• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Behind the Rangers? Complicated Trade Deadline Dilemma

Phil

I'm good with a 2 yr deal honestly. Not sure Strome sells a year of UFA to do that though. It would be excellent for the Rangers because they would know a lot more about their young players after another 2 seasons. They would also know a lot more about Strome. Certainly don't want to pay 5+M long term for a 35-40 point player if he regresses back to his previous career averages.

Can eat a 2nd season of 5m if he sucks without Panarin. The following season is Zibanejad, Kakko, Kravtsov, Fox

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The more this season unfolds, the more curious I am to see exactly what JD and Gorton are thinking and where they're going with this whole thing. I agree with Pete's post when it comes to Kreider being the "no-brainer" and Strome requiring a little more thought. But I hadn't really thought about moving Skjei; although I wouldn't be against it....especially if we got a ready type player in return.

I do consider the team still in rebuild mode for about another year, but not everything has to be draft picks.

The kids on the way up have some good potential and there's simply not enough room at the Inn for all of them....not just yet. Let's just say I'm glad I didn't inherit this mess!!! :rofl:

I know I'm gonna second guess everything they do, but I have a really good feeling about where we're headed with this team....I have no idea why, but I just trust JD!

The more this season unfolds, the more curious I am to see exactly what JD and Gorton are thinking and where they're going with this whole thing. I agree with Pete's post when it comes to Kreider being the "no-brainer" and Strome requiring a little more thought. But I hadn't really thought about moving Skjei; although I wouldn't be against it....especially if we got a ready type player in return.

I do consider the team still in rebuild mode for about another year, but not everything has to be draft picks.

The kids on the way up have some good potential and there's simply not enough room at the Inn for all of them....not just yet. Let's just say I'm glad I didn't inherit this mess!!! :rofl:

I know I'm gonna second guess everything they do, but I have a really good feeling about where we're headed with this team...I have no idea why, but I just trust JD. !

Past success may be part of it and the other is just being a homer.... but I definitely trust his experience.

With Panarins success, there is no way they waste a year of this deal in his prime. They are definitely at least looking for playoffs next year and I think the TDL will show the desire to step forward now and not move towards futures. We have well stocked shelves and show promise with Panarin, Chytil and Deangelos development. CK20 may be a casualty of a bigger deal, but this team needs to solidify this defense.

Solidify defense should be a tattoo on every person in NYR scouting system. We need THAT straightened out to be able to go anywhere near a playoff run. No D? No Cup.

Theyve done a great job scouting and drafting defensemen in the last few years. We need to wait for those guys to get older.

Theyve done a great job scouting and drafting defensemen in the last few years. We need to wait for those guys to get older.

That's great in theory for longevity of a powerhouse but we cannot waste these prime years of Panarin. This was the debacle with signing him last off season. Are we playing total rebuild or are we pressing fast forward. Well it was clear with signing Trouba and Panarin that we pressed fast forward. Sooo....this must be addressed this year or next to start getting these kids some playoff experience .

Past success may be part of it and the other is just being a homer.... but I definitely trust his experience.

With Panarins success, there is no way they waste a year of this deal in his prime. They are definitely at least looking for playoffs next year and I think the TDL will show the desire to step forward now and not move towards futures. We have well stocked shelves and show promise with Panarin, Chytil and Deangelos development. CK20 may be a casualty of a bigger deal, but this team needs to solidify this defense.

Gorton helped build that current Bruins team and they look to be in pretty good shape for a while over there. JD has a lot of experience as well and seems to have a knack for landing the big targets (Panarin, Trouba, etc.) I just believe in those two and it's really hard to be patient, but we'll get there!

They've done a great job scouting and drafting defensemen in the last few years. We need to wait for those guys to get older.
I think you hit this dead on the nose, Josh. Guys like ADA and possibly Skjei may fall victim to being the odd men out if Miller, Hajek, and Robertson develop faster than expected.

By the way, I absolutely love Lindgren! :thumbs:

He reminds me of a little of Konstantinov.

That's great in theory for longevity of a powerhouse but we cannot waste these prime years of Panarin. This was the debacle with signing him last off season. Are we playing total rebuild or are we pressing fast forward. Well it was clear with signing Trouba and Panarin that we pressed fast forward. Sooo....this must be addressed this year or next to start getting these kids some playoff experience .

JD said they wanted to be the team of the 20s. You cant start trading away young talent because Panarin is keeping you away from being a lottery team the second year of a rebuild.

JD said they wanted to be the team of the 20s. You cant start trading away young talent because Panarin is keeping you away from being a lottery team the second year of a rebuild.

No one is proposing selling young talent. What was proposed is selling CK20 and possibly some other pieces to shore up the defensive holes to allow this team to develop and be competitive as opposed to waiting 3-5 years for prospects to possibly develop into useable pieces. Also opposed to just acquiring picks wasting prime years of the best offensive talent we have seen since Jagr.

