• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021 Offseason Thread: Fuck Around & Find Out!

Phil

Phillip Danault checks a lot of boxes if they go the free agent route. If you're dealing Chytil, this is the guy you probably should be replacing his spot with.

But what are you packaging Chytil with to make it worth trading him? IMO he still has a lot of potential, but his worth is probably at its lowest. If your getting pennies on the dollar in return, he has to go in a package that brings back a significant player. It'd have to include one of the D prospects/players too. The Rangers need to make room for these improvements.

Any chance of Buffalo eating salary on Eichel if we sweeten the pot big time?

I'd really like to just inject Eichel into the lineup and keep Strome and Zibanejad (as a wing). If they eat salary (20-30%), it gives the Rangers room to extend Zibanejad and Strome, as well as future RFAs. But at some point they will be forced to seriously dump Kreider and or Trouba, if any of these kids actually develop.

Chytil

Jones

Kravstov

and a throw in like Gauthier or Hajek

For

Eichel with 20-30% salary retention.

Sign Phillip Danault

Lafreniere- Eichel- Zibanejad/ Buchnevich/Kreider/ Kakko

Panarin- Strome- Same as listed above

Same as listed above- Danault- same as listed above

Rooney- Barron- free agent/trade banger

Lindgren- Fox

Miller- Trouba

Smith/ kid/- Lundkvist

I know this doesn't solve the grit issue, but I don't see any big moves that are possible to bring such a player of worth in return for what the Rangers HAVE TO trade.

With 30% retained the Rangers walk away with 18, 625.199 in cap space according to cap friendly. Plenty to sign RFAs this and next off-season as well as throwing some dough at Danault..

Aside from maybe taking Lucic, I don't see an answer for the thing we are dying for. Do we want Lucic at this stage of his career? He screams NY Rangers reach for a has been, but he'd be better than nothing.

Phillip Danault checks a lot of boxes if they go the free agent route. If you're dealing Chytil, this is the guy you probably should be replacing his spot with.

But what are you packaging Chytil with to make it worth trading him? IMO he still has a lot of potential, but his worth is probably at its lowest. If your getting pennies on the dollar in return, he has to go in a package that brings back a significant player. It'd have to include one of the D prospects/players too. The Rangers need to make room for these improvements.

Any chance of Buffalo eating salary on Eichel if we sweeten the pot big time?

I'd really like to just inject Eichel into the lineup and keep Strome and Zibanejad (as a wing). If they eat salary (20-30%), it gives the Rangers room to extend Zibanejad and Strome, as well as future RFAs. But at some point they will be forced to seriously dump Kreider and or Trouba, if any of these kids actually develop.

Chytil

Jones

Kravstov

and a throw in like Gauthier or Hajek

For

Eichel with 20-30% salary retention.

Sign Phillip Danault

Lafreniere- Eichel- Zibanejad/ Buchnevich/Kreider/ Kakko

Panarin- Strome- Same as listed above

Same as listed above- Danault- same as listed above

Rooney- Barron- free agent/trade banger

Lindgren- Fox

Miller- Trouba

Smith/ kid/- Lundkvist

I know this doesn't solve the grit issue, but I don't see any big moves that are possible to bring such a player of worth in return for what the Rangers HAVE TO trade.

With 30% retained the Rangers walk away with 18, 625.199 in cap space according to cap friendly. Plenty to sign RFAs this and next off-season as well as throwing some dough at Danault..

Aside from maybe taking Lucic, I don't see an answer for the thing we are dying for. Do we want Lucic at this stage of his career? He screams NY Rangers reach for a has been, but he'd be better than nothing.

Danault terrifies me. Between the concussions, the general inconsistency of output, and the amount of money he's turned down already, I'd stay far, far away.

My "target" is Vincent Trocheck. The Canes need to do something to avoid losing a serious piece in the expansion draft - may as well give our old buddy Don Waddell a call and see what it'd take.

Danault terrifies me. Between the concussions, the general inconsistency of output, and the amount of money he's turned down already, I'd stay far, far away.

My "target" is Vincent Trocheck. The Canes need to do something to avoid losing a serious piece in the expansion draft - may as well give our old buddy Don Waddell a call and see what it'd take.

