• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lias Andersson Leaves the Team; Requests Trade

Phil

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even now, when Howden sucks on the 4th line, QUinn moves him up and gives him offensive linemates.

Andersson wasn?t even given that opportunity when he earned it during preseason

I think that this is the only defensible point for Andersson. Would it really have killed Quinn to have played Andersson 2 or 3 games with Jesper Fast and Lemieux on his wings?

At this point it is spilled milk though, since he used the nuclear option and asked for a trade. Really bad idea; should have shut up and focused on being a point per game player like Chytil did and worked his way back to the NHL. Rangers will be lucky to get a 6th round pick at this point, and no team is going to feel obligated to give him a chance with a low price tag and a stat line like he has. Kinda sad how everyone kind of loses in this situation.

I think that this is the only defensible point for Andersson. Would it really have killed Quinn to have played Andersson 2 or 3 games with Jesper Fast and Lemieux on his wings?

At this point it is spilled milk though, since he used the nuclear option and asked for a trade. Really bad idea; should have shut up and focused on being a point per game player like Chytil did and worked his way back to the NHL. Rangers will be lucky to get a 6th round pick at this point, and no team is going to feel obligated to give him a chance with a low price tag and a stat line like he has. Kinda sad how everyone kind of loses in this situation.

In the big picture, if Quinn is preaching "you have to play a certain way to get ice time" and Lias isn't doing that, then yes it does kill you to put him on the third line and give him more ice time for not playing the right way.

Everybody wants to complain about his linemates, but people also forget that for the first 6-7 games he was very noticeable and playing some good hockey. Then he just fell off the map.

At the end of the day people are going to blame whoever they want, if you don't like the coach you're going to blame the coach, if you don't like the player you're going to blame the player. That said, there are things that he could have done that were within his control, and he didn't do them. Then he went down to the AHL and was no better. Who's to blame for that one? Quinn?

In the big picture, if Quinn is preaching "you have to play a certain way to get ice time" and Lias isn't doing that, then yes it does kill you to put him on the third line and give him more ice time for not playing the right way.

Everybody wants to complain about his linemates, but people also forget that for the first 6-7 games he was very noticeable and playing some good hockey. Then he just fell off the map.

At the end of the day people are going to blame whoever they want, if you don't like the coach you're going to blame the coach, if you don't like the player you're going to blame the player. That said, there are things that he could have done that were within his control, and he didn't do them. Then he went down to the AHL and was no better. Who's to blame for that one? Quinn?

Think we are talking past each other here; I agree with everything that you said except what I underlined. As you acknowledge he was playing that style for the first 6-7 games. I am only saying he should have gotten a chance with marginally better linemates just to see if he was capable of generating offense to go with what was above par defensive play. Think of it as due dilligence; he has given Lemieux & Fast both minutes in the top 6, why not Andersson a third line role for a game or two?

At this point it is s redundant argument though.

And Quinn said as much in his post-game presser at one point and gave him more ice time for a couple of games.

Lias didn’t do anything with it.

Personally, I agree with Lias having a very short leash, and I do feel that he probably should have had more games with more ice time in the early going.

But it’s undeniable that Quinn didn’t like his pace or how he was playing, and you can’t argue that while his circumstances and opportunities may not have been great, he did very little.

It’s pretty clear that there are issues with this kid behind closed doors. We may never hear about them in specificity as teams don’t torpedo players like that publicly, but all signs point to that.

I don’t really think it’s anyone’s fault. Andersson just isn’t that good. You can’t get blood from a stone. I don’t see how you can blame DQ. It’s not like Lias has earned much this year or even last year. Lias drawing attention to himself by throwing away a medal was a head scratcher when you combine that with him quitting now on the organization that drafted him high and believed in him more than most.

Think we are talking past each other here; I agree with everything that you said except what I underlined. As you acknowledge he was playing that style for the first 6-7 games. I am only saying he should have gotten a chance with marginally better linemates just to see if he was capable of generating offense to go with what was above par defensive play. Think of it as due dilligence; he has given Lemieux & Fast both minutes in the top 6, why not Andersson a third line role for a game or two?

At this point it is s redundant argument though.

As I said, it sends the wrong message to the player.

It's going to be comical when they move Lias and he's put back in the same position he's in now. He is entitled to nothing. If you think youre a walk-on because your ego says so - take a hike. Don't blame Quinn.

Here here

If he goes elsewhere, he’s going to play bottom six minutes or play in the A, wherever he ends up.

It pretty poor self awareness on Andersson's behalf I think. They were trying to turn him in to something useful, a bottom six weapon, and I dunno if he ever really embraced that.

That's what he is, in a best case scenario. If he thinks he's something else he's delusional.

It pretty poor self awareness on Andersson's behalf I think. They were trying to turn him in to something useful, a bottom six weapon, and I dunno if he ever really embraced that.

That's what he is, in a best case scenario. If he thinks he's something else he's delusional.

Yup

Clearly he’s not aware that his future is most likely as a bottom-6 guy. Needed to embrace that and he hasn’t.

They even gave him every opportunity in Hartford recently to prove them otherwise. He'd been playing top six with top powerplay minutes and no PK. They limited his defensive responsibility and he never took off. He had one game where he popped off against the worst team in the AHL and then a bunch of nothing.

What do you think the market is for a player who lacks speed and explosiveness, is not particularly creative with the puck, and who walked out on his organization a day after the Dec. 19-27 NHL holiday trade moratorium kicked in?

Perhaps the Predators would be willing to discuss an exchange for Finnish winger Eeli Tolvanen, the 30th-overall selection of that same draft, another one whose star has dimmed ? Nashville refused to make him available for a Rick Nash rental deal in 2018 ? and who has been stuck in AHL-Milwaukee all season.

https://nypost.com/2019/12/22/lias-andersson-and-his-unacceptable-rangers-stunt-wont-be-missed/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&sr_share=twitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPSportsTwitter&__twitter_impression=true

The problem is we are in a bad position. Requesting a trade lowers his value and his value isn’t exactly high either. Catering to him and bringing him up sets a bad precedence of giving in to cry babies. However, it also gives Lias the best possible chance to showcase who he is. WHat to do.....

Andersson's camp might do well to consider what would have happened had he been drafted between Nos. 15 and 20, as he should have been and as he was projected by most everyone but the Rangers. In the organization of a playoff team rather than one in a rebuild, he would not have gotten 66 NHL games to date and probably would not have seen the NHL at all. There is no reason to believe that he would have done any better in the AHL than he has during his substantial stays there with the Rangers. Does he think he's going to be on an NHL roster after the trade? As Uncle Larry notes, some stunt quitting the team right at the start of the trade blackout. The Rangers should donate the salary they are saving during his suspension to Garden of Dreams.