• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lias Andersson Leaves the Team; Requests Trade

Phil

Currently Kaapo Kakko is on pace to finish the season with 32 points.

I'm absolutely fine with that, but the expectation was that we were drafting a franchise forward.

18 year old rookies from the last few drafts.

Nico Hischier- 52 points

Auston Matthews- 69 points

Patrik Laine- 64 points

Pierre Dubois- 48 points

Matthew Tkachuk- 48 points

Brady Tkachuk- 45 points

Connor McDavid- 48 points (45 games)

Jack Eichel- 56 points

Reports were leading us to believe he was a player that could go number 1 in that draft, or many other drafts. Also factor in that his size, strength, and experience playing previously against men would translate into the NHL quickly.

I don't mind he's lost defensively and away from the puck, that's part of the development process.

My concern is that I haven't seen anything exceptional in regards to skill.

His skating is well below average in regards to explosiveness, edge work, etc.

• Like 1

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm absolutely fine with that, but the expectation was that we were drafting a franchise forward.

Nico Hischier- 52 points

Patrik Laine- 64 points

Pierre Dubois- 48 points

Brady Tkachuk- 45 points

Jack Eichel- 56 points

Reports were leading us to believe he was a player that could go number 1 in that draft, or many other drafts. Also factor in that his size, strength, and experience playing previously against men would translate into the NHL quickly.

I don't mind he's lost defensively and away from the puck, that's part of the development process.

Just goes to show nothing translates to the NHL quickly. Kaapo is looking like he's about to have the same year as Svechnikov did last year. None of these players that we draft will be ready to "dominate" the NHL for a few years. For every player you mentioned there there's a Brad Marchand or Blake Wheeler. Look at Mika Zibanejad. It wasn't until he turned 26 that he became an PPG player. Ryan Strome? Also having a break out year at 26. Kakko won't be 26 for another 8 years.

Instead of overanalyzing and critiquing every aspect of his game, just be happy he's in the organization. The point of this season is to learn the league. Learn how to play. It'll all come in time.

Nico Hischier- 52 points

Patrik Laine- 64 points

Pierre Dubois- 48 points

Brady Tkachuk- 45 points

Jack Eichel- 56 points

Not all development is linear. Yes Kaako was certainly (over)-hyped going into the draft. However, look at a player like Andrei Svechnikov; last season he finished with 37 points, and this year as a 19 year old is producing at point per game pace with Jordan Staal as his center. Aleksander Barkov would be another tangible example with production inline with where Kaako is his first 2 seasons, and who now at 24 is a PPG+ player all last season and this one so far.

When you are citing players like Pierre Dubois & the Tkachuk brothers, 32 points(if that is where he finishes) is not light years from their rookie production at 18 years old. Kaako's recent slump aside, I really don't see anything irregular with his production. I actually think that slump is much more indicative of the coaching staff's developmental skills than Kaako's production. Evaluation is only part of the equation in my opinion.

• Like 1

Technically, Tkachuks rookie seasons would be 50% greater than Kaako’s.

And neither brother was considered franchise.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

You have to do a little bit better job of explaining what your metrics for a franchise player is. Ryan Nugent Hopkins was billed as a franchise player when he was drafted; sometimes you just get a really high functioning excellent player with the #1 or #2 pick. That is just the way it works; I mean who should the Oilers have drafted in 2011 instead? You would have to go all the way to end of the 2nd round at pick #58 to find that franchise player in Kucherov to find him; the problem is that almost every team in the league passed on him twice before Tampa took him.

To ThirtyONE's point, we need to stop putting highly unrealistic expectations on players and enjoy watching them develop.

Not all development is linear. Yes Kaako was certainly (over)-hyped going into the draft. However, look at a player like Andrei Svechnikov; last season he finished with 37 points, and this year as a 19 year old is producing at point per game pace with Jordan Staal as his center. Aleksander Barkov would be another tangible example with production inline with where Kaako is his first 2 seasons, and who now at 24 is a PPG+ player all last season and this one so far.

When you are citing players like Pierre Dubois & the Tkachuk brothers, 32 points(if that is where he finishes) is not light years from their rookie production at 18 years old. Kaako's recent slump aside, I really don't see anything irregular with his production. I actually think that slump is much more indicative of the coaching staff's developmental skills than Kaako's production. Evaluation is only part of the equation in my opinion.

