• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021 Offseason Thread: Fuck Around & Find Out!

Phil

Meh. Looked pretty regular on the offensive side. Shied away from contact. Very perimeter, no nose for the net, not flashy. Obviously he was just getting his feet wet, but from what I saw, I'm not ready to say he's a keeper over Buchnevich, whom I feel really had a big time stepping stone season. He proved to be very versatile, when many thought of him as a wimpy, pouty, lower tier finesse forward. He had a breakout year and really surprised me with where he was able to take his game.

One is somewhat proven and will get a raise accordingly, and the other is unproven with unknown potential.

Obviously we want to save cap space, but the Rangers need assurance more than they need cap space and a learning curve. Unless people see Kravstov as a 50 goal scorer, I'm not sure I'm ready to risk losing a known commodity in Buchnevich, just because you have to pay him.

This never ending desire to keep bringing in prospects and go with youth has to come to a boiling point.

A) Unless people see Kravstov as a 50 goal scorer? There's been 7 50 goal seasons in the last decade. Ovechkin has 4 of them.

2) Not flashy? Watch at least the first 10 seconds of this video...

A) Unless people see Kravstov as a 50 goal scorer? There's been 7 50 goal seasons in the last decade. Ovechkin has 4 of them.

I mean, Kravtsov looked Quinned his last few games. His first few games, he was doing everything right.

Boyle - a year removed from playing, old. #Done

Goodrow - upcoming RFA, but not sure TB lets him go. They need to shed salary, and he'll be back, putting up better numbers than Chytil, beating people up on a cheap deal.

Staal - bounced back, Not going to get him as cheap.

Rouseel - can be had for free, probably. Terrible season. More of a pest, which is probably secondary to a modern-enforcer type.

Dzingel - will be a cheaper FA. I'd love to see him replace Blackwell. More of a pest, but he's also annoying/harder to play against than the current bottom 6

This Offseason (no order):

Logan Brown - C, OTT. 6'6. RFA. Only 1 NHL game this season, most of the time on the taxi squad, but your change-of-scenery to take the next step kinda guy. Former 11th overall pick that's obviously fallen down their depth charts. Touted as a "massive playmaking two-way center with a lethal shot"

Jake Virtanen - decent size, plays physical. 6th overall pick in 2014 that never reached that potential. 1 year left at 2.55 and with Canucks cap crunch, probably pretty cheap to get (late pick). Only put up 5 points (all goals) this season, which only makes him cheaper. Change of scenery could really get him going.

Nicolas Deslauriers - W, ANA. 1 year left at 1m. Here is your potential fighter, if that's what you are looking for. Not your every day player, but you put him in the lineup against some of those division rivals when you need him. He'd be cheap to acquire, probably a 5th round pick at most.

Ryan Getzlaf - your character 3rd line C. Adds leadership. UFA. Skill is not what it used to be, but he may be able to move up the line up with injuries, has the experience, and knows his time in the NHL is limited. If they could sign in in the mold of Thornton in Toronto, I think that can help. But it needs to be a contract comparable, not multi years or a big cap hit.

I will add more later.

I forgot to add Nolan Patrick. That situation should be interesting. Looking for his 3rd agent in 3 years, and rumors out there he is asking for a trade. Did absolutely nothing last season, but there is still a ton of skill there. At this point, he might be a more likely replacement if they move Strome or Chytil and they want another 2/3 C with skill & upside. This guy will come cheap, and if he's moved, I'd anticipate a big bounce back season with a bit of motivation.

I forgot to add Nolan Patrick. That situation should be interesting. Looking for his 3rd agent in 3 years, and rumors out there he is asking for a trade. Did absolutely nothing last season, but there is still a ton of skill there. At this point, he might be a more likely replacement if they move Strome or Chytil and they want another 2/3 C with skill & upside. This guy will come cheap, and if he's moved, I'd anticipate a big bounce back season with a bit of motivation.

Nolan Patrick? Why not just keep Chytil? Patrick just scored 9 points and was a -30 after missing all of last season with an unusual health issue.

Nolan Patrick? Why not just keep Chytil? Patrick just scored 9 points and was a -30 after missing all of last season with an unusual health issue.

if they moved Chytil... in a package for an upgrade .

Point being if he's not some super talent, then he's exactly like everything they already have but a maybe.

Nice video. Nigel Dawes sends his regards. KHL isn't the NHL. Why not post a Pavel Brendl highlight reel while you're at it?

