• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lias Andersson Leaves the Team; Requests Trade

Phil

Since the 2009 draft:

Chris Kreider - Has done absolutely nothing except underachieve and is on the trade block annually. Amazing how year after year, the Glocesterman has not managed to trade Kreider, if he is so great, a contending team would have jumped at the chance to get him.

Jesper Fast - A not very "Fast" but nice JAG player

JT Miller - the Decent player, gone

Brady Skjei - A nice JAG player

Boo Nieves -

Pavel Buchnevich -

Anthony Duclair -

Ryan Graves - Who? Any relation to the real Graves?

Igor Shestyorkin - Good GT prospect

Filip Chytil - has gotten better and has potential

Morgan Baron - Who?

Vitali Kravtsov -

K' Andre Miller - Who?

Nils Lundkvist - JAG Player

Joey Keane - Who?

Kaapo Kakko - Could be the Ryan Leaf of the NHL. SO FAR, and only so far meaning he could get better, but so far he has been the biggest disappointment I have ever witnessed as a hockey fan considering his billing going into the draft. He's young, big and supposedly talented, so I hope maybe he will get better. If not we are screwed, having a #2 pick in a draft does not happen very often. Kakko rivals Ken Hodge as possibly the biggest disappointment in Ranger's history to this point.

Mathew Robertson - Who?

Where's Lias? Don't see him here. Conveniently.

There are maybe 3-4 players that are decent NHL'ers and the goalie, who we have not seen yet. Nothing more.

The fact of the matter is we are a mediocre non-playoff team that can not win more than 2 games in a row before going on multi-game losing streaks, have a bunch of average to below-average young kids with seemingly zero direction, and, in my humble opinion, a very, very questionable future. The only saving grace is JD. I am hoping he takes over the player personnel oversight as he seemed to build 2 really solid teams in STL and CMH.

Just one man's "uneducated" opinion.

I expected more out of Kakko, right now he's a disappointment, but let's hope he can only get better. Brady Skjei? We gave him too much money and now has become a liability on Defense (meaning he's a good offensive defenseman, but always gets caught on Defense).

BTW, you are correct. We are a mediocre team that is barely on the bubble to make the Playoffs. But let's hope JD will get us out of these rough waters and that's what we're on right now: rough waters, everyone.

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the 2009 draft:

Chris Kreider - Has done absolutely nothing except underachieve and is on the trade block annually. Amazing how year after year, the Glocesterman has not managed to trade Kreider, if he is so great, a contending team would have jumped at the chance to get him.

JT Miller - Decent player, gone

Boo Nieves -

Pavel Buchnevich -

Anthony Duclair -

Filip Chytil - Has gotten better and has potential

Morgan Baron - Who?

Vitali Kravtsov -

K' Andre Miller - Who?

Joey Keane - Who?

Kaapo Kakko - Could be the Ryan Leaf of the NHL. SO FAR, and only so far meaning he could get better, but so far he has been the biggest disappointment I have ever witnessed as a hockey fan considering his billing going into the draft. He's young, big and supposedly talented, so I hope maybe he will get better. If not we are screwed, having a #2 pick in a draft does not happen very often. Kakko rivals Ken Hodge as possibly the biggest disappointment in Ranger history to this point.

Mathew Robertson - Who?

There are maybe 3-4 players that are decent NHL'ers and the goalie, who we have not seen yet. Nothing more.

Fact of the matter is we are a mediocre non playoff team that can not win more than 2 games in a row before going on multi game losing streaks, have a bunch of average to below average young kids with seemingly zero direction, and, in my humble opinion, a very, very questionable future. The only saving grace is JD. I am hoping he takes over the player personnel oversight as he seemed to build 2 really solid teams in STL and CMH.

Nice work, not that I necessarily agree with everything I think most are pretty accurate. Kakko hasn't lived up to the hype and when it comes to him and the others that are in the pipeline/kids until they prove themselves at the NHL level they're unknowns. There's a handful of others that certainly haven't moved the needle.

Since the 2009 draft:

Boo Nieves -

Pavel Buchnevich -

Anthony Duclair -

Morgan Baron - Who?

Vitali Kravtsov -

K' Andre Miller - Who?

Joey Keane - Who?

Kaapo Kakko - Could be the Ryan Leaf of the NHL. SO FAR, and only so far meaning he could get better, but so far he has been the biggest disappointment I have ever witnessed as a hockey fan considering his billing going into the draft. He's young, big and supposedly talented, so I hope maybe he will get better. If not we are screwed, having a #2 pick in a draft does not happen very often. Kakko rivals Ken Hodge as possibly the biggest disappointment in Ranger history to this point.