Good post.

Just had a thought too that it's weird Kakko's family not only didn't move with him but didn't even come see him at Christmas. Kakko had a massive uptick in play when he got some Finnish love from Ruuttu and could obviously use some fellow countryman around. I mean Brendan Smith taking him under his wing is fine, but I'm sure the guy would like a little real companionship.

The Post has been told by individuals with knowledge of the situation that there has been little interest shown in the No. 7-overall selection of the 2017 draft. The 21-year-old Andersson has recorded nine points (3-6) in 66 NHL games while posting 39 points (15-24) in 74 career AHL contests.

At the same time, the Rangers are not going to necessarily bite on the first offer even if the club has little leverage in talks.

Andersson had just three points (two goals, one assist) in his past 10 games with the Wolf Pack ? all in the same game. Play like that would not have earned him the promotion that will be coming to another Hartford forward in the wake of the fractured hand suffered by Brendan Lemieux in the Rangers? 5-3 victory over Carolina on Friday at the Garden.

It is believed Andersson spent the holiday with his family in the New York area. It is unclear whether the Rangers would welcome the Swede back if he has a change of heart, though the organization probably might have a collective-bargaining agreement issue in holding to an indefinite suspension.

At this point, though, there is no indication of movement on any front.

https://nypost.com/2019/12/28/interest-in-suspended-ranger-lias-andersson-about-what-youd-expect/

Let me just demand a trade while I'm in the middle of sucking up the AHL...

Let me toss my career away like a WJC silver medal...

Fuck this clown.

+1 and all day long.

Might be time for whoever's been advising this kid to take a long look in the mirror.

It's his dad lol

How it work for him?

ok so I really didn't know that or forgot but now it all makes more sense.

Thanks for the laugh Dunny. I bet they had a robust conversation around the dinner table over the holidays.

F' him, his dad and his lame ass signature.

Did you watch Trautwigs interview with JD? JD will not cave to any players demands, will certainly take him back, and will send him back to Hartford. Because it?s all part of the process of a young player maturing and becoming a man. That?s what I got from the interviews and the kind of person JD comes off as being. He doesn?t cave to players, media, even his own friends opinions.

So I think it?s much to do about nothing. He will be sent to Hartford when he comes back end of story.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Did you watch Trautwigs interview with JD? JD will not cave to any players demands, will certainly take him back, and will send him back to Hartford. Because it’s all part of the process of a young player maturing and becoming a man. That’s what I got from the interviews and the kind of person JD comes off as being. He doesn’t cave to players, media, even his own friends opinions.

So I think it’s much to do about nothing. He will be sent to Hartford when he comes back end of story.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I did not catch the interview

He’d take him back?

I heard a good point today on Sirius NHL and totally agree. Ghost him. If he makes requests, don’t even respond. That was their argument and I agree.c

He has no trade value whatsoever and I wouldn’t entertain anything unless it includes Middlestadt, who is another problem but at least has a bit more actual potential.

I heard a good point today on Sirius NHL and totally agree. Ghost him. If he makes requests, don’t even respond. That was their argument and I agree.c

He has no trade value whatsoever and I wouldn’t entertain anything unless it includes Middlestadt, who is another problem but at least has a bit more actual potential.

If Andersson comes in on bended knee, you have to take him back. But make him earn anything he's given. He's an asset that you cannot throw away. Not to say you should go easy on him either. He has to either grow up or forget ever playing in the NHL for anyone.

Middlestadt right now nor any time soon is not happening.

Would think given his dad's journeyman career the kid might have learned something. But so far, no. He has been given something very precious and he is pissing it away-

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/a/anderni01.html

15. Lias Andersson has gone back to Sweden. It remains to be seen if the Rangers loan him to a local team, as Edmonton’s done with Jesse Puljujarvi. (Can’t hurt to have him playing.) The Oilers have taken a tough stance with their winger, as has Dallas with Julius Honka. Like Andersson, they are young former first-rounders, and, in trade talks, are being treated as such. New York is following that path.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-nhl-trade-market-beginning-take-shape/

I?m thinking they go slightly older, a guy with a contract a team is trying to dump. Sam Bennett? Or is he on managements good side this week?

Bennett was a healthy scratch, and essentially what "bust Lias" will look like in a few seasons. Many wanted to trade Zucc for him the last few seasons.