• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Vitali Kravtsov Exercising European Out Clause; Signing with KHL Chelyabinsk

Phil

The Rangers, per sources, are OK with the decision. The clause applies only to this season, and when Kravtsov returns – he is certainly expected to return, perhaps at the end of the 2019-20 season once the KHL season ends – he will be in the second year of his NHL entry-level contract.

Kravtsov had been a healthy scratch in Hartford’s second regular-season game, apparently for performance-based issues in Game 1.

Rangers coach David Quinn said at the time that some things in a player’s performance are “non-negotiable.” The belief was that Kravtsov was so hurt by the demotion that it affected his play – or perhaps, even, that he was pouting over the assignment.

Kravtsov, the ninth overall pick in the 2018 draft, had struggled in Hartford, with a single assist in five games.

His agent, Paul Theofanous, was at the Garden Thursday night and likely met with the Rangers’ brass there.

The Rangers, per sources, feel Kravtsov has done everything that was asked of him – coming over in the summer for workouts, making a big effort to learn the language, etc. – and are comfortable with his decision to return home for this season. Thus the Rangers didn’t feel it was necessary to force the issue with Kravtsov.

The Rangers, if they had believed Kravtsov’s progress to be on the right trajectory, could have called him up to the NHL roster, but that wasn’t the case. More likely, Kravtsov would have been looking at a long stint in Hartford.

In fact, the club feels Kravtsov could benefit from another season in Russia’s KHL, which is a more competitive league than the AHL. It could actually speed his development.

https://theathletic.com/1324561/2019/10/25/vitali-kravtsov-exercises-escape-clause-to-return-to-russias-khl/?source=weeklyemail&redirected=1

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish he would have gutted it out, too, but to think that now his development is on hold or something is bullshit.

Not on hold, but for every pro there may be of playing in the KHL, there's likely a con for not playing the NA game here and with our organization's coaches. I don't see how it speeds anything up. I won't go as far to say it stunts his development as a whole, but he won't develop the parts of his game that need to be developed based on our current coach. I don't see his situation changing much by next year.

That's ridiculous. His physical maturation isn't going to stop in the KHL. Why does he have to spend time in the AHL but other Russians don't. Is this just a Russian thing or does it apply to Swedes, too?

It's not about physical maturation IMO. It's about how he thinks the game. More mental development than physical. He already looked pretty close, if not ready, physically. Not sure how he's going to learn more by dangling the puck with open ice on the large rink.

I wish he would have gutted it out, too, but to think that now his development is on hold or something is bullshit.

My only concern is that he returns next year.

And that his entry level year is burned. I definitely think the organization didn’t handle Kravtsov properly thus far

KHL not better by much I'd say, but it's certainly on par, and much lower scoring, much more structured, much better pay.

I don't understand why they couldn't give him a one way deal, between not having that in place and the out clause that seemingly replaced it, this was pretty much inevitable the day he got cut.

My only concern is that he returns next year.

And that his entry level year is burned. I definitely think the organization didn’t handle Kravtsov properly thus far

His entry year was always going to be burned. Didn't matter where he played.

Not on hold, but for every pro there may be of playing in the KHL, there's likely a con for not playing the NA game here and with our organization's coaches. I don't see how it speeds anything up. I won't go as far to say it stunts his development as a whole, but he won't develop the parts of his game that need to be developed based on our current coach. I don't see his situation changing much by next year.

It's not about physical maturation IMO. It's about how he thinks the game. More mental development than physical. He already looked pretty close, if not ready, physically. Not sure how he's going to learn more by dangling the puck with open ice on the large rink.

I just find the large rink thing bullshit as well. Like the transition hasn't been made 20,000 times already, not to mention there's KHL teams with smaller ice. I think five at this point, maybe more now.

U know his khl salary is tax free. 700k nuff said

Hopefully he learns and matures

I did a lot of stupid shit at 19. Thank god there were no cellphones back in the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mom made me breakfast, lunch, and dinner when I was 19.

And gave me money for strip clubs

I just find tbe large rink thing bullshit as well. Lime the transition hasn't been made 20,000 times already, not to mention there's KHL teams with smaller ice. I think five at this point, maybe more now.

I don’t believe that either. The difference between KHL and NHL is talent and speed of the game.

I just find the large rink thing bullshit as well. Like the transition hasn't been made 20,000 times already, not to mention there's KHL teams with smaller ice. I think five at this point, maybe more now.
There are players who can't make the translation from the AHL to the NHL, and some players who excel in the KHL and suck in the NHL...Look at Nigel Dawes. What's so hard to believe about it taking some to adjust? He's played less than 10 pro games in NA.

Plenty of players come over and go right back, so apparently some players find the difference significant. Look at Shipyachov.

I think it's all mental adjustment and maturity (handling adversity).

OK, but you can do that in the NHL and have success while doing it. (adjusting). It doesn't have to be in the AHL.

Agree, and he would have, but which of these guys is he going to play over: Panarin, Buch, Krieder, Kakko, Lemieux, Fast.

He wasn't going to play on the 4th line. A guy like Names, Strome, you have to play them to move them. Yes Kreider has been terrible, but is he going to get benched?

Some of this stuff is uglier and makes less sense when you see it in a vacuum, but holistically...How else was this going to shake out based on Krav's actual play? What we don't talk about is that he wasn't good in the pre-season, and wasn't good in the AHL...So what was going to happen? Just give him the roster spot for no reason? Over who? Have him play on the 4th line and complain about his ES TOI?

Seems like the best likely outcome would have been for him to light up the AHL and force them to call him up, like Chytil is doing. He didn't, for whatever reason, so he's going back to the K like every other KHLer who didn't go directly to the NHL and had to spend time in the A. That's just what they do. Not saying it's right or wrong, just the trend.

Honestly, I think they already made up they?re minds to get him over this summer, and then Kakko and Panarin arrived and took two of the empty spots in the top 9.

Things got handled badly, but this is no problem for his development. As I said, Kuznetsov and Tarasenko stayed 3 and 4 years after they got drafted. We drafted Kravtsov last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Honestly, I think they already made up they’re minds to get him over this summer, and then Kakko and Panarin arrived and took two of the empty spots in the top 9.

Things got handled badly, but this is no problem for his development. As I said, Kuznetsov and Tarasenko stayed 3 and 4 years after they got drafted. We drafted Kravtsov last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

This