• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021 Euro Cup

Vodka Drunkenski

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I think it was a bit of a miracle the Danes even got to extra time. Kjaer was a goddamn wall. If not for him I think the English would have put a few behind Schmeichel.

Yeah I think technically the right result happened but just the absolute wrong way to achieve it. England was much better and it always seemed like this was the inevitable result, but it’s England and they usually find new ways to screw it up. It is what it is. Just a shame to have that pk be the deciding factor especially with the new style of football where the forward can try to just barrel through guys with less importance of scoring and moreso begging the defender to make contact.

Yeah, I mean I think we both know that’s 100% incorrect. We are both Rangers fans no? We have 54 years worth of feeling “cheated” at times. And in football we all have been at some point here and there. England is not some hard luck small country that has overcome so much lol. Let’s be realistic here. England’s problem has always been England in the past and they aren’t some hated evil country. Hell if anyone r in the final is hated around the world it’s Italy for all the crap they pull. Should be a good entertaining final. Hopefully the diving stops but I highly doubt it, especially with Italy out there.

I deleted my response to this. I cannot take it seriously. You literally have no idea.

I deleted my response to this. I cannot take it seriously. You literally have no idea.

No, I literally have an idea and an opinion. You aren’t the only one that’s been around football your entire life. I’m a few years shy of 50 and been around the game since I was a child. You don’t have to take my opinion seriously but I deserve respect for it even if you disagree. I won’t lose sleep over it. We just different in opinions. It’s no big deal. Hand of god moments and all. England is far from the happy go lucky small country with aww shucks bad lucks and omens. Hell even if you want to talk about Beckham’s red card, it was an idiotic kick out from Becks in the first place. And look how horrible he was treated when he got back to his country after that. Go back even further to 1990 with the treatment of Bobby Robson even before the World Cup started. From pundits, supporters, to players. England’s worst enemy internationally has been England itself, not voodoo and prior bad karma in my opinion.

And for the record,I want England to win amd I may dust off my Becks England jersey for the match. There are no bigger cheats to the beautiful game than the Italians in my mind.

Yeah when I saw that live and then especially on slow-mo, I was sure the review wouldn't call it a penalty, so it was quite a surprise to say the least. ENG lucked out big time with that one, but that's how she goes sometimes. Gotta capitalize on your opportunities, even if they're lucky, and that's what ENG did today.

The thing is, the rule for VAR states that it can only change obvious mistakes - which of course opens it up to even more randomness - and despite this being a very weak call, Sterling certainly was touched, so it's just one of these things where the call on the field will stand, because there isn't enough evidence to overturn it.

One of my criticisms of VAR is therefor that it makes some refs call everything they deem borderline, thinking VAR will correct their mistakes and then we get shit like this.

No, I literally have an idea and an opinion. You aren’t the only one that’s been around football your entire life. I’m a few years shy of 50 and been around the game since I was a child. You don’t have to take my opinion seriously but I deserve respect for it even if you disagree. I won’t lose sleep over it. We just different in opinions. It’s no big deal. Hand of god moments and all. England is far from the happy go lucky small country with aww shucks bad lucks and omens. Hell even if you want to talk about Beckham’s red card, it was an idiotic kick out from Becks in the first place. And look how horrible he was treated when he got back to his country after that. Go back even further to 1990 with the treatment of Bobby Robson even before the World Cup started. From pundits, supporters, to players. England’s worst enemy internationally has been England itself, not voodoo and prior bad karma in my opinion.

And for the record,I want England to win amd I may dust off my Becks England jersey for the match. There are no bigger cheats to the beautiful game than the Italians in my mind.

