• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

General Golf Thread

Vodka Drunkenski

Mine was similar. Almost 20 years ago. Complete opposite ball flight of what I wanted. Low screaming, slicing 7 wood from 190. I was going for 200 feet hight and straight. Whatever, still made the paper and got a trophy. The ball stays in my bag full time. A Precept lolol.

Mine was a Precept too, Dunny!!! How funny is that?!?!?!

Damn dude! It's so funny how it seems the wackiest shots seem to go in!

One of my old neighbors, before they moved went with me to Swan Lake out in Manorville back in the late 80's. The 16th hole there is a shorty, about maybe 120 yds. He totally worm-burns a PW, it rolls all the way to the green, up and around the back slope, slides down, and dunks in for an ace.

I'm like, "you gotta be fuckin' kidding me???"

Without missing a beat, he goes, "...Just the way I planned it!!!" :rofl:

I still hate him for that!! When he tells the story, he makes it out to be this majestic ball flight, where the ball lands softly, then checks up like a pro, and drops in on the last roll. What a dick!! LOL

The closest I got to an ace was really similar. Was playing a match in high school on Eisenhower White where almost every green is raised and hit a super thin shot on the 5th hole and it hit the front upslope of the green then popped on and rolled towards the hole. I didn't see it but the match infront of me was waiting to tee off and they had a great reaction. Said it just lipped out.

Missed the 3 foot put

The closest I got to an ace was really similar. Was playing a match in high school on Eisenhower White where almost every green is raised and hit a super thin shot on the 5th hole and it hit the front upslope of the green then popped on and rolled towards the hole. I didn't see it but the match infront of me was waiting to tee off and they had a great reaction. Said it just lipped out.

Missed the 3 foot put

You seriously missed the putt??! Hahaha

Haven't seen a 3 footer I couldnt fuck up

I got a great tip ages ago from one of my buddies who's an assistant pro at one of the local courses by me....and one I'll NEVER FORGET!!!!

I used to blow shorties from time to time as well, Patrick.

While I was on the practice green one day, my buddy comes up and asks me what I look at when I make a putt.

I didn't know what he was getting at, so I just told him I look at the ball....

"The back? the side? the top??? he asked...

I told him sometimes I even watch my blade to make sure it's straight.....(I know, that sounds dumb now, but I did it sometimes)

He told me to focus on the side of the ball that nearest to me...(hard to describe when typing it out)

But basically I look at the part of the ball that is nearest to me and watch contact.

Let me see if I can illustrate it better: (This is looking down at the ball view)

O

The part I have underlined is what I focus on. It forces you to hit the ball solidly on the sweet spot. The ball rolls so much better and you have much more control on the green.

A lot of amateur golfers don't hit their putts squarely, which puts cut spin or hook spin on a short putt...then your fucked.

If you focus on that bottom line of the ball, you'll hit a lot more of your putts on the sweet spot...hence your 3 footer misery will eventually disappear.

Give it a whirl, and let me know Patrick! It worked wonders for me!!!:thumbs:

• Like 1

The guy who taught me and who was a great friend to my dad, had amazing patience. After a couple of Sundays watching me butcher the greens, he came up to me, put his arm around my shoulder and said softly, "Just picture that hole with a little hair around it - just put it in!"

:rofl:

Nowadays I have to picture it shaved, big guy!! :rofl:

Hey man, how've you been hittin' em? I'll give you a shout next week and we can catch up!

• 2 weeks later...

Friend's wedding last weekend and we all played 18 at a country club in VT

shot a 94, +22. +10 on the front, +12 on the back. Was a fun round, I just fucked myself on a couple of holes. had 2 birdie puts that missed by inches. started with two double bogeys so was playing catchup the whole time and one of the holes on the back 9 I triple bogeyed like an idiot because I suck at putting.

Two doubles and a Triple and you still came in under the century mark. Sounds like you kept it in play most of the day, BBB.

Putting is just repetition; if you don't really practice it at least few times a week, it gets away from you, and it's kinda like guessing. Especially on long lag putts.

