• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

New York Mets Thread

Patrick Bateman

After giving it some thought, if I’m the Mets, I try and swing this wild one: Baez AND Bryant.

It seems a lot of rumors are circulating that the Mets and Cubs are talking a lot about one or the other, paired with Davies. And I’d be fine with that. But the more I think of it, why not try and make one huge push here?

Ideally, Baez plays short until Lindor returns. And when he does, Baez has already said he’d have no issues sliding to 2nd, which means McNeil goes to 3rd. So we’re fine in the infield. And then Bryant, who can play almost anywhere, can become your starting LF’er. How? I’d include Dom Smith in a deal to get both of these guys. Smith is a man without a position; even next year if the DH comes to the NL, I think Alonso wants to play the field. So the logic of playing Smith there and having Alonso DH to me is a farce. Especially when you consider Alonso isn’t a bad defensive player himself. You can deal with bad defense in the OF if you have someone who can rake. But, Smith hasn’t had a great year, plain and simple. And his defense, while improved there, is still not up to par. He’s a good player, just a man without a position here IMO.

So if I’m the Mets, I definitely investigate what it takes to grab both those guys. The Yankees got Rizzo for next to nothing. If the Mets can make a deal where some of their big prospects are on the table (not Alvarez, Allan or Baty), why not? Make a huge push and go for it. They need help in the lineup. Adding both Bryant and Baez would make the lineup super deep. And when deGrom comes back, the rotation will be taking off again. Davies would be another useful arm to avoid hacks like Eickhoff.

I mean, a guy can dream. But I don’t know why they don’t just go for it. If you can grab both of them, and Syndergaard comes back in September, the Mets offense (Atleast on paper) would be able to score runs with almost anyone. We finally have the money. Let’s have the balls. Bring them both in and push your chips to the middle of the table!

I think the Mets will probably at least get one of them, but both are feasible and probably should happen. Cohen is all in on this franchise, so he can totally make it work. I don't see them losing the division anyway unless they just have a huge collapse here. You get one or both of those guys, then I definitely don't think you have anything to worry about there.

Agreed. One more bat and a reliable arm makes me feel very comfortable about the division. And once they’re in, no one wants to see deGrom 2 or 3 times in a series. They’re dangerous; even with the Dodgers.

But if you can get both, why not? I take Baez and Bryant all day over Smith and prospects. Cohen isn’t afraid of the luxury tax. If both came in and performed, you re-sign them.

Imagine this lineup for a second:

Nimmo-Lindor-Baez-Alonso-Bryant-McNeil-McCann-deGrom

Like I said, I’d be thrilled with one. But if you add them both? That is going all fucking in, which they should. Do this now while deGrom is at his peak.

Yep I’d be for that too.

Listen, the West is a powerhouse. But if we wanna get where we wanna get, we likely have to go through one of them at some point. And let’s not forget that in 2 weeks, we have I believe 13 straight games vs. the Dodgers and Giants. That can be a killer. I’d rather go into those wars as strong as could be.

Again, you have the best pitcher in the world. These little naggy injuries (thankfully! And knock on wood!) don’t seem that bad. But before this guy inevitably either slows down because of age or injury, I say just go full steam and let’s make a solid run at this thing.

It might be time for Sandy to step away. He just isn’t aggressive enough. Money used to be the reasoning for being so cautious with movement. Now that is the least of our worries.

This team has showed enough thus far through all these injuries. The front office should honor that by going and putting the finishing touches on the roster to put them over the top. Instead, he’s nickel and diming with prospects?

The ownership is finally willing to spend whatever it takes. We need someone more aggressive than Alderson running the show. We need someone that realizes we have a window here with deGrom. We’re not wasting it because we’re competitive. But why not load up and take a shot?