Mathew Robertson - Who?

Fact of the matter is we are a mediocre non playoff team that can not win more than 2 games in a row before going on multi game losing streaks, have a bunch of average to below average young kids with seemingly zero direction, and, in my humble opinion, a very, very questionable future. The only saving grace is JD. I am hoping he takes over the player personnel oversight as he seemed to build 2 really solid teams in STL and CMH.

I’ll blame this post on eggnog.

• Like 1

Since the 2009 draft:

Boo Nieves -

Pavel Buchnevich -

Anthony Duclair -

Morgan Baron - Who?

Vitali Kravtsov -

K' Andre Miller - Who?

Joey Keane - Who?

Mathew Robertson - Who?

Things are getting toxic around here...

Since the 2009 draft:

Boo Nieves -

Pavel Buchnevich -

Anthony Duclair -

Morgan Baron - Who?

Vitali Kravtsov -

K' Andre Miller - Who?

Joey Keane - Who?

Mathew Robertson - Who?

Uneducated is accurate.

Let?s be factual here for a minute: you?ve watched zero of Lundkvist, Miller or Kravstov. Beyond that, you?ve put zero effort into actually learning anything about these players, yet you speak as if your opinion is valid here, when in reality it?s flat out now.

Do you not get how absurd it is that you?re replying to someone basically saying ?I don?t know anything BUT!?

I don?t know if you?re trolling or what, but you?re clearly very much not someone who should be commenting on the proficiency of this organizations drafting, you?ve put no work into constructing any of your thoughts.

For the record, K?Andre Miller has been talked about by guys like Ryan Kennedy as a star in the making. Nils Lundkvist is on pace to be the best scoring teenage defenseman in SHL history and has extremely high hockey IW combined with great skating and footwork. Kravstov has a bad start, which happens. He tried something that he was contractually allowed to do. He?s since come back to NA and looked like he?s back on track.

I?m not going through every prospect in your list because honestly, it?s not worth it. You haven?t proven to have any credibility that makes this a worthwhile post to spend anymore time on.

• Like 6

Uneducated is accurate.

Let’s be factual here for a minute: you’ve watched zero of Lundkvist, Miller or Kravstov. Beyond that, you’ve put zero effort into actually learning anything about these players, yet you speak as if your opinion is valid here, when in reality it’s flat out now.

Do you not get how absurd it is that you’re replying to someone basically saying “I don’t know anything BUT!”

I don’t know if you’re trolling or what, but you’re clearly very much not someone who should be commenting on the proficiency of this organizations drafting, you’ve put no work into constructing any of your thoughts.

For the record, K’Andre Miller has been talked about by guys like Ryan Kennedy as a star in the making. Nils Lundkvist is on pace to be the best scoring teenage defenseman in SHL history and has extremely high hockey IW combined with great skating and footwork. Kravstov has a bad start, which happens. He tried something that he was contractually allowed to do. He’s since come back to NA and looked like he’s back on track.

I’m not going through every prospect in your list because honestly, it’s not worth it. You haven’t proven to have any credibility that makes this a worthwhile post to spend anymore time on.

tenor.gif?itemid=7413222

I don't think it's unfair to say the young guys that aren't up here are unknowns until they prove something going forward at this level. Writing them off is unfair but so is assuming they're going to be studs and for that matter anything in between. All the hype around Kakko being NHL ready and all that should give us all pause. He at this point can't even hold onto his PP1 slot and he's a below average 5x5 guy who's invisible on many nights. I don't think that was the expectation by many. Hopefully some of them pan out and don't go by the wayside like Lias.

It is believed Andersson spent the holiday with his family in the New York area. It is unclear whether the Rangers would welcome the Swede back if he has a change of heart, though the organization probably might have a collective-bargaining agreement issue in holding to an indefinite suspension.

https://nypost.com/2019/12/28/interest-in-suspended-ranger-lias-andersson-about-what-youd-expect/

Larry is being vague on this. what?s the CBA position here? can?t imagine we have to pay this kid another nickel but what happens if it drags out?

I don't think it's unfair to say the young guys that aren't up here are unknowns until they prove something going forward at this level. Writing them off is unfair but so is assuming they're going to be studs and for that matter anything in between. All the hype around Kakko being NHL ready and all that should give us all pause. He at this point can't even hold onto his PP1 slot and he's a below average 5x5 guy who's invisible on many nights. I don't think that was the expectation by many. Hopefully some of them pan out and don't go by the wayside like Lias.