Yeah we disagree. Of course you are entitled to your opinion, I just think it’s wrong. We got cheated against Argentina (hand if god), we got cheated in ‘98 (never a red for Beckham in a million years, and Campbell scored a perfectly good goal in extra time disallowed), Rooney should never have been sent off against Portugal (Ronaldo even winked as he knows he’s a cheating fuck), we scored against Germany (Lampard, no goal, not that it would have changed the outcome though tbf). There’s a long list. All I’m simply saying is, the one time we get a dubious decision go our way, which was even double checked by VAR, people are crying foul! Get over it, we finally got a call and we’ll take it thanks after all those decisions in the past that have gone against us. Plenty of times we have sucked and deserved to lose, and other times we have been cheated, more than most IMO. I don’t feel bad for the Danes. Under this new stupid format they qualified having won one and lost two. That’s a joke in itself. But they made the most of their opportunity so fair play to them. Yesterday we were the better team by far, especially past the hour mark. When you play with attacking intent and try and win (unlike Italy) you are gonna get incidents like the penalty. I don’t think he dived but I do think it’s a weak call. But, as I said two refs looked at it and agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The thing is, the rule for VAR states that it can only change obvious mistakes - which of course opens it up to even more randomness - and despite this being a very weak call, Sterling certainly was touched, so it's just one of these things where the call on the field will stand, because there isn't enough evidence to overturn it.

One of my criticisms of VAR is therefor that it makes some refs call everything they deem borderline, thinking VAR will correct their mistakes and then we get shit like this.

Which is all fair, but, it’s interesting that nobody is commenting on the Denmark goal. Great free kick, but should never have been. Braithwaite elbowed Dolberg by accident and the ref thought it was Rice, gave a free kick incorrectly. This immediately led to another free kick where Christiansen dived (might have been Vestergaard), then they score. Nobody is complaining about this, but our dubious penalty is problem. Have to look at both. Ref gets the call right they never score their goal.

Which is all fair, but, it’s interesting that nobody is commenting on the Denmark goal. Great free kick, but should never have been. Braithwaite elbowed Dolberg by accident and the ref thought it was Rice, gave a free kick incorrectly. This immediately led to another free kick where Christiansen dived (might have been Vestergaard), then they score. Nobody is complaining about this, but our dubious penalty is problem. Have to look at both. Ref gets the call right they never score their goal.

I honestly wasn't paying too much attention to the game, even the PK was just because they did more slow-mo's of it, but usually free kicks are ignored because they aren't seen as an automatic goal, like a PK is.

But as usual it's also all about rooting interest and people prefer the Underdog. Doesn't help that a lot of English supporters on my side of the Atlantic are running around as if they'd won anything already. I get it, they actually reached a final for once and are happy, but I saw my country win 2 World Cups and a Euro at Wembley and reach several more finals during my lifetime, maybe don't bring out the old song about "2 World Wars and 1 World Cup" just yet. lol

In other news, UEFA is investigating the usage of Laser pointers by english Supporters, the Booing of the Danish National Anthem (really?) and usage of fireworks:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/08/football/laser-pointer-england-denmark-euro-2020-uefa-sptn-intl/index.html

The laser thing the guy (assumedly) should get a lifetime ban. Hate that shit. Someone next to him hopefully gave him a slap.

The anthem thing I’ve made my opinion clear on before. Don’t really see the big issue tbh.

The laser thing the guy (assumedly) should get a lifetime ban. Hate that shit. Someone next to him hopefully gave him a slap.

The anthem thing I’ve made my opinion clear on before. Don’t really see the big issue tbh.

It's a soccer tradition really, I grew up watching in the late 80s and 90s, disrespecting the opponents anthem was basic standard. Worse when we would play the Dutch, that was real hate back then.

I honestly wasn't paying too much attention to the game, even the PK was just because they did more slow-mo's of it, but usually free kicks are ignored because they aren't seen as an automatic goal, like a PK is.