Point being if he's not some super talent, then he's exactly like everything they already have but a maybe.

Nice video. Nigel Dawes sends his regards. KHL isn't the NHL. Why not post a Pavel Brendl highlight reel while you're at it?

He actually is. He’s still learning and growing. Hopefully a new coach can keep the progress going

Maybe look into Palmieri to play on 2nd line with Panarin & Strome and Kurtis Gabriel for the 4th line.

Man I certainly hope not. Palmieri is certainly seen better days and was downright terrible at times this year with the devils and has done virtually nothing with the Isles. Putting him on the second line would be criminal at this point. Can't see how he's not a big step in the wrong direction.

Gabriel has no business being in the NHL having played under 50 games in 8 seasons, I think almost half of those in one year with the Devils. He's a punching bag, certainly willing to instigate and head off looking for the biggest icebag he can find.

They would fill two completely different roles. Not sure either is the answer but you would bring Milan in for his physicality. I'm not even sure what role Palmieri would fill at this point I think you mentioned top six?
  • Like 1

8-8.5 would be a bargain for Mika.

On Gauthier, I still really like him. He has such a great skill set and I think he's a great 4th liner because there isn't much passing or slick hockey on a 4th line so when you put a guy out there that can just lower his shoulder and take the puck to the net at will, it gives you a chance to get goals from that line without having to make pretty passes. I would love to see him get a chance with a coach here that actually gives him a chance.

8-8.5 would be a bargain for Mika.

On Gauthier, I still really like him. He has such a great skill set and I think he's a great 4th liner because there isn't much passing or slick hockey on a 4th line so when you put a guy out there that can just lower his shoulder and take the puck to the net at will, it gives you a chance to get goals from that line without having to make pretty passes. I would love to see him get a chance with a coach here that actually gives him a chance.

Except he sucks and doesn't lower his shoulder to take the puck to the net which is why he never plays. He's hockey stupid.

Kuznetsov will be an interesting name this summer.
Hopefully for someone other than us. If a strong veteran room like the capitals couldn't get him in line, I don't think there's much good that will come from bringing him to New York.

Hopefully for someone other than us. If a strong veteran room like the capitals couldn't get him in line, I don't think there's much good that will come from bringing him to New York.

I don’t think they’d move him within the conference. But him being moved could really throw a wrench into the Eichel mess.

He’s come cheap (via trade). He’d fit with some of these guys - but that’s if Zibanejad/Strome are moved/upgraded

Eichel is a bad move for this team as we seen him physically/mentally check out of the game against the Rangers. I would rather have Tatar and put him Pannarin's line. Depending who they sign I would not give up Strome but if you could move Zib, Kreider, Trouba, Chtyl, Gerogiev, Howden, Gauther, Kakko, get DeAngelo off the books some how and to replace them try for (not all) Tatar, Hopkins, Hall. Landeskog, Gruebauer, Foligno, Mike Reilly. Add some of these pieces and you can make a run, sign Eichel your dead n the water

He actually is. He’s still learning and growing. Hopefully a new coach can keep the progress going

I just wasn't wowed by his offensive game. He came in with a bit more energy and willingness to take the puck to the net, but he quickly became a perimeter guy who stayed away from traffic and took bad shots. His defensive game was waaay better than I thought it would be,

It's not a popular opinion, but I saw more offensive potential in Gauthier. That or I just like the way he attacks the net. And I mean, Gauthier did more with less opportunity.

Gauthier played 10 more games yet only played 41 more minutes and never really got a chance above the 3rd line (which looked its best with him on it and never rebounded after Chytils injury, since the combination never really was put back together) .

Kravstov averaged 12.24 minutes. Gauthier only averaged 9.39... I never got how the only actual north south player on the roster wasn't given every opportunity to succeed on a roster of perimeter pussies.

Does Kravstov top out better than Buchnevich? Right now I'm not really sure. The Rangers really can't afford to wait around to find out. IMO the 2 of them are competing for the same spot/role on the roster. It's gotta be one or the other.

We know what Buchnevich is. Do you risk going all in on Kravstov just because he's not about to get paid and is the shiny new toy? If people can tell me they think there's absolutely no doubt that Kravstov tops out as an elite level player (which is the level above Buchnevich) or atleast equal to Buchnevich, as far as 2 way play and a little sandpaper, then fine. I don't see it yet, but that means nothing. I never expected myself to actually LIKE Buchnevich in this way. Always thought he was wimpy and was kinda dogging it, after hearing a lot of hype about him, prior to his arrival.