He'd be a nice get, but he wouldn't be happy on a 3rd line, unless you're thinking of dumping Zibanejad or Strome. Always liked Trocheck. Not sure he's a fit though.

Do we go after Barkov now or wait until next year when he becomes a UFA

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

This is who I want.. Not Eichel.. Part of me wants Flordia to get shitpumped by Tampa and Barkov to say he wants out. This all occurring in parallel with Carolina losing a heartbreaker in 7 to Nashville, Dundon making a comment about bad coaching and Bind'Amour telling him to fuck off..

This is about as unlikely as the lottery last year, but why the hell not.

Trading Kravtsov would be a big mistake. He stepped into the NHL and was not only good on offense, but seemed to grasp the defensive side seamlessly already. You trade Buch because it saves you about $5 mil that you can then spend elsewhere.

Yea he might be our best prospect right now IMO. Certainly above Kakko.

This is who I want.. Not Eichel.. Part of me wants Flordia to get shitpumped by Tampa and Barkov to say he wants out. This all occurring in parallel with Carolina losing a heartbreaker in 7 to Nashville, Dundon making a comment about bad coaching and Bind'Amour telling him to fuck off..

This is about as unlikely as the lottery last year, but why the hell not.

I understand Eichel's frustration with Buffalo, and I don't mind him voicing his opinions about it, but something about him has just rubbed me the wrong way. He's extremely talented, obviously, but he's never really given off the best vibes. Plus, that herniated disc in his neck is a cause for concern. Having said all of that, I fully expect him to be a Ranger this Summer. lol

You think so? I'm not as sure. I think it's pretty neck and neck. Krav was very much like Kakko this season in terms of looking good on the ice but failing to produce much.

Less games, less opportunity. IMO he looked like a legit prospect getting his feet wet in the NHL vs Kakko who still looks like he is taking hockey lessons on the side. Defensively, Kravtsov looks much much better. There were a few games where I noticed him hustling back to make a good defensive play. Noticed him throwing his body a bit (albeit not big hits, but still).

NOTE: I am not ragging on Kakko I just dont see his ceiling as high as I once used to.

Less games, less opportunity. IMO he looked like a legit prospect getting his feet wet in the NHL vs Kakko who still looks like he is taking hockey lessons on the side. Defensively, Kravtsov looks much much better. There were a few games where I noticed him hustling back to make a good defensive play. Noticed him throwing his body a bit (albeit not big hits, but still).

NOTE: I am not ragging on Kakko I just dont see his ceiling as high as I once used to.

Krav is also a year older. That means a lot too when he's been playing against men in the KHL. So less NHL experience but an extra year of growth.

I don't think I could stomach trading either of them though, at least yet. Imagine trading the wrong one? That would set us back so far.

Krav is also a year older. That means a lot too when he's been playing against men in the KHL. So less NHL experience but an extra year of growth.

I don't think I could stomach trading either of them though, at least yet. Imagine trading the wrong one? That would set us back so far.

Good point and I agree to not trading them. Let these kids develop first to see what we have here.

You think so? I'm not as sure. I think it's pretty neck and neck. Krav was very much like Kakko this season in terms of looking good on the ice but failing to produce much.

I think both of them are held back/have been held back with low-line roles that allow them to see the game and read the game at their own speed, but playing with guys who won't produce with them.

You've got 3 top 6 RW, no room on the left to flip one, and two spots. Kravtsov isn't a third line player. Kakko isn't a third line player. Buchnevich isn't a third line player - doubly so at the rate he's going to command.

As much as they love him, I think the writing might be on the wall for Buchnevich here. Between the need to put together some line diversity, the financials, and the frankly astounding growth Kakko and Kravtsov have shown (and it has been astounding - Kakko went from "worst player in NHL" to "analytics darling that should be in the Selke conversation if the Selke were actually awarded to a defensive player" and Kravtsov went from "can't hack it in AHL" to "clear NHL player" in the span of 18 months)...I have to imagine that Buchnevich finds himself dealt for a kings ransom.

literally every forward prospect the last 3 years.

https://theathletic.com/2586738/2021/05/14/would-john-tortorella-be-a-fit-for-the-rangers-jack-eichel-trade-assets-glen-sather-pulling-strings-mailbag/

TL;DR:

-Torts checks a lot of boxes for the Rangers. Loves him for the NA kids, unsure about the European kids in spite of the known strong relationship w/Panarin

-Quinn has a good future in the NHL - probably as an assistant

-Kreider and Trouba going nowhere - need more like them

-PHIL TRIGGER WARNING Fox/Laf completely untouchable, Kakko/Lindgren/Miller right up there. "Trade Pool" for an upgrade is probably Jones, Chytil, Barron, Kravtsov level of prospects.