I'm gonna give it a go again next week. I'm supposed to get to Timber Point http://cdn.cybergolf.com/images/549/Scorecard---Back-Page.jpg....which is a course I used to play way back when I first started. I think I was 9 or 10 years old.

There's a 207 yard par 3 on the Blue course called "Gibraltar". It plays more like 230 uphill, to a plateau green the size of a postage stamp. I used to tell everyone, the only way I'm ever going to hit that green is when they sprinkle my ashes on it!

Two doubles and a Triple and you still came in under the century mark. Sounds like you kept it in play most of the day, BBB.

Putting is just repetition; if you don't really practice it at least few times a week, it gets away from you, and it's kinda like guessing. Especially on long lag putts.

I'm gonna give it a go again next week. I'm supposed to get to Timber Point http://cdn.cybergolf.com/images/549/Scorecard---Back-Page.jpg....which is a course I used to play way back when I first started. I think I was 9 or 10 years old.

There's a 207 yard par 3 on the Blue course called "Gibraltar". It plays more like 230 uphill, to a plateau green the size of a postage stamp. I used to tell everyone, the only way I'm ever going to hit that green is when they sprinkle my ashes on it!

haha thats great.

and yeah i definitely need to work on the putting. I think I'd shave like 4-5 strokes off my game if I could sink one.

Try this, BBB.

It really helped me immensely!

I got a great tip ages ago from one of my buddies who's an assistant pro at one of the local courses by me....and one I'll NEVER FORGET!!!!

I used to blow shorties from time to time as well, Patrick.

While I was on the practice green one day, my buddy comes up and asks me what I look at when I make a putt.

I didn't know what he was getting at, so I just told him I look at the ball....

"The back? the side? the top??? he asked...

I told him sometimes I even watch my blade to make sure it's straight.....(I know, that sounds dumb now, but I did it sometimes)

He told me to focus on the side of the ball that nearest to me...(hard to describe when typing it out)

But basically I look at the part of the ball that is nearest to me and watch contact.

Let me see if I can illustrate it better: (This is looking down at the ball view)

O

The part I have underlined is what I focus on. It forces you to hit the ball solidly on the sweet spot. The ball rolls so much better and you have much more control on the green.

A lot of amateur golfers don't hit their putts squarely, which puts cut spin or hook spin on a short putt...then your fucked.

If you focus on that bottom line of the ball, you'll hit a lot more of your putts on the sweet spot...hence your 3 footer misery will eventually disappear.

Give it a whirl, and let me know Patrick! It worked wonders for me!!!:thumbs:

haha thats great.

and yeah i definitely need to work on the putting. I think I'd shave like 4-5 strokes off my game if I could sink one.

that Putt technique didn't help lol

played a lot of golf last week

Played early AM by myself at a nice little par 3 course near me. played the front 9 on Thursday a.m. and was +8 through 9. Then saturday a.m. i playd the back 9 alone and shot par on 6 of the 9 holes, and was +3

played 18 at Casperskill Club in Poughkeepsie on Sunday and shot a 94 again. Would have been better but on the 2nd hole (hardest on the course) I had a total meltdown and shot a 9 (par 5). Also had 4 putts rim out of the cup (including 2 birdie putts)

that Putt technique didn't help lol

played a lot of golf last week

Played early AM by myself at a nice little par 3 course near me. played the front 9 on Thursday a.m. and was +8 through 9. Then Saturday a.m. i played the back 9 alone and shot par on 6 of the 9 holes, and was +3

played 18 at Casperskill Club in Poughkeepsie on Sunday and shot a 94 again. Would have been better but on the 2nd hole (hardest on the course) I had a total meltdown and shot a 9 (par 5). Also had 4 putts rim out of the cup (including 2 birdie putts)

Didn't help out much??

Sounds like you're hitting the hole, though....they just aren't going down, huh?

Were you making solid contact?? ...hitting the putts on the sweet spot, I mean. If so, then it may be you're reading or playing too much break, BBB.