Just remind yourself that he's 18 and on pace for around 35-40 points, which is...oh, would you look at that, par for the fucking course for 18 year old 2nd overall picks. If he keeps playing like he has over the last month through March, start worrying. He should "figure it out" around game 55, finish strong, and push next year.

This whole thread has degenerated into a melodramatic overreaction to the simple reality that we traded our first round picks for the first 6 years of the decade trying to win a cup. So...uh...you know, without first rounders its kinda hard to develop good talent, seeing as you're hoping to get around 1.5 NHLers in a draft, and the 1 is usually the 1st rounder. That the 18 year old isn't carrying the team on his back, the 20 year olds look like...20 year olds, and the defensive prospects are still in the pipeline isn't bad. It's called rebuilding.

Since the 2009 draft:

Boo Nieves -

Pavel Buchnevich -

Anthony Duclair -

Morgan Baron - Who?

Vitali Kravtsov -

K' Andre Miller - Who?

Joey Keane - Who?

Mathew Robertson - Who?

You're ignoring a lot of context that gives some meaning to this. Especially when you just "who?" the top prospects in the organization like they're not in some way part of the future.

Chris Kreider - At 19th overall, getting a 45-50 point/year power forward is pretty damn good value. He's probably at the end of his time with us, barring wanting to take a sweetheart deal.

Jesper Fast - Getting a bottom 6 defensive forward/PK stud in the 6th round is a fantastic value pick.

JT Miller - Decent player, gone - that's about right.

Brady Skjei - 2nd pairing D with the 29th overall is actually a great value pick. 25-30th overalls have about a 40% chance of panning out as NHLers.

Boo Nieves - Don't care for him. Never did. If he panned out in any way, it was good value at the end of the 2nd round.

Pavel Buchnevich - 23. Enigmatic. Passes too much. Probably good for 40-50 points a year in his prime, which, with a third round pick, is excellent value.

Anthony Duclair - Probably better than he showed with us. Needed time we were never going to give him. Probably getting very rich shortly.

Ryan Graves - Has become a 2nd pairing D with the Avalanche and has 6 goals on the season already. Probably moved him too soon to gamble on Bigras. Had we kept him, we'd have him up, and again, I believe he was a 6th rounder?

Igor Shestyorkin - Probably the best goaltending prospect in the world right now. Hell of a pick.

Filip Chytil - Looks like he's a year off a true breakout, but the potential is there, and he's earning the time.

Morgan Barron - Projects as a mid six center. Incredible size, good scoring touch. Again, a very late pick looking like he'll pan out as an NHLer of some kind.

Vitali Kravtsov - Is fucking 19 years old and has two years in the pros already. Needs time to adjust.

K' Andre Miller - Is the top defensman on U-Wisc (a noted D factory) and is widely considered one of the better picks of his draft as of right now. Projecting strong, should be a staple on our backend for years. Wearing the C for USA at WJC.

Nils Lundkvist - Is currently setting the U20 scoring record in Sweden.

Joey Keane - Probably a 5-6th D

Kaapo Kakko - is 18. Is in the NHL. Is probably going to be exactly what most 18 year old 2nd overalls are in their first year.

Mathew Robertson - Having a fine D+1 season

Zac Jones - Just plucked a WJC spot from the 13th overall pick and has run with it pretty nicely. Looking like another strong mid-rounder.

If you want to lament that we don't draft or develop superstar talent - that's fine. We also almost never got the picks to do that because we were competing for cups. To say we're not going to have a future because our 18 year old 2nd overall is playing like an 18 year old 2nd overall and Lias Andersson is basically a bust is a dramatic overreaction. To expect that a team in the middle of a rebuild is going to make the playoffs is optimistic at best.

• Like 3

You're ignoring a lot of context that gives some meaning to this. Especially when you just "who?" the top prospects in the organization like they're not in some way part of the future.

Chris Kreider - At 19th overall, getting a 45-50 point/year power forward is pretty damn good value. He's probably at the end of his time with us, barring wanting to take a sweetheart deal.

Jesper Fast - Getting a bottom 6 defensive forward/PK stud in the 6th round is a fantastic value pick.

Brady Skjei - 2nd pairing D with the 29th overall is actually a great value pick. 25-30th overalls have about a 40% chance of panning out as NHLers.

Boo Nieves - Don't care for him. Never did. If he panned out in any way, it was good value at the end of the 2nd round.