-Eichel is the target most likely to be a Ranger. Injury will play a role in Ranger's perceptions.

-Rumblings that Barkov wants something done this season (doesn't want to be a UFA, doesn't want to be a deadline rental)

-Rangers hoping Seattle takes Gauthier

-Front office purge has Sather all over it; can't fire an owner

-Nils Lundkvist signing should be imminent

-Hank will try to play hockey next season

-No offer sheets

-Zibanejad extension likely in the 8-8.5 range

https://theathletic.com/2586738/2021/05/14/would-john-tortorella-be-a-fit-for-the-rangers-jack-eichel-trade-assets-glen-sather-pulling-strings-mailbag/

TL;DR:

-Torts checks a lot of boxes for the Rangers. Loves him for the NA kids, unsure about the European kids in spite of the known strong relationship w/Panarin

-PHIL TRIGGER WARNING Fox/Laf completely untouchable, Kakko/Lindgren/Miller right up there. "Trade Pool" for an upgrade is probably Jones, Chytil, Barron, Kravtsov level of prospects.

-Eichel is the target most likely to be a Ranger. Injury will play a role in Ranger's perceptions.

-Rumblings that Barkov wants something done this season (doesn't want to be a UFA, doesn't want to be a deadline rental)

-No offer sheets

See's two words

"I bet its a bunch of Carp"

yup.

TL;DR:

-No offer sheets

So Carp reads this board too?

Why would they hope seattle takes Gauthier? He has to still have SOME trade value?!

Because they have to expose (and lose) someone. Losing Gauthier would be great. He's got no real runway here. Best to have him plucked by a team like Seattle, far, far away.

Why would they hope seattle takes Gauthier? He has to still have SOME trade value?!

Not sure. Talks about trading RWs Kakko, Kravtsov and Buchnevich - so the kid might actually get playing time under a new coach.

or, Maybe Drury is the one that really likes Howden. (lol)

Because they have to expose (and lose) someone. Losing Gauthier would be great. He's got no real runway here. Best to have him plucked by a team like Seattle, far, far away.

I mean I am not versed on the list they're going to expose but I would rather lose someone like Kinkaid or Rooney who you can replace and then trade Gauthier who still has upside and I am sure you can get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for at least. But what do I know :shit:

Problem is that there's no team that would trade for Gauthier that would also protect him.

If he survives the expansion draft, great, I'm sure he's tradeable for a mid pick. If not, okay, I guess.

The more stressful thing about seeing that the Rangers want Gauthier picked is that it means they're going to protect Howden, since I can't imagine they protect any of Ronning, Greco, Gettinger, Fontaine, Brodzinski, or DiGi, and they have to expose Rooney and Blackwell as things stand.

Trading Kravtsov would be a big mistake. He stepped into the NHL and was not only good on offense, but seemed to grasp the defensive side seamlessly already. You trade Buch because it saves you about $5 mil that you can then spend elsewhere.

Meh. Looked pretty regular on the offensive side. Shied away from contact. Very perimeter, no nose for the net, not flashy. Obviously he was just getting his feet wet, but from what I saw, I'm not ready to say he's a keeper over Buchnevich, whom I feel really had a big time stepping stone season. He proved to be very versatile, when many thought of him as a wimpy, pouty, lower tier finesse forward. He had a breakout year and really surprised me with where he was able to take his game.

One is somewhat proven and will get a raise accordingly, and the other is unproven with unknown potential.

Obviously we want to save cap space, but the Rangers need assurance more than they need cap space and a learning curve. Unless people see Kravstov as a 50 goal scorer, I'm not sure I'm ready to risk losing a known commodity in Buchnevich, just because you have to pay him.

This never ending desire to keep bringing in prospects and go with youth has to come to a boiling point.