• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lias Andersson Leaves the Team; Requests Trade

Phil

Self-inflicted wound caused by poor choices. Enjoy the time off. Now if he only had that medal he could ebay it for some cash.

Unlike this guy!

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did he get jumped/mugged? Home invasion? Get caught with drugs/alcohol? Sexual assault?

It sounds like there is some social issue that happened, in which he won't/can't comment. Just seems weird that he went AWOL, and is suspended..

Sounds like a classic case of running out of talent compounded by insurmountable lack of maturity.

Sounds like a classic case of running out of talent compounded by insurmountable lack of maturity.

I'm really not a fan of this kid. I hated the pick and how people stuck up for it, even exaggerating his talent level. I hated his attitude from the get go.. But this is weird. I hope it's a maturity thing and not something the kid is actually damaged from mentally from fear or if he himself is the one who did wrong onto someone else.

I don't buy mental health at all for one reason. He asked for a trade. If he had a mental health issue, he would have either A) talked to management about it and asked for a leave of absence to figure himself out, or B) in the event he, for whatever reason, chose not talk to management and just leave to go back home because he's suicidal depressed, the next action isn't to request a trade. That's a ridiculous line of thought, and it really becomes less about mental health and more about being a spoiled baby used to getting his way (probably).

By the way, "untenable situation for me as a person" reads to me like "I grew up rich and I'm above being in Hartford because it's out of my class".

Like Rosenvold and I said yesterday, you can't take the phrase "mental health" and equate it to the US English meaning of the word.

"Mental helse" is used for everything from a minor depression to serious mental health issues. It's a thing over here the last couple of years to be worried about the "mental health" of the younger generation. It's mostly stuff that my generation would be told in no uncertain terms to suck it up and get on with it. Things like being worried about grades in school, the older generation having to high expectations, not being popular enough, not getting the same brand jeans as your friends etc.

I'm not going to discount it, but I sincerely doubt the kid has serious mental issues. I think this is more about not fitting in, not liking it in the Rangers organization and basically giving up. I'm not going to hold it against him, but he probably isn't cut out to be a professional hockey player in the NHL.

That's not his fault, but like Pete says it doesn't exactly make the pick look any better given the intangibles were such a big part of the rationale.

Lots of assumptions there, but it's my take based on the discourse over here.

Lias Andersson breaks silence on trade request, hints at 'incidents' with NY Rangers

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2020/01/08/lias-andersson-breaks-silence-hints-incidents-ny-rangers/2844537001/

“People can say it's an idiotic decision for my hockey career,” he told Rylander, who translated the interview to English. “But they don't know the whole truth.”

In the interview with GP, Andersson indicated, “There have been many incidents that have disturbed me.”

“I’ve known him since he was a kid, but never seen him so down and taken by the moment,” Rylander told the USA TODAY Network. “He was hesitating a long time when the bullying question was asked.”

“But I'm not a spoiled (expletive) kid who complains about not being allowed to play hockey for the New York Rangers. That's not the thing. There are other factors.”

Doesnt go into a lot of detail, and he still wont discuss some things publicly. Also talks about a foot injury that doesnt sound good.

He changed his number because opposing players made fun of him on the ice. It wouldn’t surprise me if he took ribbing from teammates as bullying. He’s clearly mentally weak. That’s fine, Not everyone can deal with that shit. But it’s not a good attribute for an nhl player.

This is assuming there wasn’t an actual bullying situation in the locker room because Kravstov also has a quote about not getting the humor of the lockeroom. Mika seemed to take him under his wing id be surprised if he let someone actually bully lias.

He changed his number because opposing players made fun of him on the ice. It wouldn’t surprise me if he took ribbing from teammates as bullying. He’s clearly mentally weak. That’s fine, Not everyone can deal with that shit. But it’s not a good attribute for an nhl player.

This is assuming there wasn’t an actual bullying situation in the locker room because Kravstov also has a quote about not getting the humor of the lockeroom. Mika seemed to take him under his wing id be surprised if he let someone actually bully lias.

Pete's been telling me for years my approach, demeanor and tone wouldnt work in the NHL because shit like this would happen to kids these days.

As far as the on-ice shit, I didnt hear about the number thing. That's soft. I talk more shit playing skeeball.

“I know I'm a good enough hockey player to play over there,” Andersson told Rylander. “I think I proved that during the preseason. I thought I had clinched a spot (behind top-line center) Mika Zibanejad.”

I am not a big proponent of trying to interpret what is going on inside someone's head; ie "he wanted a participation trophy because he threw his silver medal into the crowd".

Having said that, the line above speaks volumes to me, if that is not simply just a poor translation. I seriously thought he was on the right track after a strong camp performance, but to say that he clinched the 2nd line center spot tells me that he drinks his own Kool-Aid.

I am not a big proponent of trying to interpret what is going on inside someone's head; ie "he wanted a participation trophy because he threw his silver medal into the crowd".

Having said that, the line above speaks volumes to me, if that is not simply just a poor translation. I seriously thought he was on the right track after a strong camp performance, but to say that he clinched the 2nd line center spot tells me that he drinks his own Kool-Aid.

Chytil was bad. Strome was horrendous during preseason and the first few weeks, Howden wasnt good.

Not that Andersson was incredible, but he was top 3 Cs in preseason.

this is all irrelevant at this point.

Obviously this is totally reading between the lines but I wonder if this “bullying” is a case of Lias feeling a Howden vs Lias situation. Maybe the team and ribbing is handled better by Howden and Lias is more sensitive and taking ribbing the wrong way.

Chytil was bad. Strome was horrendous during preseason and the first few weeks, Howden wasnt good.

Not that Andersson was incredible, but he was top 3 Cs in preseason.

this is all irrelevant at this point.

If someone wants to say that he was the least worst center not named Mika Zibanejad during the preseason, and therefore the #2; however it needs to be rationalized. A much more accurate way to say what you communicated would be that he earned to the privledge to start the season as the #3 center for the first couple of games. However barring a bad translation, that was not what he said in the article.

Agree that it is spilled milk at this point though.

Obviously this is totally reading between the lines but I wonder if this “bullying” is a case of Lias feeling a Howden vs Lias situation. Maybe the team and ribbing is handled better by Howden and Lias is more sensitive and taking ribbing the wrong way.

I dont think so. Both guys were on record saying they were very close when they played on the same team. Howden said something about spending all their time together, and it was hard adjusting after Andersson was sent down.