• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lias Andersson Leaves the Team; Requests Trade

Phil

All the knives are out for Andersson now, not that I mind, but it's all stuff that was pointed out years ago and guys like Brooks and Carpiniello were silent.

Now, they kick him on the way out. Carpiniellos Athletic piece was particularly harsh.

If they're going to stay quiet because of their relationship with the Rangers Org then they aren't doing their job.

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andersson's camp might do well to consider what would have happened had he been drafted between Nos. 15 and 20, as he should have been and as he was projected by most everyone but the Rangers. In the organization of a playoff team rather than one in a rebuild, he would not have gotten 66 NHL games to date and probably would not have seen the NHL at all. There is no reason to believe that he would have done any better in the AHL than he has during his substantial stays there with the Rangers. Does he think he's going to be on an NHL roster after the trade? As Uncle Larry notes, some stunt quitting the team right at the start of the trade blackout. The Rangers should donate the salary they are saving during his suspension to Garden of Dreams.

Not to defend the pick, but the '17 draft was pretty weak and very confusing. Nobody seemed to have a handle on the rankings beyond Hischier and Patrick.

Andersson was ranked anywhere from like...11 to 30 depending on where you looked.

I really think they wanted Pettersson, then panicked when they realized they needed to hit on the pick and chose the consensus safest player. Either that, or the scouting team just didn't spend much time on the top 10 since they didn't think they'd have a pick and nobody thought to ask whether we've done our due diligence to hit on the pick.

I saw this yesterday and thought of you guys right away. I can't help but think what a waste of a first rounder. I'm not sure what to think; Part of me is like, "Fuck this kid! You didn't do shit to deserve anything here", and another part of me is thinking he's a fucking kid and doesn't even know how to conduct himself.

I agree with Edmonton in the fact that he plays at a slower pace, and I think that's what Quinn was trying to get him to do.

He comes off as a spoiled 21 year old brat; I suppose that shit with the silver medal was just a sign of things to come. Next time we'll know better!

I was a fan of Andersson, and wanted to see him succeed with another chance here....but sometimes you're your own worst enemy. (Take it from someone who knows!) :rofl:

Not to defend the pick, but the '17 draft was pretty weak and very confusing. Nobody seemed to have a handle on the rankings beyond Hischier and Patrick.

Andersson was ranked anywhere from like...11 to 30 depending on where you looked.

I really think they wanted Pettersson, then panicked when they realized they needed to hit on the pick and chose the consensus safest player. Either that, or the scouting team just didn't spend much time on the top 10 since they didn't think they'd have a pick and nobody thought to ask whether we've done our due diligence to hit on the pick.

They panicked. ISS had Petterson #20, they tried to get Vancouver's pick and couldn't. They should have known then something was up. This is a Clark fuck up in a long list of Clark fuck ups.

"One source close to the situation said Andersson thinks he?s better than he actually is. He thought he had a great camp, and it was decent, but certainly not great. And he also thinks he?s better than Howden, and the Rangers don?t. As Quinn explained after practice Saturday, ?I think (Howden) has been a little bit inconsistent, but I think he always plays with the right intentions. And we continue to work with him and have patience with him. As I?ve said before, there are different reasons with a young player why one may get chances and another guy may not, and to me it?s all about your intentions. What are your intentions? Is your effort in the right area? Are you trying to do the right thing? And if that?s the case and you make mistakes, that?s part of growing. But there are certain things that are not acceptable if you?re struggling. ? You never question his effort or his intentions.? That, he added, is why Howden gets more leash than some others. Howden was also getting a turn on the wing Sunday.

When Andersson was demoted to Hartford, after not earning much more than fourth-line minutes with the Rangers, he sulked there. He blamed Quinn. And by the way, this idea the coach doesn?t like him, or any player, is completely absurd."

https://theathletic.com/1481381/2019/12/22/with-lias-andersson-drama-as-a-backdrop-rangers-put-on-a-show-against-the-ducks?source=shared-article

##

Pretty fair write up of the situation. Doesn't blame Lias completely, but the quoted is scathing.

They panicked. ISS had Petterson #20, they tried to get Vancouver's pick and couldn't. They should have known then something was up. This is a Clark fuck up in a long list of Clark fuck ups.

ISS is an independent scouting service that's not very good especially when it comes to European prospects. Not to be confused with CSS which is associated with the league but has its own faults i.e. submitting final lists in March. Most anyone had Pettersson top 10 and rising. I don't think there was the expectation that Vilardi would fall as hard as he did. If he doesn't then the Rangers probably don't end up with Andersson and one of Glass or Pettersson.

ISS is an independent scouting service that's not very good especially when it comes to European prospects. Not to be confused with CSS which is associated with the league but has its own faults i.e. submitting final lists in March. Most anyone had Pettersson top 10 and rising. I don't think there was the expectation that Vilardi would fall as hard as he did. If he doesn't then the Rangers probably don't end up with Andersson and one of Glass or Pettersson.
No one had Vancouver taking Pettersson where they did, which is the point.