Pavel Buchnevich - 23. Enigmatic. Passes too much. Probably good for 40-50 points a year in his prime, which, with a third round pick, is excellent value.

Anthony Duclair - Probably better than he showed with us. Needed time we were never going to give him. Probably getting very rich shortly.

Ryan Graves - Has become a 2nd pairing D with the Avalanche and has 6 goals on the season already. Probably moved him too soon to gamble on Bigras. Had we kept him, we'd have him up, and again, I believe he was a 6th rounder?

Igor Shestyorkin - Probably the best goaltending prospect in the world right now. Hell of a pick.

Filip Chytil - Looks like he's a year off a true breakout, but the potential is there, and he's earning the time.

Morgan Barron - Projects as a mid six center. Incredible size, good scoring touch. Again, a very late pick looking like he'll pan out as an NHLer of some kind.

Vitali Kravtsov - Is fucking 19 years old and has two years in the pros already. Needs time to adjust.

K' Andre Miller - Is the top defensman on U-Wisc (a noted D factory) and is widely considered one of the better picks of his draft as of right now. Projecting strong, should be a staple on our backend for years. Wearing the C for USA at WJC.

Kaapo Kakko - is 18. Is in the NHL. Is probably going to be exactly what most 18 year old 2nd overalls are in their first year.

Zac Jones - Just plucked a WJC spot from the 13th overall pick and has run with it pretty nicely. Looking like another strong mid-rounder.

If you want to lament that we don't draft or develop superstar talent - that's fine. We also almost never got the picks to do that because we were competing for cups. To say we're not going to have a future because our 18 year old 2nd overall is playing like an 18 year old 2nd overall and Lias Andersson is basically a bust is a dramatic overreaction. To expect that a team in the middle of a rebuild is going to make the playoffs is optimistic at best.

This is where I would have gone with a reply to that drivel. It seemed like a troll post though to be honest so I decided it wasn't worth the time. Repped.

What potential does he have? He was never a big time scorer, anywhere or in in any tournament, to my knowledge.

What should he be excelling at? Average speed, average shot, average playmaking ability ... All at the time of the draft.

Why is it on DQ? He's playing alllllll the kids in key situations and the only one who isn't is in Russia because we flat out wasn't ready.

If you want to question Howden over Andersson that's fine, but all you're really doing is complaining that DQ isn't playing the kids YOU want him to play... That's not the same. Neither one of these guys are great, but at least you know Howden was in the game. Andersson doesn't know what color the puck is because he doesn't touch it.

What I want to know is, where's the pissed off kid that threw the medal (minus the immaturity)? Where's the kid who shows some fight when he's losing? Maybe that's what DQ is waiting for, and not the shell who glides around aimlessly not moving his feet. Watch the 4th line closely. He's literally the only one not skating. And if the reply is "well I wouldn't skate either if I was with 4th line scrubs" then my answer is that HE is currently a 4th line scrub.

He shouldn't be traded because he's a young, cost controlled bottom 6 player. Those are the "danger zone" contracts where you typically overpay. No need to move him. He's a fine 4th line center.

If what you are saying above is true then why did they take an "average" player 7th overall?

Looking at other cha ge of scenery candidates.. Maybe there's a way to pry Logan Brown out of Ottawa?

Andersson/Georgiev? Andersson/????

I’m thinking they go slightly older, a guy with a contract a team is trying to dump. Sam Bennett? Or is he on managements good side this week?

Just remind yourself that he's 18 and on pace for around 35-40 points, which is...oh, would you look at that, par for the fucking course for 18 year old 2nd overall picks. If he keeps playing like he has over the last month through March, start worrying. He should "figure it out" around game 55, finish strong, and push next year.

This whole thread has degenerated into a melodramatic overreaction to the simple reality that we traded our first round picks for the first 6 years of the decade trying to win a cup. So...uh...you know, without first rounders its kinda hard to develop good talent, seeing as you're hoping to get around 1.5 NHLers in a draft, and the 1 is usually the 1st rounder. That the 18 year old isn't carrying the team on his back, the 20 year olds look like...20 year olds, and the defensive prospects are still in the pipeline isn't bad. It's called rebuilding.

Ok I feel much better that "he should" figure it out around game "55" (who knew 55 was a magic #). Clearly you're a much better fan because I'm mean most of us are I guess melodramatic. I'm not sure what trading away our firsts for 6 years has to do with Kakko struggling to find his game. But yeah, ok. I mean on a positive note we probably both wish the team success, just don't agree on some of our opinions about players now and then and what they might become in the future. Pretty sure not many here would of slotted in Kakko in the 35-40 point range going in. He may very well develop into a stud but no time soon at this rate.

