• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lias Andersson Leaves the Team; Requests Trade

Phil

Also

Ray Whitney

Sandis Ozolinsh

Ziggy Palffy

Falloon gets a bad rap in large part due to getting picked between Lindros and Niedermayer, both HOF’ers.

He was a talented kid and had 2 monster seasons leading into his draft year.

Had injuries which shaved the top 10% of his ability away and turned him into a bottom six player, which he wasn’t cut out for. Those injuries derailed and ultimately ended his career prematurely at 27.

We call that Gord Kluzak Syndrome! ;)

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

obviously. Lias is injured and in sweden

The only thing injured on Andersson is his ovaries. Dude needs to man up and play the game, instead of whining like a little pussy. It would do himself and the Rangers a ton of good!

LOL

Yeah, though if I remember correctly, the Bruins made a huge mistake drafting old Gordo because he had a major knee injury BEFORE he was drafted.

They just ignored the medical and took him anyway

Right on, 7!! You know your shit, bud!!! :thumbs:

Sprained uterus too

:rofl:

I tried finding the thread where the medal throw was discussed but couldn't locate it. Anyone with better BSBH skills than me find it? I like going back sometimes and looking at how bad we missed on our bold predictions.

And throwing a tantrum during an award ceremony, is some little brat trying to make the ceremony about him. "Did you see that medal ceremony?" "Yeah, that Canada team fought through some adversity" "No, no I'm talking about the one where that kid threw his medal into the stands, because he was upset"... "Yeah, that's the same one" Oh, Canada won that tourney? Hmmm"..

You're really going to bring it to Lias making a fan happy, because they almost got hit in the face with a silver disk... Again, taking away from an impressive Canadian win..

Did you see the video? Totally blew off IIHF chairman Gonzalez, by not shaking his hand... When the captain of the Swedish team blows off an IIHF chairman, it certainly won't help his team /former team going forward. Not to mention, he got the medal back afterwards. He and some teammates were suspended for this... It's not looked at as being competitive by the IIHF.

It's obviously a team game, but maybe the problem is him... His Sweden team also lost in the U 18 world's and the Hlinka tourney (not like I knew this already, but found in research). So to me it's not about not being ok with losing... He's tired of losing and acted like a child who hasn't gotten his way two years in a row. Did you see most of his teammates line up and be respective of the chairman? Yes. But I guess they are all shit players who just love to lose?

It just rubs me wrong. To me it's immaturity coming from someone who is supposed to be mature beyond his years according to what people think of him and his skill. Maybe he's a born loser. What's next when he loses?

Hey look. Lias is losing again...

I have too much faith in JD to believe this latest twist. I agree with Bugg here the kid is just digging a deeper hole in an effort to further destroy his NHL career. I'll continue to say he's getting horrific advice from whoever is guiding him. If it's his Dad that's even sadder. He should disappear for a few months or more, let the dust settle and see what options if any he has after that (obviously based on what the Rangers decide to do with him.)

Also Quinn is only a few months removed from an NCAA hockey program. May be there are some old school NHL coaches, who would do something like making an injured guy load up on painkillers, but it's doubtful. I would think they would be very unusual these days. Darryl Sutter and a few of these other troglodytes who are now being outed, perhaps? Even there, the Boogard thing kicks in as self protection. Andersson is hinting NYR are like something out of "North Dallas Forty". It's simply not the culture Quinn has been in for a long time to do something like that. Simply not done in NCAA sports. You're injured, the program sees you get all the help you need to get well. You may play when you're hurt, but everyone is to some degree or another hurt. Andersson is may be so clueless he may not know that. Quinn may be gruff and yeller, but he's not that.

Guys, this is why we source everything. There’s absolutely no evidence there was a problem with pain killers and until there is we should stop referencing it as though it was true.

“Rumors out there,” is NOT how to report things here. Do better.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Everything is linked. Nobody knows what has really happened here for sure, but this is a discussion board where we can take evidence and try to reach a conclusion. It's very clear that at least in Lias's mind something far more than just playing time was the issue here. The fact that the Rangers to this point have still chosen not to comment likely says a lot about what happened.

