• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Athletics Post Draft Grades

Gravesy

Actually no. I have seen the top guys play. Wahlstrom and Dobson multiple times at the under 18 and the memorial cup respectively. Watching those games you concentrate on them knowing they are projected to be drafted near where the rangers will be picking. I have seen Kravtsov not as much obviously but when I did see his team he was who I was focused on because he was considered for the rangers second two picks. My point which was specifically stated is that guys drafted after the top 50 or so prospects are largely unknown by people who don’t make a living as scouts. Even if you saw those teams play you are not watching those kids with the thought of I’d take that kid with a 5th round pick. I understand opinions regarding players you watch play. I don’t understand someone giving a grade based upon nothing but second hand opinion from an article they read. Am I supposed to believe someone here saw the high school kid from mass play and can honestly say what they think the rangers got in that player? Are there people here watching the Swedish junior league?

Actually no. I have seen the top guys play. Wahlstrom and Dobson multiple times at the under 18 and the memorial cup respectively. Watching those games you concentrate on them knowing they are projected to be drafted near where the rangers will be picking. I have seen Kravtsov not as much obviously but when I did see his team he was who I was focused on because he was considered for the rangers second two picks. My point which was specifically stated is that guys drafted after the top 50 or so prospects are largely unknown by people who don?t make a living as scouts. Even if you saw those teams play you are not watching those kids with the thought of I?d take that kid with a 5th round pick. I understand opinions regarding players you watch play. I don?t understand someone giving a grade based upon nothing but second hand opinion from an article they read. Am I supposed to believe someone here saw the high school kid from mass play and can honestly say what they think the rangers got in that player? Are there people here watching the Swedish junior league?

Yes yes yes, you're right about all of this. It's why I didn't give a grade and I've watched a good bunch of the top players. The draft is of little interest after the top 40 or 50 picks. They are just names and longshots at that point, with the odd guy you might have heard of.

Here is what you are forgetting. In listening to hockeyprospects for 4 hours or reading, etc most experts agreed Goalies were not going until late 2nd and 3rd round. We all dismissed the idea of a goalie. And he is 6'. Meanwhile, there were guys like Wilde (who I wanted there) and McLoud who also had 1st round projections. There was also Thomas, Tychonick and others people knew.

Add that we traded the other 2nd and all the sudden our expectations of getting 1st round leftovers in the 2nd, were dashed. The rest of the picks no one knows, hence why everyone gives 2-7 a shitty grade.

Archived