. think it looks PERFECT as a starting tablet for a 4 year old.

Dont do the Wii U, it bombed, so they aren't doing much with it, and are actually not making too many more games for it. They are now making a new system. We got the Leap Frog Leap Pad for my son and he loves it. My son is 4, and he loves that and the iPad.

Get yourself an Xbox one and get the kid a tablet with games loaded on to it

This.

I'm not a huge fan of the Wii, but it's definitely going to be tougher for a 4-5 year old than a tablet.

Xbox ones are cheap nowadays, so you can go the Xbox1/tablet route and he'll be okay with the xbox in 2-3 years.

I have both the Wii and XBox. I was also thinking the Wii is hard for him to use. I haven't used my Xbox in a while, so I am hoping it still works, I think we are gonna try that with him this weekend and then get him the Disney Infinity for him for that system. We have an iPad that he uses, but I hate having to pay for the little things on it, and he has a Leap Frog which he loves as well. I would love an Xbox 1 or PS4, but they are too expensive right now.

If you're buying a tablet for kids games, I'd just go on Ebay and find a reputable dealer and get an older refurbished one. I did that for an old Ipad 2 for development testing and only paid $200 for it. The kids games at that age shouldn't be too intensive on the system and you have to figure they're going to break it anyway.

Dont do the Wii U, it bombed, so they aren't doing much with it, and are actually not making too many more games for it. They are now making a new system. We got the Leap Frog Leap Pad for my son and he loves it. My son is 4, and he loves that and the iPad.

In terms of games marketed towards families, I'd argue that the Wii U is probably the better choice - especially if you are a previous wii owner as the wii motes and games are backwards compatible.

Games like Pikmin, Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros, Smash Bros and Mario Kart are worth the purchase alone.

Moreover, the Xbox One will have longer legs - and thus will eventually see a hardware revision in the next year or two - meaning that you'll have the opportunity to enter into that market at a lower cost with (presumably) improved hardware, and the timing would coincide with the software matching your kids' increased maturity. Plus, the previous software would likely be discounted as well - whereas Nintendo first-party games typically retain value/price.

In terms of games marketed towards families, I'd argue that the Wii U is probably the better choice - especially if you are a previous wii owner as the wii motes and games are backwards compatible.

Games like Pikmin, Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros, Smash Bros and Mario Kart are worth the purchase alone.

Moreover, the Xbox One will have longer legs - and thus will eventually see a hardware revision in the next year or two - meaning that you'll have the opportunity to enter into that market at a lower cost with (presumably) improved hardware, and the timing would coincide with the software matching your kids' increased maturity. Plus, the previous software would likely be discounted as well - whereas Nintendo first-party games typically retain value/price.

The problem with the Wii U is that they aren't making anything new for it. The system was a bomb for them. Nintendo is currently working on a new system and have abandoned the Wii U. They took a huge hut with it.

The problem with the Wii U is that they aren't making anything new for it. The system was a bomb for them. Nintendo is currently working on a new system and have abandoned the Wii U. They took a huge hut with it.

Who isn't making anything new for it? With this being a Nintendo console, third-party support will obviously be incredibly limited. That said, Nintendo have a ton of first-party titles in the pipeline that have been announced, and one must presume they have even more to come - though it's difficult to say as they reveal their software on their own terms; as opposed to well, everyone else.

Zelda, Star Fox, Kirby, Mario, Yoshi & Toad - all of these big names have definite games coming out for the Wii U.

Not only that, by the time his kids exhaust the 10+ great games that are out already, competitor consoles will roll out their second wave of hardware. There's really no downfall to buying a Wii U at this very moment.

The PS4 & Xbox One may have more games, but they're in no way better at this moment. This has been one of the most disappointing launch years of any generation, and this holiday is particularly drab.

Who isn't making anything new for it? With this being a Nintendo console, third-party support will obviously be incredibly limited. That said, Nintendo have a ton of first-party titles in the pipeline that have been announced, and one must presume they have even more to come - though it's difficult to say as they reveal their software on their own terms; as opposed to well, everyone else.

Zelda, Star Fox, Kirby, Mario, Yoshi & Toad - all of these big names have definite games coming out for the Wii U.

Not only that, by the time his kids exhaust the 10+ great games that are out already, competitor consoles will roll out their second wave of hardware. There's really no downfall to buying a Wii U at this very moment.

The PS4 & Xbox One may have more games, but they're in no way better at this moment. This has been one of the most disappointing launch years of any generation, and this holiday is particularly drab.

Nintendo isn't doing anything new for it like they have with all of their other consoles in the past. They took a huge hit with the Wii U, and are excepting their loss and now putting the money into developing a new system. Nintendo's sales for the Wii U were far below expectations. You can buy the system, but you have to buy it knowing that they aren't moving forward with it. Yes they have games coming out, but only because they were making them at the launch. They were actually going to stop making Wii games in anticipation of the Wii U sales, and they have now actually started coming out with Wii games again because its still selling better than the Wii U.

Nintendo isn't doing anything new for it like they have with all of their other consoles in the past. They took a huge hit with the Wii U, and are excepting their loss and now putting the money into developing a new system. Nintendo's sales for the Wii U were far below expectations. You can buy the system, but you have to buy it knowing that they aren't moving forward with it. Yes they have games coming out, but only because they were making them at the launch. They were actually going to stop making Wii games in anticipation of the Wii U sales, and they have now actually started coming out with Wii games again because its still selling better than the Wii U.