A lot to do wth lack of patience for fans and management.

Also, I love to point out lack of development, as most of us feel most of these guys didn’t reach potential. And rarely, do we see guys exceed potential (not since Hagelin, Callahan, probably. And those are role players, not point producers)

The biggest issue being, guys are playing better when they leave.

Also, I love to point out lack of development, as most of us feel most of these guys didn?t reach potential. And rarely, do we see guys exceed potential (not since Hagelin, Callahan, probably. And those are role players, not point producers)

Not every player is cut out for NYC, either.

Ok I feel much better that "he should" figure it out around game "55" (who knew 55 was a magic #). Clearly you're a much better fan because I'm mean most of us are I guess melodramatic. I'm not sure what trading away our firsts for 6 years has to do with Kakko struggling to find his game. But yeah, ok. I mean on a positive note we probably both wish the team success, just don't agree on some of our opinions about players now and then and what they might become in the future. Pretty sure not many here would of slotted in Kakko in the 35-40 point range going in. He may very well develop into a stud but no time soon at this rate.

It's not a matter of "better fan" or not. It's a matter of calibrating expectations for what an 18 year old is capable of in the NHL. We know Kakko isn't Crosby/Eichel/McDavid. Expecting 60+ points from him was overly optimistic given what we know about 18 year olds in the NHL. They tend to do exactly what he's doing - ups and downs, streaks and struggled, probably figure it out around the TDL, give you a peek of what they're capable of, and rise another level in the second season. Aside from the obvious exceptions, take a peek.

It's also that this thread has taken a left turn - Lias was not the right pick in that spot, and I'm not really sure who would have been better. Some of the thoughts in this thread are "we failed with Lias and we haven't developed youngsters in like 10 years, therefore we're fucked", which is wrong on both fronts and an overly defeatist stance seeing as we have top tier kids not playing in the NHL yet - and frankly, some pretty high end talent already on the team in Kakko, Chytil, Fox, DeAngelo, and others searching for the consistency that would make them the players we hope for.

Also, I love to point out lack of development, as most of us feel most of these guys didn?t reach potential. And rarely, do we see guys exceed potential (not since Hagelin, Callahan, probably. And those are role players, not point producers)

Thanks to everyone else who backed up my post to the guy who sarcastically called himself "uneducated", and then listed "Who" next to 4 of the top 12 prospects(all of whom are coincidentally not playing at the NHL level) in the organization. I was coming down with the flu when I wrote that original post, so I apologize if it came off as snarky.

What I was really trying to articulate was that we do a decent enough job getting value later in and outside of the first round. If you drill into the numbers, you can always find players that should have been chosen over others, but that the Rangers have done a credible job given that they have not really been in a position to draft elite talent all that often.

Talking purely from an evaluation standpoint, where I think that the front office does deserve a heap of criticism is when they draft inside the top 10. When Dylan McIlrath, Al Montoya, Dan Blackburn, Pavel Brndl, & Jamie Lundmark is what you have to show for the last 20 years; the optics are not good. Especially when it is easy to shuffle in Hugh Jessiman, Bobby Sanguetti, & Alexi Cheperanov. Granted Blackburn & Cheparanov were both tragic in their own way; I think it leads to this "the Rangers suck at drafting" perception, which in my opinion is not correct or fair.

The other part of the equation is development; especially at the NHL level. It was no secret that the former coaching staff had no appetite for the importance of bringing in & developing young talent, even as their window for the cup had started to close. I was optimistic when Quinn was hired, but I am skeptical given the handling of some of these players, and a couple of the personnel decisions I have seen this season, particularly in the bottom 6.

I don't think it's unfair to say the young guys that aren't up here are unknowns until they prove something going forward at this level. Writing them off is unfair but so is assuming they're going to be studs and for that matter anything in between.

Hopefully some of them pan out and don't go by the wayside like Lias.

I disagree. The overwhelming majority of players drafted, need seasoning in Major Junior, NCAA, Europe, and/or the AHL. So to say they are unknown until they prove something they are unknowns is looking at things a little too objectively for my taste.

Do all of the make it to the NHL? Of course not, but you didn't see Ryan Gropp or Sean Day on my list either. I would hope that we could agree that some of the players I listed will become productive NHL players in whatever role they develop into. The likely reality is that some of the players I listed very well may not pan out into NHL players, that is simply how the process works.