• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

First and a Mid-Level Prospect for Kreider?

Phil

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the reason people might feel Kreider fell short of expectations is that, when he's at it, he looks like a force.

Like Oz said, he's big, strong, skates like the wind and has an eye for goal. He goes through stretches where he looks fantastic, then he looks ordinary for stretches.

And that's the thing with him. He's a pretty good top 6 forward in the NHL. What separates the pretty good players from the very good players is the ability to play close to the top of your ability week in, week out.

It's frustrating because you feel like there could be so much more there, but there simply isn't. This is what he is.

It's not really that complicated for me. Signing him to a long term deal on big money would be crazy. If you can get him on a shorter, team friendly deal it's pretty much a no brainer to keep him - cap constraints notwithstanding.

When considering Kreider's pricetag, you have to consider the market. The demand for rental forwards is unquestionable - especially since Kreider is a well-rounded forward. Physical, can score, does PK etc. And then there's the supply of good UFA forwards for the rental market, which could be extremely narrow considering which teams are likely to be selling:

Chris Kreider

Tyler Toffoli

Michael Frolik

Wayne Simmonds

Vlad Namestnikov

Conor Sheary

(potentially some guys from Nashville, Florida or Edmonton if they are sellers)

Out of that bunch, Kreider looks like the top target in my opinion, which should drive up his price tag, especially since Hall is already gone from the market.

The Colorado Avalanche want to add a top-six forward to their roster and appear to have significant interest in Chris Kreider of the New York Rangers.

Kreider, 28, is in the final year of his contract and can become an unrestricted free agent July 1 if he goes unsigned.

The Rangers and Kreider’s agent Matt Keator are expected to chat again this month about a possible contract extension, but if a deal can’t be reached, the team is more than likely going to move Kreider by the Feb. 24 trade deadline.

Avalanche GM Joe Sakic has significant salary cap space to add a top-six forward to his team and can easily add Kreider’s $4.625 million full season cap hit.

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/jan-2020/avalanche-eyeing-kreider

--

It's TFP, so take it with a grain of salt.

Give me some names of who this guy is other than the Tkachuk boys.

I like guys like Kirby Dach, and Vitaly Podkolzin at first glance. I think Dach is a center though, but it's the type of player I'd like to see. The Tkachuk boys are kinda what I'm aiming at, and I'd like that type of player to go along with a guy like Kakko or Chytil. A digger that can make plays and finish, as well as play responsibly in the defensive zone is not easy to find. Hell, I suppose that'd work for any line we have!

But I unfortunately don't know them all, and at what level other team prospects are at, Kev.

I suppose the Tkachuk "type" is what I'm referencing.

I like guys like Kirby Dach, and Vitaly Podkolzin at first glance. I think Dach is a center though, but it's the type of player I'd like to see. The Tkachuk boys are kinda what I'm aiming at, and I'd like that type of player to go along with a guy like Kakko or Chytil. A digger that can make plays and finish, as well as play responsibly in the defensive zone is not easy to find. Hell, I suppose that'd work for any line we have!

But I unfortunately don't know them all, and at what level other team prospects are at, Kev.

I suppose the Tkachuk "type" is what I'm referencing.

Yep...my point is, they're hard to find unless you draft them high at which point most teams aren't going to be big on letting them go.

Podkolzin was a guy I wanted to draft this past year, if we lost the lottery. His season hasn't been very impressive to date and I thought he would light it up in the World Juniors which he has not.

What you want: Tkachuk.

What you'll get: Bowers.

Most Likely, Phil....

Bowers is noted as a pretty good 2 way player. He's 20, and also 6' 2' or so, and about 185 lbs....not too shabby.

I'd like it if they sweetened the pot, and tossed us a high pick with him.

Yep...my point is, they're hard to find unless you draft them high at which point most teams aren't going to be big on letting them go.

oh definitely, Kev.... but for teams that are going to "go for it now", at least we can ask and see. You never know....or at least a guy could dream! :rofl:

Most Likely, Phil....

Bowers is noted as a pretty good 2 way player. He's 20, and also 6' 2' or so, and about 185 lbs....not too shabby.

I'd like it if they sweetened the pot, and tossed us a high pick with him.

1st, Bowers. Like I said above. That's probably a realistic return.

1st, Bowers. Like I said above. That's probably a realistic return.

The Rock says, "BRING IT!". Yeah I'm cool with that Phil. I think Bowers would fit well here, and play a solid game for us....consistently! ;)

Here's some Bowers stuff:

Depends on what their divison rivals are offering...

Not only would Colorado be adding CK, but they'd also be keeping him away from St. Louis and Dallas.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Well, I sincerely doubt anyone is going to offer a package that would force Colorado into that sort of over payment.

I mean, that's a better return than what Ottawa got for Stone on a trade and sign.