"One source close to the situation said Andersson thinks he’s better than he actually is. He thought he had a great camp, and it was decent, but certainly not great. And he also thinks he’s better than Howden, and the Rangers don’t. As Quinn explained after practice Saturday, “I think (Howden) has been a little bit inconsistent, but I think he always plays with the right intentions. And we continue to work with him and have patience with him. As I’ve said before, there are different reasons with a young player why one may get chances and another guy may not, and to me it’s all about your intentions. What are your intentions? Is your effort in the right area? Are you trying to do the right thing? And if that’s the case and you make mistakes, that’s part of growing. But there are certain things that are not acceptable if you’re struggling. … You never question his effort or his intentions.” That, he added, is why Howden gets more leash than some others. Howden was also getting a turn on the wing Sunday.

When Andersson was demoted to Hartford, after not earning much more than fourth-line minutes with the Rangers, he sulked there. He blamed Quinn. And by the way, this idea the coach doesn’t like him, or any player, is completely absurd."

https://theathletic.com/1481381/2019/12/22/with-lias-andersson-drama-as-a-backdrop-rangers-put-on-a-show-against-the-ducks?source=shared-article

##

Pretty fair write up of the situation. Doesn't blame Lias completely, but the quoted is scathing.

My translation of this is simply: "Howden is a cool kid that the guys like, and Andersson is a flaming douche canoe".

"One source close to the situation said Andersson thinks he?s better than he actually is. He thought he had a great camp, and it was decent, but certainly not great. And he also thinks he?s better than Howden, and the Rangers don?t. As Quinn explained after practice Saturday, ?I think (Howden) has been a little bit inconsistent, but I think he always plays with the right intentions. And we continue to work with him and have patience with him. As I?ve said before, there are different reasons with a young player why one may get chances and another guy may not, and to me it?s all about your intentions. What are your intentions? Is your effort in the right area? Are you trying to do the right thing? And if that?s the case and you make mistakes, that?s part of growing. But there are certain things that are not acceptable if you?re struggling. ? You never question his effort or his intentions.? That, he added, is why Howden gets more leash than some others. Howden was also getting a turn on the wing Sunday.

When Andersson was demoted to Hartford, after not earning much more than fourth-line minutes with the Rangers, he sulked there. He blamed Quinn. And by the way, this idea the coach doesn?t like him, or any player, is completely absurd."

##

Well, there you have it. I understand it sucks to be put in the AHL when you think you deserve better, but fucking prove it, dude.

I was for his demotion, but I also stood up for him when he was shit on the last two years. I feel betrayed, lol. Fuck this kid.

Well, there you have it. I understand it sucks to be put in the AHL when you think you deserve better, but fucking prove it, dude.

I was for his demotion, but I also stood up for him when he was shit on the last two years. I feel betrayed, lol. Fuck this kid.

Yup. He definitely needed to be demoted when he wasn't going to get the ice time to show if he had anything. So he needed to get it in the AHL. Then he was failing at that level and there were no more excuses left, so he tucked his balls and went home.

I will say that I gave him the benefit of the doubt on the medal toss. While I knew there was a chance it was maybe because he was just being a spoiled little bitch, I thought perhaps it was a moment of competitiveness mixed with a burning desire to accept nothing short of winning. Hypothetically, that would then translate to a max effort level 11 times out of 10. This could not have been further from the case. The Rangers PR machine was out there since day 1 hyping this kid's readiness, compete level, and leadership. Oof...if you want to talk about feeling betrayed...

I've always felt that the medal toss was a horrible example of a spoiled little bitch that just didn't get it. I thought of my own son doing something like that an how appalled I'd have been. I'd probably have made him apologize to all the people that work so hard to make sure that the tournament continuously runs well. Also, while on the subject of my son, his Bantam Major team just had a coaching change after his previous coach (Krystof Oliwa) bailed due to a financial dispute with the club. The new coach came in and made a comment about our 6th or 7th forward being the best player on the team (which he's not). My son was slightly agitated because he is the leading scorer to date and feels that he wasn't getting treated fairly. I told him that he just has to prove to the new coach who really is the best on the team...and that means working hard during every drill in every practice along with every shift in every game. Something tells me Andersson wasn't doing any of that. Just sulking and moping without putting forth the best effort. It's unacceptable at any level but completely unacceptable as a professional.

This. It pisses me off because of the betrayal; I am/was one of the biggest Lias apologists here.

Mike Murphy on the Blueshirt Banter podcast had an interesting take that this failure is a "team effort"; in that the scouting staff failed in picking/rating him so high, the organization failed by hyping his readiness, the coaching staff failed in developing him, and Lias himself failed for not performing when given NHL minutes & ultimately quitting. There was definitely a much better way soliciting a trade if he honestly felt that he was not going to be given an opportunity to succeed here.

This. It pisses me off because of the betrayal; I am/was one of the biggest Lias apologists here.

Mike Murphy on the Blueshirt Banter podcast had an interesting take that this failure is a "team effort"; in that the scouting staff failed in picking/rating him so high, the organization failed by hyping his readiness, the coaching staff failed in developing him, and Lias himself failed for not performing when given NHL minutes & ultimately quitting. There was definitely a much better way soliciting a trade if he honestly felt that he was not going to be given an opportunity to succeed here.

There's some truth to that. You can debate the way the organization handled him both ways until you're blue in the face, but you can't debate that he massively hurt his own career with this move.