Painkillers were in fact mentioned in the article, but I'm not sure of the context since I don't read Swedish. Not saying painkillers are definitely the cause of al of this, but I'm confirming he was taking them and it was brought up in the article. Lias didn't bring them up, but the writer did. It's confirmed by Vince Mercogliano here...

basically saying it's no big deal. I wouldn't expect him to question it because that could be dangerous for the team that he makes a living covering. Same reason the beat writers don't ask things like why Staal gets to keep playing when there are better options. Don't want to ruffle feathers of the team they make a living off of. If there is a story here it will likely be broken by a national writer.

I should further state that Lias's father gave an interview in Sweden today stating that he is 100 percent proud of his son for leaving and thinks he made the right decision.

https://www.jp.se/article/lias-anderssons-pappa-han-har-inte-matt-bra/

His father was an NHL player. It becomes more and more clear every day that in the eyes of Lias and his family something very wrong was done here and Lias went on record stating it wasn't about playing time. The Rangers are still silent.

This is a direct quote from Lias in the Swedish article....

https://www.expressen.se/gt/sport/hockey/en-ohallbar-situation-for-mig-som-person/

Question: Do you regret the choices you've made?

"Absolutely not. I'm very proud of them and I think most would agree when they find out what happened."

Like come on? He is either crazy or there is something here.

More here, same link..

"I'm not a spoiled brat that complains I cannot play for the New York Rangers. That's not the thing. It's other factors."

Niklas Andersson, father of Lias again:

"I think Lias has been firm in the media with that this doesn't have anything to do with playing in AHL. Yet still people talk about that all the time, people don't get it, they have no idea."

"I'm proud and happy that Lias has made this decision, I support him for 1000% in the same way I think all parents would. He hasn't been feeling well and that's unfortunate."

Everything is linked. Nobody knows what has really happened here for sure, but this is a discussion board where we can take evidence and try to reach a conclusion. It's very clear that at least in Lias's mind something far more than just playing time was the issue here. The fact that the Rangers to this point have still chosen not to comment likely says a lot about what happened.

No ; it means they haven't commented.

Painkillers were in fact mentioned in the article, but I'm not sure of the context since I don't read Swedish. Not saying painkillers are definitely the cause of al of this, but I'm confirming he was taking them and it was brought up in the article. Lias didn't bring them up, but the writer did. It's confirmed by Vince Mercogliano here...

023401296900096?s=20 Broad definition as to what is a "pain killer". Would imagine almost every pro athlete in the world is taking ibuprofen or glucosimine or something else over the counter to deal with pain because all of them get bumps, bruises, sprains etc. every day. That DOES NOT mean any team, not the NYR , nor anyone else, is providing their players with opiates nor narcotics.

basically saying it's no big deal. I wouldn't expect him to question it because that could be dangerous for the team that he makes a living covering. Same reason the beat writers don't ask things like why Staal gets to keep playing when there are better options. Don't want to ruffle feathers of the team they make a living off of. If there is a story here it will likely be broken by a national writer.

Or may be it's prudent not to jump to conclusions when the NYR have in fact said no such thing, nor anything.

I should further state that Lias's father gave an interview in Sweden today stating that he is 100 percent proud of his son for leaving and thinks he made the right decision.

https://www.jp.se/article/lias-anderssons-pappa-han-har-inte-matt-bra/

His father was an NHL player. It becomes more and more clear every day that in the eyes of Lias and his family something very wrong was done here and Lias went on record stating it wasn't about playing time. The Rangers are still silent.

His dad was in fact charitably a failed NHL player. NYR getting into a tit for tat with the Anderssons accomplishes...what? In fact could be argued the best thing for everyone is to be quiet. Which appears to be working for Pulijari and the Oilers, and Ho Sang and the Islanders.

May just be a matter of what the Rangers team doctors diagnosed him with and what Anderssons doctors will diagnose him with. Nothing new, Byfuglien was told by the Jets team doctors that what he had didn?t require surgery and when he didn?t see any improvement he got a second opinion and ended up getting the surgery which led to the team suspending him. The Jets stayed quiet because the NHL is investigating. So like I said may just be a matter that has more to do with doctors diagnosis ( could have just been given painkillers or anti inflammatories to bring down the swelling?something along those lines) and not the team at all except that he may have been told to suck it up and play through it, or if he complained of the pain someone telling him he?s soft for ?whining about the pain?. But like was said before the foot thing could have been what was causing his lack of speed.

