• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Not Unthinkable: Buying Out Hank

Sod16

What do these records prove? How many minutes of OT did each play? Just briefly looks at Roy's playoff game log there's like 10+ games he 'won' less than 5 minutes into OT. Did he even see a shot in those games?

Who has the best playoff OT SV%? I couldn't find that stat. However Hank is T-14th% (T-6th if you set min. at 50 games, trails only Hasek among goalies with more than 100 playoff games) all-time in playoff SV%, ahead of Roy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

There are only 10 goaltenders with more than 100 playoff games where they recorded save %

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One example of a pretty good but not HoF goalie; Mike Richter. From Spring 1994 through the World Cup of 1995(he was the MVP of the tournament) , he was excellent. Otherwise, he was pretty much okay to good. He also gave up the infamous 60 wrister vs. the Pens in the 1992 ECF that was a death knell for a good team. Never played in another playoff game after the 1997 ECF.

Don't want it to sound nasty, but Lundqvist's time has passed.He is much slower side to side, doesn't get off the ice as quick as once did, his glove was never great nor was his puck handling. He gets outplayed most nights, and the NYR play better in front of Georgiev.

It was an 80’ clapper, but who remembers ?

The question isn't who's the best goalie. The question posed was can we buy him out and the answer is no. Hank, likely the 3rd best goalie in the organization at this point, is potentially becoming a real problem.

No sane person thinks this is a Cup contender this year. But if you give Lundqvist more games than you should, that could be the difference between being a 7/8 wild card in the East and not making the playoffs at all. And while I don't think NYR would do much in the playoffs, there's much to be said for a young team to get it's feet wet in the playoffs. There's no such thing as a bad playoff berth.

No sane person thinks this is a Cup contender this year. But if you give Lundqvist more games than you should, that could be the difference between being a 7/8 wild card in the East and not making the playoffs at all. And while I don't think NYR would do much in the playoffs, there's much to be said for a young team to get it's feet wet in the playoffs. There's no such thing as a bad playoff berth.

Rangers can still make the playoffs with Hank in net. And Georgie has had some stinkers as well. But I can tell you from being at the Kings game, my first Rangers game since the LAST Kings game, Hank did not look good. He hasn't looked great on TV but for a few games, but in person I literally had a feeling in my stomach like the Kings were gonna score on every shot. I haven't had that feeling since Mike Dunham was the goalie.

I don't know what it means but the stats bear out that he's well behind Georgiev on GAA and SV%. Less wins. More losses.

I don't know what the solution is because Shesterkin is banging on the door and the Rangers need to win games.

In the 1996 Western Conference semi-finals between the Colorado Avalanche and the Chicago Blackhawks, Jeremy Roenick was stopped by Roy on a break-away during OT in game 4, while apparently being tackled by an Avalanche player. The referees did not call for a penalty shot on the play and the Avalanche won in triple overtime on Joe Sakic's game winning goal. Earlier in game 3, Roenick scored on an unchallenged breakaway to tie the score at 3 and send the game to overtime; the Blackhawks ended up winning the game.

After game 4, Roenick told the media "It should have been a penalty shot, there's no doubt about it. I like Patrick's quote that he would've stopped me. I'd just want to know where he was in Game 3, probably getting his jock out of the rafters in the United Center maybe." Roy retorted with his now-famous line,

"I can't really hear what Jeremy says, because I've got my two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ears.?

Roy and the Avalanche beat the Blackhawks in 6 games and went on to win the Cup.

https://icehockey.fandom.com/wiki/Patrick_Roy

Patrick Roy is a consensus top-5 goalie of all-time, with 4 Stanley Cup rings.

https://www.nhl.com/news/the-top-5-goalies-of-all-time/c-4709

You're driving deep into the weeds here. Roy and all the hall of famers he played with have nothing to do with the question of whether or not its Hank's fault the Rangers didn't win a cup.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The question isn't who's the best goalie. The question posed was can we buy him out and the answer is no. Hank, likely the 3rd best goalie in the organization at this point, is potentially becoming a real problem.
I don't know that it's a problem. Hot take/ballsy prediction: Shesty starts more than 41 games next year, Hank is the backup, and Georgiev is on another team. It is what it is.

I don't know that it's a problem. Hot take/ballsy prediction: Shesty starts more than 41 games next year, Hank is the backup, and Georgiev is on another team. It is what it is.

