• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Nils Lundkvsit Injured, Will Miss Remainder of IIHF World Championship

Lord Al

How is this more pointless than the SHL? What's the difference? If everything outside the NHL is pointless, why let them play anywhere?

Yup. Want kids to play again and again. Sure, there's a chance something bad happens. That's life. Could've have been hurt in practice, working out, slipping on a banana peel.

Not saying much so far; lower body could be a few days rest of major surgery, so who knows?

This is why you don’t send players to pointless tournaments *♂️

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

He was bossing that tournament as a 20 year old. With no Rangers hockey in 3+ months I dont really see the problem. It was either play a meaningfull (WC is not pointless for people outside of the US. Winning a WC is a big deal for a lot of players) tournament or sitting at home in Sweden (where the Covid situation is out of control).

He showed he was levels above almost everyone at the tournament at 20 y/old, sucks with the injury, but hopefully its not a big deal and he will be ready for next year.

I've said the last two years that I have Lundkvist ahead of Miller on the "D prospect depth chart", and I still do. In today's NHL where his size won't be a big problem, he's gonna be a stud. Im just scared its gonna be somewhere else (please dont trade him).

What you do early on in Worlds is pretty meaningless as all the quality players from each country are mostly still in the NHL playoffs.

Right, and he lit up Switzerland, not exactly known as a bastion for hockey talent.

Well, everyone knows that, so I dont see the reason in pointing it out EVERYTIME we talk about Lundkvist (or any other european player).

You didnt hear people say "he's only played against kid, take it easy" when people were hyping McDavid pre-draft, or with any other NA talent for that matter. We know SHL and WC aint NHL very well, but we can still see how good a player is.

Can we not just let the people who watch Lundkvist play discuss his game and the people who want to point out that SHL and other competitions is not the NHL can make a own thread about that?

Well, everyone knows that, so I dont see the reason in pointing it out EVERYTIME we talk about Lundkvist (or any other european player).

You didnt hear people say "he's only played against kid, take it easy" when people were hyping McDavid pre-draft, or with any other NA talent for that matter. We know SHL and WC aint NHL very well, but we can still see how good a player is.

Can we not just let the people who watch Lundkvist play discuss his game and the people who want to point out that SHL and other competitions is not the NHL can make a own thread about that?

This is a message board. Expect discourse.

I don't know how or why you're conflating this to some NA vs. Europe argument. Canada and the United States have teams in these tournaments too. They're also comprised of mostly lesser talents at the moment.

And why do we need to point out that it's against lesser competition? Because you have someone in an adjacent thread saying he's going to be a star because of a four-point effort against Switzerland. A four-point effort is great. Leading defensemen in scoring is great. Context is great too. He lit up a team with four NHLers. He should be beating up lesser competition so I'd expect that.

Dominance at the WC just doesn't necessarily translate to dominance in the NHL. Kakko was shitting all over teams like the US and Canada two years ago. Gusev, who's playing his way out of the NHL, dominated that same tournament.

This is a message board. Expect discourse.

I don't know how or why you're conflating this to some NA vs. Europe argument. Canada and the United States have teams in these tournaments too. They're also comprised of mostly lesser talents at the moment.

And why do we need to point out that it's against lesser competition? Because you have someone in an adjacent thread saying he's going to be a star because of a four-point effort against Switzerland. A four-point effort is great. Leading defensemen in scoring is great. Context is great too. He lit up a team with four NHLers. He should be beating up lesser competition so I'd expect that.

Dominance at the WC just doesn't necessarily translate to dominance in the NHL. Kakko was shitting all over teams like the US and Canada two years ago. Gusev, who's playing his way out of the NHL, dominated that same tournament.

He’s not an NHLer either. He’s playing against his peers. Would it be more acceptable if he was beating up a Canadian all-star team?

He’s not an NHLer either. He’s playing against his peers. Would it be more acceptable if he was beating up a Canadian all-star team?

It's more impressive if he beats up a team with better players. There's no such thing as peers for him anymore. He's not playing in an age bracket.

Again, we've seen Kakko beat NHL All-Stars in the same tournament on teams like Canada and the United States. Beating up a bunch of Swiss players is great but it should be the norm for Lundkvist. He plays equivalent or better talent consistently in Sweden.