• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Pete

1. I know there’s a craving for Jack Eichel information. One longtime executive said this week “this is the most complicated situation I’ve seen” during his professional existence. (He’s not involved, but, obviously, everyone’s talking about it.) This is what I’m expecting over the next few days: Eichel comes to camp, but does not pass his physical and is not cleared to play. I also think there’s a very good chance Buffalo removes his captaincy. What I don’t know is if they’ve settled the medical path.

I heard there were some trade talks a couple of weeks ago, but I think people want to see what the doctors say. As you can expect, there is a ton of frustration. Eichel was hoping to be recovered from disc surgery by now, and, another player said not to underestimate what playing in the Olympics would mean to him. But the Sabres are unhappy too, with the promise of the “Eichel era” completely dissipated and hard feelings about how things fell apart. Really a shame for everyone involved.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/32-thoughts-state-rfa-market-training-camps-open/

18 minutes ago, Phil said:

The Sabres should be unhappy because they're completely incompetent and do everything in their power to consistently make the wrong decisions in the front office and on the ice. They're the worst run sports franchise of this era (now that the Wilpons are out) and I can't believe the NHL hasn't stepped in already. 

They should let Eichel get the surgery because reality is he's already lost to them. If his career ends, what's the difference to them? They've already pushed his trade value through the floor so it's not like they're getting a huge return. 

They have an uncanny ability to constantly make poor decisions and then continue to employ the people making the poor decisions.

• Applause 5

1 hour ago, Pete said:

The Sabres should be unhappy because they're completely incompetent and do everything in their power to consistently make the wrong decisions in the front office and on the ice. They're the worst run sports franchise of this era (now that the Wilpons are out) and I can't believe the NHL hasn't stepped in already. 

They should let Eichel get the surgery because reality is he's already lost to them. If his career ends, what's the difference to them? They've already pushed his trade value through the floor so it's not like they're getting a huge return. 

They have an uncanny ability to constantly make poor decisions and then continue to employ the people making the poor decisions.

I still cannot believe how dumbfuckingly mismanaged this team is. It's a goddamn masterclass in asset mismanagement.

I'm with you here - at this point, Eichel should just move to void the deal if he has this much confidence in the surgery. Force the Sabres hand, miss three months of the season, sign with whomever you want at whatever rate you want. 

When they asked an unexperienced GM to take over this situation you basically could have guessed it would go poorly. But I think at this point, it's surpassed everyone's expectations. I'm probably only following it closely because the Rangers are/were linked but I don't think my shock of how badly this was done is based on any bias:

The Buffalo Sabres are a joke.

I really don't know what there's left to say. He's gonna show up and fail his physical. And then what? Is he just gonna sit around and not play for the rest of the season? The rest of his career? Isn't that worse than trading him less than ideal value? Isn't that worse than allowing him to get surgery? What the fuck is the plan here? 

They're literally ruining this guys career and it seems like it's out of spite at this point.

13 minutes ago, ThirtyONE said:

When they asked an unexperienced GM to take over this situation you basically could have guessed it would go poorly. But I think at this point, it's surpassed everyone's expectations. I'm probably only following it closely because the Rangers are/were linked but I don't think my shock of how badly this was done is based on any bias:

I really don't know what there's left to say. He's gonna show up and fail his physical. And then what? Is he just gonna sit around and not play for the rest of the season? The rest of his career? Isn't that worse than trading him less than ideal value? Isn't that worse than allowing him to get surgery? What the fuck is the plan here? 

They're literally ruining this guys career and it seems like it's out of spite at this point.

I think they're just waiting for someone to pay to take him off their hands. Which isn't happening - everyone and their mother knows now that Jack Eichel will never play another game for the Sabres. The cap is flat and barely rising. He's got a contract for 1/8 of the total cap. He needs a surgery on his neck to get back to health, let alone the rehab to get back to peak. His value has never been lower and the Sabres are playing as if they're trading a franchise caliber center with zero risk.

It's pathetic mismanagement.

39 minutes ago, Phil said:

I believe voiding the deal has to be mutually agreed upon. Do you guys envision the Sabres agreeing to that? I don't.

They can't physically stop him from going to get the surgery. What would they do if he got it?

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

They can't physically stop him from going to get the surgery. What would they do if he got it?

Not sure. We're already in unprecedented waters. That would make matters even worse. I guess they could void it? I'm really not sure. It's a great question for someone like Friedman, honestly. I'm really curious what would happen if that happened.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, ThirtyONE said:

i dont blame the sabres.  time is on their side, they can wait out until a team pays close to what they're asking. 

3 minutes ago, CCCP said:

i dont blame the sabres.  time is on their side, they can wait out until a team pays close to what they're asking. 

If I was a GM, Simon....I wouldn't want any part of this situation right now.  Even if I was interested in getting Eichel, or could even afford him, I think it'd be WAY too big a risk in assets and Salary Cap.

He's going to miss at least a month of the season or possibly more, AND I think Buffalo is dreaming if they're going to get that big a haul for Eichel as "damaged goods".

10 minutes ago, CCCP said:

do we really know what they're asking and what the interested parties offering?

I'm sure it's a metric ass load or he would've been dealt by now.  Specifically though, I have no idea.  But earlier in this thread there were lots of names and 1st round draft picks thrown in the hat. 

Honestly man, I'm more of a fan of staying on track with what we have, and not risking it all on Eichel.  The guy's a fabulous player when healthy, but there's just too many question marks health-wise for me, and I couldn't give up a Kakko, or Yukon for him...let alone more 1st rounders.  I hope he lands somewhere like Minnesota or LA.  But most of all, I'd like to see him have the surgery HE wants, and get back healthy on the ice again.

Edited by Ozzy