• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

First and a Mid-Level Prospect for Kreider?

Phil

I'm not sure how this is true. I have no idea why people's expectations were so high. He's been a 1st/2nd line NHL player for 8 seasons. Played an important role on a team that won President's Trophy and went to the SC Final. I think if someone told you that on draft day you'd gladly take it.

We have to stop pretending every 1st round pick is supposed to be Connor McDavid.

I think Kreider fell short, didnt think that was debatable.

No, he wasnt expected to be McDavid, but he always left a lot to be desired, and never took that next step that you hope to get out of any developing player.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure how this is true. I have no idea why people's expectations were so high. He's been a 1st/2nd line NHL player for 8 seasons. Played an important role on a team that won President's Trophy and went to the SC Final. I think if someone told you that on draft day you'd gladly take it.

We have to stop pretending every 1st round pick is supposed to be Connor McDavid.

Nah, you're right 3-1...not everyone is going to be a superstar. It's just that Kreider has a way of disappearing on a consistent basis. I know you know the deal though. I should say "Kreider didn't pan out the way I expected".

When I see a player that's 6' 3" 230lbs, and can skate like the wind, and has muscle to burn, I'm thinking guys like Brendan Shanahan, Cam Neely, Clark Gilles, Wendell Clark, or even a Bob Probert....again that's just me. But when someone says "power forward", I think of those type players...impact guys who don't take many games "off" and show up in the playoffs.

Nah, you're right 3-1...not everyone is going to be a superstar. It's just that Kreider has a way of disappearing on a consistent basis. I know you know the deal though. I should say "Kreider didn't pan out the way I expected".

When I see a player that's 6' 3" 230lbs, and can skate like the wind, and has muscle to burn, I'm thinking guys like Brendan Shanahan, Cam Neely, Clark Gilles, Wendell Clark, or even a Bob Probert....again that's just me. But when someone says "power forward", I think of those type players...impact guys who don't take many games "off" and show up in the playoffs.

That's the problem. You saw his weight and thought: "Hall of Famer combined with one of the meanest heavyweight fighters of all time."

That's the problem. You saw his weight and thought: "Hall of Famer combined with one of the meanest heavyweight fighters of all time."

Guilty as charged!

The Rangers billed him as a "power forward" and that's what I thought from day one.

Kreider might be falling short. But if so, not by too much.

A top-6 winger at 19th overall is about what we?d expect

Kreider currently is a top 6 forward. So not sure why any team would give up that along with a 1st for him.

All depends on age and development of forward coming back.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

What was he supposed to be? I'm seriously asking.

Honestly? I always thought he'd be a lite version of what MacKinnon is now. MacKinnon didn't reach anywhere close to his current level until his 5th season. With Kreider's speed and size, I was expecting him to develop into a 35-40 goals/70-80 points annually in his prime. I actually think it's still achievable, but I don't think a team like the Rangers should bet the farm that it happens. If they do, and it happens, then awesome. I like Kreider and that would be my ideal outcome. Playing probabilities though, I don't see it happening at this point.

I think its fair to say he fell short. He's been pretty much the same player his whole career. You'd have liked to see him find some growth and consistency in his game that brings him from a 20-20 guy to a 30-30 guy. He fell short of that.

That said falling short doesn't mean he's bad. Just could have been better with a little growth. With 24 goals and 40 points through 52 games we all thought last year was the year he'd take that step. Unfortunately instead of keeping that pace for the last 27 games and hitting 35 goals, he only scored 4 times in those final 27 games.

Kreider currently is a top 6 forward. So not sure why any team would give up that along with a 1st for him.

I’m not sure what you’re referring to exactly

But I think a 1st for him with maybe something else on the smaller side is fair for him

Kreider might be falling short. But if so, not by too much.

A top-6 winger at 19th overall is about what we’d expect

He is saying that Kreider was drafted at 19 OA and turned into a top 6 wing, which is what would expect in that spot, not what he wants in return in a trade...

One more brilliant post from the Pres. of Mensa.

God willing, you'll live long enough to actually appreciate the players that are in the big apple.

I appreciate them while they're here and sometimes they need to move on.

Of course, in your infinite NHL wisdom, you realize that with a max on contracts and roster spots you can't keep everyone. So please post your lineups and projected salaries and contract lengths that make sense for you to keep Kreider.

Holy, fuck, a post with actual thought about put into it would be nice. Show us you're a CBA-sayer!

Of course, in your infinite NHL wisdom, you realize that with a max on contracts and roster spots you can't keep everyone. So please post your lineups and projected salaries and contract lengths that make sense for you to keep Kreider.

Holy, fuck, a post with actual thought about put into it would be nice. Show us you're a CBA-sayer!

:rofl:

Yeah, moaning. I don't want to pay him anything. Not my obligation. Nobody has an inkling as to what NYR management OR KK are thinking at this time. Least of all the peeps that are quick to dump players for so-called " assets ", most of whom don't pan out as expected. I'm pretty sure they will be negotiating at some point.

I guess you don't wanna answer my question. ;)

He is saying that Kreider was drafted at 19 OA and turned into a top 6 wing, which is what would expect in that spot, not what he wants in return in a trade...

That makes complete sense then.

I didn?t see a team giving up a comparable player plus a 1st for someone who?s a UFA

I'm a NHL fan!! Get it? And as usual, you have to add that intelligent comment to your post.

" I don't want to pay him anything. Not my obligation. "

Can you read or don't you even bother?

I'm a NHL fan!! Get it? And as usual, you have to add that intelligent comment to your post.
So you don't have any idea what a reasonable contract for Kreider is, that he'd accept to stay, and that we can fit under the cap now and would want in the future.

Got it.

14. Lots and lots of interest in Chris Kreider, no decision yet from the Rangers. “Lots of time,” one source said. Again, look at their history. Marc Staal’s last contract was signed on Jan. 18, 2015. In 2014, they signed Dan Girardi on Feb. 28. They took Kevin Hayes and Mats Zuccarello down to the wire last year. There’s a lot of interest — believed to include contenders who might be happy to wait for cap reasons (Boston, St. Louis) and others who aren’t worried about that (Colorado). There’s plenty of speculation about Montreal, as the Canadiens could use some beef, but Kreider’s partial no-trade affects that.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-nhl-trade-market-beginning-take-shape/

So you don't have any idea what a reasonable contract for Kreider is, that he'd accept to stay, and that we can fit under the cap now and would want in the future.

Got it.

:palm:

There's no "White Flag" emoji, Pete!!! ...so I'll just go with the "Face-palm" and give up! LOL

Happy New Year, man!!

" I don't want to pay him anything. Not my obligation. "

Can you read or don't you even bother?

I saw today on TSN that you are indeed responsible for Kreider's contract with the Rangers going forward.

So what's the deal looking like?