• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021 Offseason Thread: Fuck Around & Find Out!

Phil

I think the Rangers should get creative here. I mentioned the potential of a 3-way trade (with Seattle) in the other thread as a means to facilitate a deal. I'm not totally on board anymore with getting Eichel, but I'm also not stoked about any of the names I'm hearing to be quite honest, except for one. Matthew Tkachuk. He's literally the perfect player for this team, but I'm not sure we have the right player that would entice the Flames. An educated guess would say they want a young top line center. Would they want Eichel? Hmmm. Why not a 3 way deal to make that happen?

I would kill to get Tkachuk and Lucic @ 50%. That adds toughness and meanness to your top 6 and bottom 6 in one fell swoop.

It's interesting reading "trade Trouba" stuff after how obvious it is we need him. He's not an 8M player, but he's not easily replaceable either. It's a weird situation where I'm not sure there would be a buyer for him given the contract, but I'm not sure the Rangers should be trading him either. Not yet, anyway.

This 100%.

And as far as it goes with that contract and him being overpaid, consider this.

His last year in Winnipeg, he made $5.5 and had a career year.

Off of those two facts alone, even on a 1 year deal through arb status, he’d have undoubtedly gone up to the $6.5 range.

Had he gone elsewhere and signed long-term, he’d have gone over $7 million.

Throw in his age at time of signing and the fact that he signed to play in NY where you have to pay more, how much is he really overpaid by, in all honesty.

I think the Rangers should get creative here. I mentioned the potential of a 3-way trade (with Seattle) in the other thread as a means to facilitate a deal. I'm not totally on board anymore with getting Eichel, but I'm also not stoked about any of the names I'm hearing to be quite honest, except for one. Matthew Tkachuk. He's literally the perfect player for this team, but I'm not sure we have the right player that would entice the Flames. An educated guess would say they want a young top line center. Would they want Eichel? Hmmm. Why not a 3 way deal to make that happen?

I would kill to get Tkachuk and Lucic @ 50%. That adds toughness and meanness to your top 6 and bottom 6 in one fell swoop.

That’s an interesting suggestion.

But I think they honestly are just going to go out and get Eichel.

Not sure how I feel about all of that.

Eichel is obviously very skilled and would be good here, for sure. But, whether it's this most recent interview or just in general, something about him rubs me the wrong way. I know he's been frustrated in Buffalo, and I get that, but I worry he could be a headcase if things don't always go his way.

The Rangers have needs and youth was going to get dealt no matter if Gorton was still the GM or not, I just worry they may overpay to appease ownership, and I don't just mean for Eichel either.

This 100%.

Off of those two facts alone, even on a 1 year deal through arb status, he’d have undoubtedly gone up to the $6.5 range.

Throw in his age at time of signing and the fact that he signed to play in NY where you have to pay more, how much is he really overpaid by, in all honesty.

If he was still the player from that career year then that would be fine. However he's an absolute shell of that. Not even close to it.

To Rangers: Matthew Tkachuk, Milan Lucic @ 50%,

To Flames: Jack Eichel, Julien Gauthier

To Sabres: Pavel Buchnevich, Zac Jones, Jakob Pelletier, Cal 1st (#11), NYR 2nd ('22)

Rangers in: Matthew Tkachuck, Milan Lucic @ 50%,

Rangers out: Pavel Buchnevich, Zac Jones, Julien Gauthier, '22 2nd

Make the call Gorts! I mean Drury.

This 100%.

Hmmmm....Not really sure I buy this part of it. Panarin took less than other teams offered.

Trouba forced a trade here and then Gorton gave him top dollar...Would have thought if you knew a player wanted to be here, you could get them at a discount.

Hmmmm....Not really sure I buy this part of it. Panarin took less than other teams offered.

Trouba forced a trade here and then Gorton gave him top dollar...Would have thought if you knew a player wanted to be here, you could get them at a discount.