But as usual it's also all about rooting interest and people prefer the Underdog. Doesn't help that a lot of English supporters on my side of the Atlantic are running around as if they'd won anything already. I get it, they actually reached a final for once and are happy, but I saw my country win 2 World Cups and a Euro at Wembley and reach several more finals during my lifetime, maybe don't bring out the old song about "2 World Wars and 1 World Cup" just yet. lol

Yeah I get neutrals would root for Denmark, no issue with that, was a nice story after the Erikson situation. But I guess my point is people focus on the penalty and not that incident, both led to goals, both should not have been given. UEFA are gonna fine England for booing anthems, ok fine I don’t agree but can understand it, but why have you not fined the Hungarian fans for their homophobic amuse in the group games. It’s just double standards IMO.

I mean, your annoyed that they are excited they made a final for the first time since 1966? I certainly wouldn’t be getting cocky as we haven’t won a thing yet (quite literally for years and years), but of course we are gonna celebrate. Why wouldn’t they? This is uncharted territory for many generations of fans. If you didn’t celebrate your world cups and euro wins more fool you. And yes, the German team is historically far better than the English that’s not up for debate.

Not really sure what “2 WW and 1 World Cup” has to do with anything? That was a random comment. Said before in a previous post I didn’t like the singing of the German bombers song etc. That shit is totalling uncalled for and it’s a small group of mindless idiots which sadly you are unlikely to ever eradicate from the game. You get them in all sports stadiums.

It's a soccer tradition really, I grew up watching in the late 80s and 90s, disrespecting the opponents anthem was basic standard. Worse when we would play the Dutch, that was real hate back then.

Exactly. Couldn’t agree more. Everyone does it, just so happens it’s one of the rare things we are good at lol.

As people have said before ideally it wouldn’t happen in a perfect world, but it’s not. Adds to the atmosphere IMO, no harm done. If anything probably adds motivation to the opposition.

Yeah I get neutrals would root for Denmark, no issue with that, was a nice story after the Erikson situation. But I guess my point is people focus on the penalty and not that incident, both led to goals, both should not have been given. UEFA are gonna fine England for booing anthems, ok fine I don’t agree but can understand it, but why have you not fined the Hungarian fans for their homophobic amuse in the group games. It’s just double standards IMO.

I mean, your annoyed that they are excited they made a final for the first time since 1966? I certainly wouldn’t be getting cocky as we haven’t won a thing yet (quite literally for years and years), but of course we are gonna celebrate. Why wouldn’t they? This is uncharted territory for many generations of fans. If you didn’t celebrate your world cups and euro wins more fool you. And yes, the German team is historically far better than the English that’s not up for debate.

Not really sure what “2 WW and 1 World Cup” has to do with anything? That was a random comment. Said before in a previous post I didn’t like the singing of the German bombers song etc. That shit is totalling uncalled for and it’s a small group of mindless idiots which sadly you are unlikely to ever eradicate from the game. You get them in all sports stadiums.

I don't mind England winning or celebrating, mind you. It's just that the Internet currently is filled with a certain type of loudmouth fan that I can't handle anymore nowadays. It's not an "english" issue of course, every team has them, it's just that the english version comes of a bit sillier than others, at least towards us with their constant talk about the Wars or 1966 as if it still mattered. It wasn't meant to attack you or anyone else in particular, just trying to say that those people are running around shouting loudly currently and in turn decreasing neutral support for England.

There has always been bad calls in football, that I will admit. Hell, Ireland missed out on the 2010 World Cup because the referee missed a handball goal that sent France through in a playoff. Zidane got sent off for a “head butt” where Materazzi rolled around as if he were dying and his chest caved in.lol. In 94 I think Zola got sent off a few minutes into a match for a straight red on a challenge that wasn’t even really a foul lol. Totti sent off against South Korea for a questionable dive when it seemed pretty clear the referee caught a bit of Korean bias all game. What was the World Cup game where someone got 3 yellow cards? In 1990 England got not one, but two penalties very late and in extra time in the quarter finals against Cameroon to advance. Rivaldo cheating Turkey and getting a guy sent off lol. Been going on since Moses was in short pants. No team is immune from it.

