• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

First and a Mid-Level Prospect for Kreider?

Phil

He's 28-years-old. The word "potential" no longer applies.

Agreed! I just have a hard time digesting the idea that a guy with all his raw ability and physical attributes got such modest results. This guy should be a 40 goal scoring, beast along the boards and teams should be fearing him. He should be a guy the other teams focus on when they play the Rangers.

He's a non factor.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, he's 28. Not 22. All these things he "should" do no longer apply. Becuase he doesn't do them, which means he's not that player. We know exactly who he is.
The odds are not in his favor.

He could always be a Wheeler or Marchand type who really finds their game after 29, but that's not a risk I want to take... Especially because we've already seen his "best" with Zib and "worst" with Panarin.

Kreider to Edmonton for Puljuj?rvi and their number 1 next year. He'll score 30+ playing with McDavid.

Probably have to throw Andersson in and take back Russell to make cap work. Can also throw in a defensive prospect like Robertson.

Is he going to go to the net and play to his strengths as a power forward? Is he going to be a net front presence on the power play? He's pretty much been a 20-28 goal scorer, so even playing on a line with McDavid or Draisaitl he would still need to step up his game to go 30+

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/k/kreidch01.html

The thing that absolutely kills me with Kreider is that I see so much potential in him. He's everything you can ask for physically. He's very fast, shoots well, and has all the tools to be a 40 goal scorer. BUT he has the uncanny ability to totally disappear in big games, and not even be a factor physically in a game. Not to mention it looks like his effort level falls off like a disinterested child learning fucking Algebra.

It seems like the guy just doesn't see the ice well, or see the game itself as well as some players that are indeed 40 goal, or leading scorers for their teams.

Kreider to me is always going to be the guy that really never reached his potential here in NY. He had some good seasons, but when the chips were down in the playoffs, what did we get??? Other than his rookie year in 2013, he gave us well, not a whole lot!!!

The guy is a career 50 points/season scorer, and I just don't see any leadership in him that makes him a "keeper". He's a mush on every line they put him on and I think Pete's "anchor" reference is pretty spot on. He plays one way, and he still can't figure out who to pick up on a back check after how many seasons of playing? 8???

I think it's time...time to move forward, wish the guy the best, and hope we can find a better fit, a better piece(s) that fits the puzzle that we have now.

Game like this vs. Leafs one screams this.

For as frustrating as Kreider can be. There's not many players like him in the league. He will be sorely missed should he be traded.
You're right that there are many players who have his tools. The fact that he rarely if ever uses them all at the same time to impose his will on games, makes me believe he'll barely be missed at all.

Pick a 1st or a top prospect. You're not getting both if the Devils couldn't even secure both for Hall.

I don’t think top prospect is on the table. They rarely are for a straight rental. Too much to pay, giving up a high quality asset that is much more of a certainty than a 1st is. Especially for a player like Kreider who has long stretches of invisibility.

The 1st plus maybe a little something else is reasonable in return though.

You're right that there are many players who have his tools. The fact that he rarely if ever uses them all at the same time to impose his will on games, makes me believe he'll barely be missed at all.

This.

He simply never reached the consistency and edge he needed to be top tier in this league.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I don’t see, nor have I ever seen, 40-goal tools from him. Love the speed and the size to be sure. But to score 40, generally a player needs an elite shot or great hands around the net. I think he has a good shot and good hands around the net. I think he should be 30+ goals and 60 points. But not a 40 goal guy, IMO

I don?t see, nor have I ever seen, 40-goal tools from him. Love the speed and the size to be sure. But to score 40, generally a player needs an elite shot or great hands around the net. I think he has a good shot and good hands around the net. I think he should be 30+ goals and 60 points. But not a 40 goal guy, IMO

I was heading towards agreeing with a few others and then this ^ post happened.