I do that a lot...especially when I'm lipping out a bunch. ...but then again, I can read a break on a freakin' pool table!!! :rofl:

Try playing less break, and keeping the ball "inside the hole" more.....That's what I do to keep it simple. :thumbs:

Didn't help out much??

Sounds like you're hitting the hole, though....they just aren't going down, huh?

Were you making solid contact?? ...hitting the putts on the sweet spot, I mean. If so, then it may be you're reading or playing too much break, BBB.

I do that a lot...especially when I'm lipping out a bunch. ...but then again, I can read a break on a freakin' pool table!!! :rofl:

Try playing less break, and keeping the ball "inside the hole" more.....That's what I do to keep it simple. :thumbs:

i think it had a lot to do with a green speed that im not used to (the 9 hole par 3 i mentioned is my usual course purely out of ease of access, and their greens are super slow)

Only really tried that technique the first round of the three i mentioned.

I think i definitely just tend to overread the break though.

still very happy with my overall few days of golfing.

Also learned I can/should be hitting my 52 wedge longer distances. I only own two wedges, a standard pitching wedge and the 52. Was using the 52 for short layups, but im thinking i need to get myself a 56 and a 60 for those.

i think it had a lot to do with a green speed that im not used to (the 9 hole par 3 i mentioned is my usual course purely out of ease of access, and their greens are super slow)

Only really tried that technique the first round of the three i mentioned.

I think i definitely just tend to overread the break though.

still very happy with my overall few days of golfing.

Also learned I can/should be hitting my 52 wedge longer distances. I only own two wedges, a standard pitching wedge and the 52. Was using the 52 for short layups, but im thinking i need to get myself a 56 and a 60 for those.

Save your money on the 60, BBB. I hardly ever used it, and when I did, it wasn't anything I couldn't open up a SW and do easier. The SW in my opinion is more versatile and doesn't take up an extra bag slot. I found that ditching the Lob Wedge (60), and adding a hybrid worked out way better.

As I've gotten older, I found myself farther away on long par 4's, and the use of a 21 degree hybrid put me right where I needed to be in that "200 yards to the flag" area, where I could now reach the green again....instead of trying to crush a 4 iron.

I only hit my 4 iron about 185 on the average, and I'm faced with those 200 yard shots more often than short pitches...so for me it worked. If you see more short shots, then the 60 will be the one for you....especially on a par 3 course that may fit. But the SW is easier to hit with spin and I think I have more control with my SW than a LW.

Just my 2 pennies ;)

Save your money on the 60, BBB. I hardly ever used it, and when I did, it wasn't anything I couldn't open up a SW and do easier. The SW in my opinion is more versatile and doesn't take up an extra bag slot. I found that ditching the Lob Wedge (60), and adding a hybrid worked out way better.

As I've gotten older, I found myself farther away on long par 4's, and the use of a 21 degree hybrid put me right where I needed to be in that "200 yards to the flag" area, where I could now reach the green again....instead of trying to crush a 4 iron.

I only hit my 4 iron about 185 on the average, and I'm faced with those 200 yard shots more often than short pitches...so for me it worked. If you see more short shots, then the 60 will be the one for you....especially on a par 3 course that may fit. But the SW is easier to hit with spin and I think I have more control with my SW than a LW.

Just my 2 pennies ;)

Something tells me that Ozzy can’t even see the ball on the back 9

Just my 2 pennies ;)

bought this wedge set

https://www.bombtechgolf.com/collections/shop-golf-clubs/products/rainbow-torched-bombtech-52-56-and-60-wedge-set?gclid=CjwKCAjw_o-HBhAsEiwANqYhpwZv5awSHGHqHz3YlyKEmLmOazmugwO7H70jl4p3seDPTYZEn6nT6BoCBF0QAvD_BwE

very reasonably price and ive read a lot of good reviews from this company

Looks like those babies are born to spin the ball, BBB! You should have a lot of control with the faces as big as they seem in the picture. The rainbow color type stuff would freak me out at first but it looks cool.

I use the Vokey wedges. I have a 52 and a 56. I like the bounce on the bottom of them, but these look very similar. Let me know how they play when you use 'em! :thumbs: