• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

First and a Mid-Level Prospect for Kreider?

Phil

So my question is how many goals are scored because he is screening the goal tender? If he is a 25- 30 goal a year guy and you can add 5-10 a year from him screening, is that worth 6-7 mil a year? 7.5? In today's NHL, I think it is. Is it the right move for us? Probably not, we don't have the cap space and he will likely want years beyond his prime.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So my question is how many goals are scored because he is screening the goal tender? If he is a 25- 30 goal a year guy and you can add 5-10 a year from him screening, is that worth 6-7 mil a year? 7.5? In today's NHL, I think it is. Is it the right move for us? Probably not, we don't have the cap space and he will likely want years beyond his prime.

The thing I see with Kreider, Theo is that even though he's screening the goalie, his timing of getting in front of him is not very good. Yeah he's standing there, but a lot of times a shot comes from the point, Kreider is not in the right spot, and the goalie can see the shot pretty decently. Also add in the fact that he's not very good at deflections. There were guys in the past that were unreal at it; Adam Graves is the best example I can think of right now that I can compare size-wise. Graves was an absolutely superb net front presence, had pretty good speed, and had the hands of a safe-cracker.

Kreider doesn't have that. Kreider has speed, but that's a perishable skill...and if we are to pay a guy 6 mil+, I want a someone who KNOWS what to do in front, and shows up in the playoffs. 'cause this guy won't....and he hasn't.

His career playoff stats are: 77 GP 23 G 14 A 37 PTS ...and that with a 13 point playoff in 2013 in 15 games!!

So outside of that, you have a $6 million player with 24 points in 62 playoff games....

I wouldn't re-sign Kreider if he played for free.

He's not the answer to what this team is going to be. Yeah he's doing better now, because he's playing for a contract and FINALLY is playing with some fire up his ass.

...come the Playoffs?? He'll be MISSING IN ACTION...yet again.

Here: http://www.nhl.com/player/chris-kreider-8475184?stats=career-p-nhl&season=null

Optimists are teeming on this topic. Trade him for commodities that in many cases hardly pan out. Makes complete sense. Another case of " he'll be missed when gone ". People here are trade, dump, demote, cut, bench happy! H.F!

Not everyone, my good man...

You gotta watch him play live, my man. The guy just wanders out there. He's also not really very good in front of the net; yeah he's a big body, but he misses a lot of deflection opportunities. He is also not very good at timing his screening of the goalie with shots from the point. He's always too early or too late and the goalie either sees the puck or he gets pushed aside.

It's not easy in front of the net; You get cross checked, slashed, and if you stand there long enough you may have to pull a defenseman's stick out of your ass! I admire his wanting to take on this role...FINALLY.

I really would've liked to see Kreider pan out better. I had really high hopes for him, but maybe my expectations for him were too high. Some fans may be content with lackluster and half-hearted play, where a guy shows up once every 4 games, but I'm not.

Kreider's most prolific quality is his size and speed; that's about it. For one, he just started being a net-front presence, and two, his speed isn't going to get any better as he ages past 30.

I'll miss Kreider about as much as I miss Chlamydia.

Optimists are teeming on this topic. Trade him for commodities that in many cases hardly pan out. Makes complete sense. Another case of " he'll be missed when gone ". People here are trade, dump, demote, cut, bench happy! H.F!
I imagine you had these same posts for:

Callahan

Girardi

Staal

Lundqvist

Callahan was utter garbage 2 years after he signed. So was G. So was Staal. Now Lundqvist is part of a goalie logjam even though he's still a good goalie.

You realize there's a salary cap and younger players are cheaper than older players and you can't pay everyone, right?

Just trying to see if you actually understand the business side of the game and not just watching this mediocre product on your 85" TV with your boo, which you can't stop talking about but no one really cares.

I imagine you had these same posts for:

Callahan

Girardi

Staal

Lundqvist

Callahan was utter garbage 2 years after he signed. So was G. So was Staal. Now Lundqvist is part of a goalie logjam even though he's still a good goalie.

You realize there's a salary cap and younger players are cheaper than older players and you can't pay everyone, right?