To get a deal done for whatever this team decides they need to do to improve, one of these guys or Kakko have to be included. Sadly I currently think I keep Buchnevich over both at the moment since he's the more productive, proven AND well rounded of the 3. Kakko being the 2nd overall pick and not being a scoring machine really annoys the shit out of me. I give him more leeway due to his draft position, and my opinion may change within minutes, but Buchnevich is currently the better player and the guy I can rely on more so than the other 2, AND he's still getting better.

If they had the option to trade one of Buch or Kakko and traded Kakko the last 4 years basically would have been a waste. Kakko and Krav for that matter are cost controlled with a ton more upside than Buch ever had. Keeping Buch in that scenario is incredibly short sighted.

I just wasn't wowed by his offensive game. He came in with a bit more energy and willingness to take the puck to the net, but he quickly became a perimeter guy who stayed away from traffic and took bad shots. His defensive game was waaay better than I thought it would be,

It's not a popular opinion, but I saw more offensive potential in Gauthier. That or I just like the way he attacks the net. And I mean, Gauthier did more with less opportunity.

Gauthier played 10 more games yet only played 41 more minutes and never really got a chance above the 3rd line (which looked its best with him on it and never rebounded after Chytils injury, since the combination never really was put back together) .

Kravstov averaged 12.24 minutes. Gauthier only averaged 9.39... I never got how the only actual north south player on the roster wasn't given every opportunity to succeed on a roster of perimeter pussies.

Does Kravstov top out better than Buchnevich? Right now I'm not really sure. The Rangers really can't afford to wait around to find out. IMO the 2 of them are competing for the same spot/role on the roster. It's gotta be one or the other.

We know what Buchnevich is. Do you risk going all in on Kravstov just because he's not about to get paid and is the shiny new toy? If people can tell me they think there's absolutely no doubt that Kravstov tops out as an elite level player (which is the level above Buchnevich) or atleast equal to Buchnevich, as far as 2 way play and a little sandpaper, then fine. I don't see it yet, but that means nothing. I never expected myself to actually LIKE Buchnevich in this way. Always thought he was wimpy and was kinda dogging it, after hearing a lot of hype about him, prior to his arrival.

To get a deal done for whatever this team decides they need to do to improve, one of these guys or Kakko have to be included. Sadly I currently think I keep Buchnevich over both at the moment since he's the more productive, proven AND well rounded of the 3. Kakko being the 2nd overall pick and not being a scoring machine really annoys the shit out of me. I give him more leeway due to his draft position, and my opinion may change within minutes, but Buchnevich is currently the better player and the guy I can rely on more so than the other 2, AND he's still getting better.

You're probably right that it's Kravtsov vs Buchnevich for a spot, but there's also the question of "can you afford to pay Buchnevich and Zibanejad and the guy you trade for and Fox?"

And bluntly, it's probably Fox, guy you trade for, Zibanejad, Buchnevich a distant 4th.

There are some rather serious contract implications and ripples from paying Buchnevich this season - doubly so since he's an RFA with arbitration rights. He's a very valuable trade asset right now, and if it's Buchnevich that flips the switch for us on a player that can really make a difference and check all the boxes? I don't really hesitate there.

Throwing some stuff out there:

If the Blues wash out in the first round, could we get a Brayden Schenn or a Ryan O'Reilly?

If the Jets wash out in the first round, is Mark Schiefele or PLD available?

If the Panthers can't secure Barkov - is he available?

If the Kings want Eichel, would they deal Kopitar?

ALL of those teams could use a Buchnevich and a top tier young D as the centerpieces of a package. Most would prefer something concrete over the somewhat mystery box approach Kravtsov would offer.

I don't see the issue of having Buchnevich, Kakko, and Kravtsov on the right side. Young, offensive talent, defensively responsible, and they all have decent size. Buchnevich added some grit, Kakko is becoming tougher to play against, and Kravtsov is still young and growing.

I don't see the issue of having Buchnevich, Kakko, and Kravtsov on the right side. Young, offensive talent, defensively responsible, and they all have decent size. Buchnevich added some grit, Kakko is becoming tougher to play against, and Kravtsov is still young and growing.

It's mostly that you need to pay Buchnevich now, and there's only so much cap.

We're not having this conversation if Chytil took steps, tbqh.