Didn't even have to be a discount. Even just market rate at like 7M would have been a lot more tolerable.

https://theathletic.com/2581193/2021/05/12/new-york-rangers-depth-chart-heading-into-the-offseason-trade-chips-roster-holes-kraken-bait-and-more/

Carp's take on roster gaps. Most interesting note by far - he sees the depth chart gap at center as "someone between Strome and Chytil"

I do think the left flank has enough options — including Chytil, too — that the Rangers don’t necessarily need to add here.

I imagine Will Cuylle will start in Hartford, but depending on who the coach is in training camp, he will have a chance to earn a spot. He’s a power winger with all of the traits the Rangers need and also enough skill to contribute offense. I’m sure the organization would be thrilled if he elbowed his way onto the roster.

While I think Pavel Buchnevich has established himself as a legit top-six winger, I don’t think he’s seen as untouchable by any stretch because of the arrivals of Kakko and Kravtsov.

I also firmly believe that Quinn, or a new coach, should seriously consider moving Kreider to the right side, especially if Lafreni?re and Panarin are your top two left wingers. Kreider will benefit from shooting from his off-wing (as Panarin does, and many other top scorers do) with his stick blade in the middle of the ice rather than toward the wall.

trigger warning

I think Alec Martinez will be in their sights, a left-shooting defenseman with skill and two Stanley Cup rings at age 33. He checks a ton of boxes and needs for this young team, and if they can get him, or another like him, they can allow their coming-soon defensemen to take the proper steps to the NHL — starting in the AHL and working their way up.

I want a 4th line that is big, physical, can kill penalties, and can set the tone. Offensive upside is a slight plus, but with 3 offensive lines, I'm not worried about that today.

Re-signed Faksa (DAL - RFA) - 6'3, 220lbs. Next contract should be around $3m per. Great bottom 6 C, and at 26, still has some upside. Not overly physical, but physical enough and has that big body that leans on you, which is annoying to play against. Can also slot up on the third line without issue.

Traded Josh Andersson (CBJ) 6'3, 220. Physical player, 2nd most TOI/PK for Tort's forwards. Has put up goals in lower levels, and did have a 27 goal season last year. Was injured this season, which should bring down his trade value and cap hit. Might not get enough ice time on the 4th line to show his true effectiveness as a player.

Didn't play Brian Boyle (UFA) - 6'6, 245lbs. 35 years OLD. Still one of the best defensive centers, and pkers in the league for his ~1m price tag. Can also line up as a wing. But he's at the end. He can still play semi-physical and will drop the gloves. A good leader.

signed for 3 years in OTT Austin Watson (NSH) 6'4",205lbs, 28yo, 1y $1.5m left. Available for a 5th round pick. RW/LW. Physical, fights, #4th among Nashville forwards with penalty kill minutes per game. Did put up decent offensive numbers at lower levels.

Barclay Goodrow (TB) - 6'2, 215. Physical, fights, kills penalties, role player. Problem being that TB just overpaid for him at the deadline, and with his low caphit, I dont anticipate them moving him.

Jordan Staal (CAR) - 6'4, 220. 31 years old, $6mx3y left on contract. Would obviously require Carolina to eat $2 - 3m, which they might do. Although its not the name you want to hear, he checks off a lot of boxes.

(UFA) Ryan Dzingel (CAR) - kind of forgotten about after he signed his 2y x $3.75m contract, including being scratched during the playoffs. Still young enough at 29, he can play C or either W, kills penalties, takes tough assignments, willing to much it up and play gritty, and has some good speed and skill that can easily move up and down the line up. Probably takes a few mid round picks to acquire.

(1-year rem) Antoine Roussel (VAN) - Like Dzingel, he's not the prototypical huge 4th line dude I desire, but he plays big. He's coming off a knee injury that led to a rough season, which could mean he's cheap to acquire, especially with Vancouver in cap trouble. An agitator thats annoying to play against.

Traded Sam Bennett (CGY) - a former top pick is on his way out of Calgary. 1y @ 2.55m left, and should come cheap in a trade. Can play all forward positions and in all roles, although the last 2 seasons he's been a bottom 6 winger. Still has upside. Is also a pest and can play physical.