I'm not sure where you are getting these figures about Nintendo's support of Wii U as opposed to the GameCube, for example - but they're completely unfounded.

I'm not sure where you are getting these figures about Nintendo's support of Wii U as opposed to the GameCube, for example - but they're completely unfounded.

Its not unfounded. I know someone with ties that works within the Nintendo Corporation. Plus there is this:

The Wii U has been out for almost two years now, and sales of the console have been quite disappointing. Because of the low sales, we haven’t seen much support from third party publishers. And while Nintendo’s own first games have been quite successful on the Wii U, there has yet to be a big third party hit on the console.

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/11/nintendo-wii-u-bouncing-back/

Why do you think they only have a small amount of games out for it, and why do you think there are very few advertisements for it. I never mentioned the Gamecube, so I don't know why your even bringing it up. The guy I know told me to stay away from the Wii U, as have guys that work in GameStop, because they are working on a new system and aren't producing as much for the Wii U.

Its not unfounded. I know someone with ties that works within the Nintendo Corporation. Plus there is this:

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/11/nintendo-wii-u-bouncing-back/

Why do you think they only have a small amount of games out for it, and why do you think there are very few advertisements for it. I never mentioned the Gamecube, so I don't know why your even bringing it up. The guy I know told me to stay away from the Wii U, as have guys that work in GameStop, because they are working on a new system and aren't producing as much for the Wii U.

That quote proves nothing as to first-party development, which is what I prefaced this entire discussion on. Also, Nintendo "Corp" - (of America) has nothing/little to do with game development. As someone who covers this industry for Canada's largest media entity - I can tell you for certain that there will be far more first-party games in the future.

As for Nintendo working on future consoles, that's obvious and something that has never been in question. But Nintendo themselves, among others in the industry - respect the value that the Wii U brings.

"The good news, for us, is that we're presenting the best value right now in new home consoles," he explained. "$299, includes two games; it's a compelling proposition for consumers this holiday."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wii-u-is-better-value-than-xbox-one-or-ps4-nintend/1100-6423651/

I'm not a staunch Nintendo supporter, at all, but they've made key moves to make their brand more valuable in recent times - bringing tenured franchises to mobile and exploring alternative software avenues by merging third-party franchises (Dynasty/Hyrule) with their popular stable, as well bringing amiibos to market.

They're doing things right, and for a child of the age 4-10, I don't really think that there's any reasonable comparison in terms of a console targeted towards that audience. The PlayStation 4/Xbox One have great games and will have longer legs, but not for kids and certainly not at this moment.

Not for nothing but I work with a ton of people in licensing and gaming who aren't high on Wii U.

Understandably so. Ubisoft, the defacto leaders of the industry at the moment have all but sworn off the console.

That said, it comes down to what you're looking for.

Most gamers are looking for adult experiences, whether that's a sports sim, FPS, or a third-person action game like Assassin's creed. Unfortunately the industry hasn't exactly found a way to make these genre's universally appealing, with the exception of games like PVZ: Garden Warfare.

While family-friendly games absolutely do exist on the PS4 and Xbox One, ones not introduced with the title "LEGO" are few and far between; at least right now.

Bar none, the Wii U has more games that appeal to children/family at this time, and in the next two-year's pipeline.

Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, New Super Mario Bros Wii U, Smash Bros. Wii U, Shovel Knight, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Wii Sports Club, Nintendo Land, Wind Waker HD, Pikmin 3.

Now, comparing that even to the PS4's (the most popular console at the very moment) exclusives (which are not aimed at children) is essentially useless at this moment.

Now, I've said it a few times, but I don't think it's getting across:

If you have young children, which the op does, the Wii U is the best value for your dollar. Moreover, the console still has a few years left of great first-party games down the pipeline, but it will not have long legs when compared to the recently launched PS4 & Xbox One. Fortunately, both of those systems are floundering in terms of software at this moment, and when the op's children grow up - a hardware revision will become available allowing them to purchase a superior product at what will likely be a lower cost.

This doesn't even touch upon the fact that he already owns a wii, which means he can transfer & play his old games on Wii U via backwards comparability, and the Wii Motes themselves are also a big part of the Wii U's arsenal.

I'm obviously not saying that the Wii U is the best console available, because well... it's not. In fact, I'd likely recommend waiting for the "New 3DS" to arrive - but we're talking about home console here.

What's this new 3DS you speak of?

My 5 yo loves his 3DS and wants a WiiU. I can understand that as he's 5, but I've been pushing him in the large console direction for obviously selfish reasons.

In Japan a New 3DS was launched in Japan in October and includes a second thumbstick (of sorts, more of a nub really) and it will be slighty more powerful, allowing for Gamecube/Wii ports. It is also, much like the Wii U, entirely backwards compatible.

In all likelihood, it could be here by spring 2015.

Here's an image of it running the most demanding Wii game released to date.

http://86bb71d19d3bcb79effc-d9e6924a0395cb1b5b9f03b7640d26eb.r91.cf1.rackcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/new-3ds-xl-august-2014-xenoblade-chronicles-646x691.jpg

No need to get testy. We're talking about video games, and frankly I haven't read all the posts, just the last few.

Not testy, just felt like I was spinning in circles and had to reiterate.

From a business perspective, the Wii U is a disaster - but that isn't to say that the effects translate to the consumer - or at least the ones that the console is aimed at.

Not testy, just felt like I was spinning in circles and had to reiterate.

From a business perspective, the Wii U is a disaster - but that isn't to say that the effects translate to the consumer - or at least the ones that the console is aimed at.

Gotcha. Fair enough.