Not really a hot take, the writing is on the wall for exactly that. I think the point is, Georgie/Shesterkin is better than Shesterkin/Hank.

I agree that Lundqvist is unlikely to be bought out, and that it is a problem to give him too many games, as his play continues to decline. Quinn has shown a willingness to give Georgiev more and more starts, so I expect the same will be true when Shesterkin gets his chance. I do agree that it would be great for this group of Rangers to make the playoffs and gain that experience.

I'd be most frustrated by the goalie situation if Shesterkin returned to Russia, like Kravtsov did.

https://nypost.com/2019/11/16/its-time-for-rangers-to-call-up-igor-shesterkin/

Lundqvist has had a proud career that we can best celebrate after retirement; on the ice, we need to continue to build toward being Stanley Cup contenders - when he gets called up, we can't sacrifice Shesterkin's development by giving Lundqvist too many starts.

So whoever disagrees with your POV is a simpleton a.k.a. moron. Nice going with the name calling there.

Just because he’s the best goalie this franchise has ever had, doesnt mean we should suck his dick for all eternity. He got well compensated for his talents and got us nothing other than broken remotes and cracked TV sets. We owe him shit.

And if the mangmt decides to buy him out because some other kid may get us to the promised land, i say bye-bye Henrik, we’ll see you at the HOF inauguration

He'll be one of the top 10 goalies of all time when it's all said and done. He's a franchise legend, and by some of the better measures we have for goalies is still a top 10 goalie in the league.

This is a good problem to have in every way. In a year where teams are screaming for better goalkeeping, we're sitting on a top 10, the most sought after non-starter keeper in the market, and the best goalie prospect in the world for all intents and purposes. Run a 3 goalie system if its what's best for the team, and let this boil over as long as you can. Shesterkin either gets to own the AHL or learn to be a pro from his childhood idol (or both). Georgiev inflates his trade value or makes the case for a platoon a-la Rask/Halak.

Not at all worried here, doubly so because any reasonable move with that cap space is either foolhardy (have you seen the upcoming UFAs?) or premature.

They’re just going to ride it out with him through next season.

While he’s certainly diminished, it’s not as though he’s awful back there. By most accounts statistically, he’s still above league average, and no longer playing an every night role. Plus, regardless of how much actual “mentoring “ he might be doing, it’s still a good thing to have a veteran around when you’re playing young goaltenders.

Agreed

Looking like teams are shooting for the 55-60 games range for their starter. Backup is going to play basically once per week. That’s a 3rd of their games

Absolutely matters who your backup is. It’s an important role

Well first the backup playing 20 games is a quarter of the season. Second the difference between Hank and Georgiev over 20 select games is negligible.

Well first the backup playing 20 games is a quarter of the season. Second the difference between Hank and Georgiev over 20 select games is negligible.

At 55 games for the starter, the backup plays 27. 27 is one third of 82, actually 81.

If the starter plays 60, it still leaves 22 for backup.

The season is six months long. That’s 26 weeks. The backup playing once per week is roughly 25-27 games

Even at 20 games, that’s 40 points potentially.

Its not a negligible difference at this point. Hank is only going to go more in decline, and there’s already a sizable difference in their stats. As Georgiev plays and hopefully finds more consistency, the gulf will widen.

I don't care what other teams are doing. If Shesterkin proves to be as good as advertisted, you play him 70 games.

I think the point though is that if you have a capable backup, you neither have or want to play your starter that much.

Your starter is playing every night come playoff time. Teams want to keep their starting goalies as fresh and healthy as they can specifically for the playoffs

If Shesty is a 40 win goalie the backup can go 10-15, and they'd still be top 5 in the league.

Slow down man

While there’s no reason not to believe in Shestyorkin moving forward given his ability and numbers, let’s remember he’s played a grand total of 17 games in North America, and none in the NHL.

Let’s at least have him come up and play some before we anoint him and have him making 65-70 starts and winning 40+ games at NHL level.

Though I do share your enthusiasm that he’ll be fantastic, it’s still a little early.

And again, if you have a quality backup that legitimately gives you a good shot at winning every time he plays, why saddle your starter with that heavy if a workload

While the few starters that still play that much undoubtably do so because of their ability and production, it’s also often because of a lack of a backup that the coach truly trusts.