Lawson Crouse (ARI) 6'4, 220. 2y @ $1.53m remaining. Plays big. Also has some skill. Similar to Gauthier, but more polished, but a lower ceiling.

Dump old salaries: Bozak, Stepan, Anisimov, Turris, Sutter

Change-of-Scenery: Kerfoot, Jost

Not really thinking about a Loui Eriksson or Milan Lucic type of terrible contract.

Boyle - a year removed from playing, old. #Done

Goodrow - upcoming RFA, but not sure TB lets him go. They need to shed salary, and he'll be back, putting up better numbers than Chytil, beating people up on a cheap deal.

Staal - bounced back, Not going to get him as cheap.

Rouseel - can be had for free, probably. Terrible season. More of a pest, which is probably secondary to a modern-enforcer type.

Dzingel - will be a cheaper FA. I'd love to see him replace Blackwell. More of a pest, but he's also annoying/harder to play against than the current bottom 6

This Offseason (no order):

Logan Brown - C, OTT. 6'6. RFA. Only 1 NHL game this season, most of the time on the taxi squad, but your change-of-scenery to take the next step kinda guy. Former 11th overall pick that's obviously fallen down their depth charts. Touted as a "massive playmaking two-way center with a lethal shot"

Jake Virtanen - decent size, plays physical. 6th overall pick in 2014 that never reached that potential. 1 year left at 2.55 and with Canucks cap crunch, probably pretty cheap to get (late pick). Only put up 5 points (all goals) this season, which only makes him cheaper. Change of scenery could really get him going.

Nicolas Deslauriers - W, ANA. 1 year left at 1m. Here is your potential fighter, if that's what you are looking for. Not your every day player, but you put him in the lineup against some of those division rivals when you need him. He'd be cheap to acquire, probably a 5th round pick at most.

Ryan Getzlaf - your character 3rd line C. Adds leadership. UFA. Skill is not what it used to be, but he may be able to move up the line up with injuries, has the experience, and knows his time in the NHL is limited. If they could sign in in the mold of Thornton in Toronto, I think that can help. But it needs to be a contract comparable, not multi years or a big cap hit.

I will add more later.

• Like 1

I've been playing around with lineups, Buchnevich and Chytil are the hardest forwards to include.

If the Rangers are going hard in win-now, it's probably Kravtsov moving.

Adding - Schneider is going to the 2021 IIHF World Championship. If he has a good showing, there's potential for him to compete for a spot next season...

which means Lundkvist + Kravtsov for a potential top 6 upgrade. That could get a good return, but it does tighten my balls a bit. (Even then, you're stuck with Lafreniere & kakko/kravtsov on the 3rd line... unless Buch is gone, too) Maybe that's why Nils hasnt signed, yet...

I've been playing around with lineups, Buchnevich and Chytil are the hardest forwards to include.

If the Rangers are going hard in win-now, it's probably Kravtsov moving.

Adding - Schneider is going to the 2021 IIHF World Championship. If he has a good showing, there's potential for him to compete for a spot next season...

which means Lundkvist + Kravtsov for a potential top 6 upgrade. That could get a good return, but it does tighten my balls a bit. (Even then, you're stuck with Lafreniere & kakko/kravtsov on the 3rd line... unless Buch is gone, too) Maybe that's why Nils hasnt signed, yet...

I think if you're really swinging for the fences on an upgrade, it's Nils+1st 2021 on the table as a starting point. And hey, if I'm Nils, I probably don't sign a deal until I know with whom I'm signing it, especially if Buffalo is in play.

Buch or Kravtsov, and Chytil are definitely in play, though I'd venture a guess that the analytics guys are going to have a goddamn coronary if you try and trade any of them.

The Rangers managed to give themselves quite a war chest on defense, though. It's a good problem to have that Matthew Robertson might be a top 5 WHL defender and can't crack the top 3 in your defense pipeline.