Just trying to see if you actually understand the business side of the game and not just watching this mediocre product on your 85" TV with your boo, which you can't stop talking about but no one really cares.

Been following hockey for longer than you have probably been alive, so I most likely know a lot more about the game and the salary cap implications that are constantly being bandied about. I don't really give a rat's heinie if, as you put it, no one really cares. I care and I am proud as hell that my honey of 50+ years enjoys the game with me. She's been to many games @ MSG and probably knows as much, if not more, than you ever will. BTW. Our TV is not 85" so assuming so shows just how ill informed you are.

And yes. Unlike you and many others, I happened to like the players that you so eloquently described in your usual debasing comments. Were they HOFERS? Hardly that but gave it their all for the NYR. Not every player is a super star; most aren't in case you haven't noticed while watching on your 10" round Muntz TV. TaTa big guy. Enjoy the western Canadian swing, if you can. And above all; H.F!

Not everyone, my good man...

You gotta watch him play live, my man. The guy just wanders out there. He's also not really very good in front of the net; yeah he's a big body, but he misses a lot of deflection opportunities. He is also not very good at timing his screening of the goalie with shots from the point. He's always too early or too late and the goalie either sees the puck or he gets pushed aside.

It's not easy in front of the net; You get cross checked, slashed, and if you stand there long enough you may have to pull a defenseman's stick out of your ass! I admire his wanting to take on this role...FINALLY.

I really would've liked to see Kreider pan out better. I had really high hopes for him, but maybe my expectations for him were too high. Some fans may be content with lackluster and half-hearted play, where a guy shows up once every 4 games, but I'm not.

Kreider's most prolific quality is his size and speed; that's about it. For one, he just started being a net-front presence, and two, his speed isn't going to get any better as he ages past 30.

I'll miss Kreider about as much as I miss Chlamydia.

Yeah. You'll be moaning about his replacement fast enough.

Been following hockey for longer than you have probably been alive, so I most likely know a lot more about the game and the salary cap implications that are constantly being bandied about. I don't really give a rat's heinie if, as you put it, no one really cares. I care and I am proud as hell that my honey of 50+ years enjoys the game with me. She's been to many games @ MSG and probably knows as much, if not more, than you ever will. BTW. Our TV is not 85" so assuming so shows just how ill informed you are.

And yes. Unlike you and many others, I happened to like the players that you so eloquently described in your usual debasing comments. Were they HOFERS? Hardly that but gave it their all for the NYR. Not every player is a super star; most aren't in case you haven't noticed while watching on your 10" round Muntz TV. TaTa big guy. Enjoy the western Canadian swing, if you can. And above all; H.F!

Congrats on being old. The only thing you have on me is years.
  • Like 1

"moaning"??? :rofl:

Let me ask you this then: What do you wanna pay Kreider to stay here?

Yeah, moaning. I don't want to pay him anything. Not my obligation. Nobody has an inkling as to what NYR management OR KK are thinking at this time. Least of all the peeps that are quick to dump players for so-called " assets ", most of whom don't pan out as expected. I'm pretty sure they will be negotiating at some point.

:popcorn:

Yeah, moaning. I don't want to pay him anything. Not my obligation. Nobody has an inkling as to what NYR management OR KK are thinking at this time. Least of all the peeps that are quick to dump players for so-called " assets ", most of whom don't pan out as expected. I'm pretty sure they will be negotiating at some point.

Kreider didn't pan out as expected...to be quite honest.

What do you think is a fair price the Rangers should pay Kreider on his pending Free agent deal, in order to keep him in NY? I wanna see if you are just trolling, or if you actually have some insight as to how this works.

• Like 1

Kreider didn't pan out as expected...to be quite honest.

What do you think is a fair price the Rangers should pay Kreider on his pending Free agent deal, in order to keep him in NY? I wanna see if you are just trolling, or if you actually have some insight as to how this works.

I'm not sure how this is true. I have no idea why people's expectations were so high. He's been a 1st/2nd line NHL player for 8 seasons. Played an important role on a team that won President's Trophy and went to the SC Final. I think if someone told you that on draft day you'd gladly take it.

We have to stop pretending every 1st round pick is supposed to be Connor McDavid.