No one is proposing selling young talent. What was proposed is selling CK20 and possibly some other pieces to shore up the defensive holes to allow this team to develop and be competitive as opposed to waiting 3-5 years for prospects to possibly develop into useable pieces. Also opposed to just acquiring picks wasting prime years of the best offensive talent we have seen since Jagr.
Aren't we in cap trouble , how are the rangers going to afford player s who are nhl ready,plus If you trade these young prospects aren't we going to miss out on their cheap contracts

These prospects are key in continuing the winning culture and hopefully Cup Dynasty they are trying to build. What I am suggesting is paying DeAngelo and Strome and sell Kreider, Fast and possibly Georgiev depending on an NHL showing of Shesty. Will DeAngelo take 4? Will Strome take 4? If only we could be flys on the wall during negotiations.

Sell the aforementioned pieces for some glaring holes in this team specifically a solution to the ridiculous number of shots they give up every game.

Skjei, Staal, and Smith. Those 3 have to come off the books next summer to keep this team in the right direction. Obviously a tad bit of $ retention in at least one buyout but hopefully the cap goes up too.

They obviously wouldn't buyout Skjei. Only option there is to trade. They'd have to pay to get someone to take Smith's cap, probably a 2nd or 3rd rounder and that's not worth it. He also has a 10 team no trade, which would probably cover all of the bottom of the barrel teams that would actually take his cap hit for a pick. Staal has an NMC. I doubt he'd waive.

As for buyouts:

Smith (https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/brendan-smith#results): They only save like 500k extra by buying him out rather than burying in Hartford, and then they'd have a dead cap hit of 800k the next year, so he won't get bought out. Buying out or burying plus replacement cost doesn't save you anything. We are stuck with this one.

Staal (https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/marc-staal#results): He will save you $2M but cost $1M against the cap the following year. Of course, that $2M will quickly be filled by a replacement player, so you won't save much of anything.

Neither of those buyouts are worth it and they don't relieve enough cap space for next year to create dead cap space the following year. They are stuck with the cap hits for one more season.

They obviously wouldn't buyout Skjei. Only option there is to trade. They'd have to pay to get someone to take Smith's cap, probably a 2nd or 3rd rounder and that's not worth it. He also has a 10 team no trade, which would probably cover all of the bottom of the barrel teams that would actually take his cap hit for a pick. Staal has an NMC. I doubt he'd waive.

As for buyouts:

Smith (https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/brendan-smith#results): They only save like 500k extra by buying him out rather than burying in Hartford, and then they'd have a dead cap hit of 800k the next year, so he won't get bought out. Buying out or burying plus replacement cost doesn't save you anything. We are stuck with this one.

Staal (https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/marc-staal#results): He will save you $2M but cost $1M against the cap the following year. Of course, that $2M will quickly be filled by a replacement player, so you won't save much of anything.

Neither of those buyouts are worth it and they don't relieve enough cap space for next year to create dead cap space the following year. They are stuck with the cap hits for one more season.

Yeah I never said they should buy out all of them and I’ve said elsewhere they should trade Skjei for sure. I’ve seen the puckpedia site. Smith gets buried and Staal probably gets bought out in my opinion. 2m is the difference in retaining one of our other ufa or rfa or letting him walk over around 1-2m. The extra 1m for 21/22 is fine for me since Henrik and his massive contract goes bye bye. Barter, buyout, bury.

The cap impact of putting Smith in the AHL is about the same as buying him out, although the latter has the advantage of pushing the bulk of the cap hit past the Lundquist contract. Staal has got to be a buy out, although there is an outside chance of someone taking him with 50% retention if he will consent (there have been conflicting reports for years whether he has a full NMC clause at this point or a partial). Anyway, trading him with full retention may not be particularly advantageous if his roster spot is taken by someone making close to half his salary who is no more effective. Skjei's play has been improved, although not overwhelmingly. We can wait and see how he pans out over the second half, but he is tradeable.

Lindgren, BTW, is a keeper. Did you see the way he didn't back down from that hulk Lucic? He's a really nice compliment to Fox, as they both develop. I can see them together for years. Come expansion draft, Fox and Trouba will be two protected defensemen, and the third is up in the air, but it might just turn out to by Lindgren.

Lindgren once punched in the face made no effort to retaliate. Like Mike Tyson said everybody has a plan until they got punched in the face.

The cap impact of putting Smith in the AHL is about the same as buying him out, although the latter has the advantage of pushing the bulk of the cap hit past the Lundquist contract. Staal has got to be a buy out, although there is an outside chance of someone taking him with 50% retention if he will consent (there have been conflicting reports for years whether he has a full NMC clause at this point or a partial). Anyway, trading him with full retention may not be particularly advantageous if his roster spot is taken by someone making close to half his salary who is no more effective. Skjei's play has been improved, although not overwhelmingly. We can wait and see how he pans out over the second half, but he is tradeable.

Lindgren, BTW, is a keeper. Did you see the way he didn't back down from that hulk Lucic? He's a really nice compliment to Fox, as they both develop. I can see them together for years. Come expansion draft, Fox and Trouba will be two protected defensemen, and the third is up in the air, but it might just turn out to by Lindgren.