Kreider has always been one of those guys who felt entitled and it made him into a lazy player. Or at least allowed him to develop lazy habits. The awesome ?speed? that allowed him to be a real standout player as a kid and upwards into college - fed his ego (IMO) and made him feel like Superman. Add-in his bigger frame and ability to stake a position in front of the net with all of the goals I?m sure he accumulated...and bingo! To me? His head just isn?t in it every night, every shift.

I was heading towards agreeing with a few others and then this ^ post happened.

Kreider has always been one of those guys who felt entitled and it made him into a lazy player. Or at least allowed him to develop lazy habits. The awesome ‘speed’ that allowed him to be a real standout player as a kid and upwards into college - fed his ego (IMO) and made him feel like Superman. Add-in his bigger frame and ability to stake a position in front of the net with all of the goals I’m sure he accumulated...and bingo! To me? His head just isn’t in it every night, every shift.

Not sure what you’re saying exactly bud?

You’re saying he hasn’t ever found his ceiling and consistency due to his work ethic?

You’re agreeing with my post?

Disagree?

Or maybe he is what he is.

That too is entirely possible and not an illogical conclusion given that he’s 28, going on 29 and 8 seasons in the league.

I just happen to think there’s more there, even if it’s just a slight amount. Jump from 28 goals and 53 points (his career highs) to 30+ and 60 points isn’t huge.

Not sure what you?re saying exactly bud?

You?re saying he hasn?t ever found his ceiling and consistency due to his work ethic?

You?re agreeing with my post?

Disagree?

I?m agreeing with you that he is skilled but not elite. My point (not we?ll made) was that I also think there might be a higher ceiling for him - that he?s not taking advantage of what he has to the fullest.

I’m agreeing with you that he is skilled but not elite. My point (not we’ll made) was that I also think there might be a higher ceiling for him - that he’s not taking advantage of what he has to the fullest.

Gotcha

Yup. That’s how I feel too

Has a good skill set, not a great one aside from his speed. And his ceiling is probably just a touch higher than he’s produced to.

He uses his speed and size to get to loose pucks and battle in front of the net, or pick pucks off the boards in the offensive zone, or create space by backing off the defender. No one on the Rangers does what he does, even if he's not utilizing all "his tools" 100% of the time. If/when he goes out, the Rangers will struggle to win games moreso than they already are.

He uses his speed and size to get to loose pucks and battle in front of the net, or pick pucks off the boards in the offensive zone, or create space by backing off the defender. No one on the Rangers does what he does, even if he's not utilizing all "his tools" 100% of the time. If/when he goes out, the Rangers will struggle to win games moreso than they already are.
I mean the last sentence is obvious. They're going to be replacing an NHL player with a non NHL player.

He's not the catalyst for any kind of offense at all this year. You're describing last year's Kreider. This year's Kreider is currently being outscored by Anthony Duclair.

I mean the last sentence is obvious. They're going to be replacing an NHL player with a non NHL player.

He's not the catalyst for any kind of offense at all this year. You're describing last year's Kreider. This year's Kreider is currently being outscored by Anthony Duclair.

Outside of Ovechkin, Matthews, Eichel, maybe one other....no one else in the league is outscoring Duclair

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

2 goals.....sell high.

I know, and then yesterday happens...

But this is my problem with Kreider...now take this with a grain of salt because the Ducks were really light on talent yesterday and also running on a back to back on the last game of a long road trip.

Kreider shows up and plays a monster game...his 4th all season! I think it finally dawned on him that he's playing for a contract and needs to really get his shit in gear. The team loves him, I get it, and he's probably a blast to hang around...you see Mika hugging him on the bench, and you can't help but feel good for the guy. BUT

This is a new age of the business where you just can't pay a guy 6 million plus for 5 more years to just wander around and have his first multi goal game in 2 years!!! Good Christ! this guy should be doing this type of shit 3 out of every 4 games!!!

Well, whatever...I wish him the best, and I hope he does light it up the rest of the way...we'll get a ton for him at the deadline because there's no way the Rangers re-sign him. A lot of us just know what he does, and you'll see...a big game like this tonight against Philly....Let's see him show up big again...I hope he does! We benefit either way.