I?d actually be more relieved if this is the case because if it?s an injury than it has nothing to do with the team, his teammates or Quinn and more importantly nothing to do with the players? performance or his ability but a doctor dropping the ball.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Why do I think he HAS BEEN addicted to pain killers, and maybe he got busted by the team? Maybe they wanted him to stay and play while doing some kind of rehab, and he decided he needs to go home to clean up?

The Rangers are known as an amazing organization to play for, and a team that seriously takes care of it's own. I mean ESPECIALLY after the Boogard stuff, they aren't going to force anyone to play hurt. No way.

The trade request imo indeed has to do with how little of a chance Quinn gave him. Hence his non comment about being bullied... If traded I bet he flaps his gums.

Half a world away, with Andersson’s words available only through translation, the Rangers don’t seem to know what’s going on beyond the fact there was and is an extreme disconnect between the young man’s self-evaluation and management’s assessment of the center’s status and performance.

So wouldn’t it make sense for Davidson to book a flight to Sweden and spend some time with Andersson? Would the player refuse?

This shouldn’t be about appearances, or about taking a strong stance. This should be about fact-finding, with perhaps a dollop of compassion added to the mix. The Rangers have an obligation to themselves to learn as much as possible about what apparently went so wrong with Andersson, a player who was drafted in that prime position more because of his character than his talent. Plus, there is an obligation to the person, too. Something somewhere was lost in translation, and probably long before Andersson quit while demanding to be traded. Letting this play out — Andersson’s promise to divulge details “at a latter stage,” according to interpretation, seems like a campaign trick — does no good for anyone.

I know, in our evolved world, it’s all about Andersson the person. But in the real world, which is the one in which people pay top dollar to buy tickets to the games, it’s kind of also about the Blueshirts recouping something from a seventh-overall pick that’s making Manny Malhotra at seventh-overall in 1998 seem like a cross between selecting Sidney Crosby and Connor McDavid.

The Rangers are on a need-to-know basis here. So, even while understanding that Davidson has other duties, it’s strange that he’s not there … in Sweden.

https://nypost.com/2020/01/09/rangers-must-answer-for-curious-handling-of-lias-andersson-mess/

If the Rangers know they did nothing wrong, why would JD fly there to talk to him?

"This should be about fact-finding, with perhaps a dollop of compassion added to the mix. The Rangers have an obligation to themselves to learn as much as possible about what apparently went so wrong with Andersson, a player who was drafted in that prime position more because of his character than his talent. Plus, there is an obligation to the person, too. Something somewhere was lost in translation, and probably long before Andersson quit while demanding to be traded. Letting this play out — Andersson’s promise to divulge details “at a latter stage,” according to interpretation, seems like a campaign trick — does no good for anyone."

I don't know if you listen to the UpIn The Bluecoats Podcast, but in this weeks episode, Larry talked about this and was saying how Lias won't talk to anyone, and the only reason he talked to these reporters is because they saw him at a game. Other than that he isn't talking to anyone. He also was saying how Lias just didn't play well enough and the fact that he thinks he did may be contributing to his mental health issues. If he isn't going to talk to anyone, there is zero reason for Davidson t0 go over there for no reason. Check this pick off as a bust and move on.

Also, if your not listening to the podcast, its pretty good, Duguay talks about his outside the rink life while he was a Ranger, and the last story about Murdoch in Studio 54 is hysterical.

"This should be about fact-finding, with perhaps a dollop of compassion added to the mix. The Rangers have an obligation to themselves to learn as much as possible about what apparently went so wrong with Andersson, a player who was drafted in that prime position more because of his character than his talent. Plus, there is an obligation to the person, too. Something somewhere was lost in translation, and probably long before Andersson quit while demanding to be traded. Letting this play out ? Andersson?s promise to divulge details ?at a latter stage,? according to interpretation, seems like a campaign trick ? does no good for anyone."

I understand but if the Rangers are under the impression that they didn?t do anything wrong, why bother? He?s the one the walked away from the organization and requested a trade.

Because PR is a two-way street. Right now, there's a charge — however unfounded — of wrongdoing on their part that's not been clarified.

If someone accused you of doing something awful, publicly, wouldn't you want to know what the hell they were even talking about? How does pretending they never said it fix anything?