I don't mind England winning or celebrating, mind you. It's just that the Internet currently is filled with a certain type of loudmouth fan that I can't handle anymore nowadays. It's not an "english" issue of course, every team has them, it's just that the english version comes of a bit sillier than others, at least towards us with their constant talk about the Wars or 1966 as if it still mattered. It wasn't meant to attack you or anyone else in particular, just trying to say that those people are running around shouting loudly currently and in turn decreasing neutral support for England.

You know what I think those comments are totally fair with more context. We do have plenty of idiot fans, and Germany probably gets the brunt of it given the rivalry and history etc. which is ridiculous when you really think about it. I guess the problem is social media (which I’m not on for this type of reason) gives these tools a platform. Maybe I just don’t see that perspective given I’m English. I only see my mates and others etc who aren’t douchebags and don’t understand all the constant negativity about us (I get some of it for the reasons you mention and more, I’m not naive to that fact).

Anyways, on a lighter note, only one more hangover to go. I feel like complete dog shit today [emoji106]

There has always been bad calls in football, that I will admit. Hell, Ireland missed out on the 2010 World Cup because the referee missed a handball goal that sent France through in a playoff. Zidane got sent off for a “head butt” where Materazzi rolled around as if he were dying and his chest caved in.lol. In 94 I think Zola got sent off a few minutes into a match for a straight red on a challenge that wasn’t even really a foul lol. Totti sent off against South Korea for a questionable dive when it seemed pretty clear the referee caught a bit of Korean bias all game. What was the World Cup game where someone got 3 yellow cards? In 1990 England got not one, but two penalties very late and in extra time in the quarter finals against Cameroon to advance. Rivaldo cheating Turkey and getting a guy sent off lol. Been going on since Moses was in short pants. No team is immune from it.

100%, it’s a reason why a lot of people don’t like the sport and I struggle with it at times. I think I’m simply saying we have had more than our fair share, and it’s nice to get a dubious decision to go our way for once. It’s rare but we’ll take it. It’s not “poor little us” or small nation syndrome etc lol, just nice after some real bad calls over the years to get one in our favour. Every one gets cheated I agree, I just feel we have had more than our fair share. And on the balance of things the Danes got one to so it evens itself out in due course. Now we get a call and people aren’t happy about it lol. But anyway it’s done know so hopefully we make the most of it. All means nothing otherwise.

And yes it was Graham Poll (English) who gave 3 yellows in a game lol. Counting isn’t our strong suit clearly.

The red card for Zidane was totally legit though, headbutting is not okay after all. ;)

I remember laughing my ass of, because he had done the very same thing in a Champions League game against HSV in 2000, when he was with Juventus. Seems he didn't like getting annoyed.

The red card for Zidane was totally legit though, headbutting is not okay after all. ;)

I remember laughing my ass of, because he had done the very same thing in a Champions League game against HSV in 2000, when he was with Juventus. Seems he didn't like getting annoyed.

Would love to know what Materazzi said lol.

100%, it’s a reason why a lot of people don’t like the sport and I struggle with it at times. I think I’m simply saying we have had more than our fair share, and it’s nice to get a dubious decision to go our way for once. It’s rare but we’ll take it. It’s not “poor little us” or small nation syndrome etc lol, just nice after some real bad calls over the years to get one in our favour. Every one gets cheated I agree, I just feel we have had more than our fair share. And on the balance of things the Danes got one to so it evens itself out in due course. Now we get a call and people aren’t happy about it lol. But anyway it’s done know so hopefully we make the most of it. All means nothing otherwise.

And yes it was Graham Poll (English) who gave 3 yellows in a game lol. Counting isn’t our strong suit clearly.

Grahame Poll. Guy barely ever moved from tje center circle during matches lol

Yeah that’s what I thought. Always thought it was something to do with his sister but sounds like it was something along those lines lol.

Such a good player though. One of the best I’ve ever watched. Love how he literally didn’t care as he had already won everything lol.