• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tarasenko Requests Trade from Blues; Rangers an Option?

I'm thinking differently on Tarasenko than most of you, and I wouldn't be so quick to move on from the discussion if he's on the table.

The guy has played all of maybe 40 games in the last two years. He's (finally?) healthy, or should be soon. He's still rather young, he's only got 2 years left on a reasonable ticket, and he's a BRICK SHITHOUSE (6' 225) who knows how to score goals. He's probably going to come cheaper than he should because of that shoulder injury.

I think the Blues are more "retool" than "rebuild", so a hockey trade could make some sense, too.

He's not really a "fix to what ails us", but if the price is right, he's absolutely a monster addition.

I'm thinking differently on Tarasenko than most of you, and I wouldn't be so quick to move on from the discussion if he's on the table.

The guy has played all of maybe 40 games in the last two years. He's (finally?) healthy, or should be soon. He's still rather young, he's only got 2 years left on a reasonable ticket, and he's a BRICK SHITHOUSE (6' 225) who knows how to score goals. He's probably going to come cheaper than he should because of that shoulder injury.

I think the Blues are more "retool" than "rebuild", so a hockey trade could make some sense, too.

He's not really a "fix to what ails us", but if the price is right, he's absolutely a monster addition.

What Tarasenko deal makes a lick of sense for the Blues that doesn't start with Kravtsov or Kakko + 15?

What Tarasenko deal makes a lick of sense for the Blues that doesn't start with Kravtsov or Kakko + 15?

I seriously doubt the Blues would be looking for young wings here. They've got young wings in spades - they need a veteran center or a solid D - or an out-and-out replacement for Tarasenko,

Regardless, I'd listen even if the trade is probably a year too early in our timeline.

Injuries

Assets to acquire

Contract

Doesn’t fill a team need

I seriously doubt the Blues would be looking for young wings here. They've got young wings in spades - they need a veteran center or a solid D - or an out-and-out replacement for Tarasenko,

Regardless, I'd listen even if the trade is probably a year too early in our timeline.

I wouldn't. He feels like entirely the wrong person to add.

He doesn't just not fill a need, he takes away a major opportunity for Kravtsov or Kakko to get top-six minutes, and at more than ten times the price. Assuming you somehow also keep Buchnevich and don't give up one of Kravtsov or Kakko, you're now playing one of them on your fourth line, too. So, again, how are you getting him without moving a RW in the deal?

He doesn't just not fill a need, he takes away a major opportunity for Kravtsov or Kakko to get top-six minutes, and at more than ten times the price. Assuming you somehow also keep Buchnevich and don't give up one of Kravtsov or Kakko, you're now playing one of them on your fourth line, too. So, again, how are you getting him without moving a RW in the deal?

I'd imagine that a scenario where we acquire another RW, especially an elite one, involves Buchnevich in the deal or being dealt to fill a center role. Again, I'd state that Tarasenko doesn't fit a clear need for us, but if the price is right, it's hard to pass on a guy who fits our size profile and knows how to score goals when you've got an army of elite passers.

I'd imagine that a scenario where we acquire another RW, especially an elite one, involves Buchnevich in the deal or being dealt to fill a center role. Again, I'd state that Tarasenko doesn't fit a clear need for us, but if the price is right, it's hard to pass on a guy who fits our size profile and knows how to score goals when you've got an army of elite passers.

I think we have most of the pieces here already, G. Tarasenko, definitely a good player....but like you said, doesn't seem to fit with us right now.....maybe a deadline deal down the pike a little though. I wouldn't rule that out.

Just a pinch of something, and a dash of another, and we're looking good. I'd ask to see them play a lot tougher this year, but then again, we have a coach that's kinda "been there and done it" before....I'm feeling pretty good about what we already have...it just needs a little pizazz, and we're off like a dirty pair of drawers!!! ;)

Tarasenko has been an afterthought for the past three years now because he cannot stay healthy. Why in the world would the Rangers want to add someone who cannot stay in the lineup and carries a massive cap hit. Then add in the opportunity cost of the young stud prospect that he's taking power play and ice time from and finally what they give up in the deal to get him. I'm not sure he works for the Rangers if they got him for a bag of pucks. As long as he comes with his contract there is no price that makes sense.

He's still rather young, he's only got 2 years left on a reasonable ticket, and he's a BRICK SHITHOUSE (6' 225) who knows how to score goals..

At this point, he's comparable to Buchnevich (size eise), who has 3" on him, is 3 years younger, and plays a grittier game. All he needs to do is beef up a tiny bit and he becomes so much more complete.

Tarasenko hasn't had a dominant season in about 4 years.

Unless the Rangers unload the kids or Buch, I really don't see him as a fit. Even then you have to look and see there is a bit of a decline at age 29/30.

Tarasenko hasn't been healthy for the last 2 seasons.

I'd probably take Tarasenko over Buch, but I can't recall Tarasenko doing anything defensively, or killing penalties.

But hey, Buchnevich played some C in the KHL, maybe up that Russian Meddling with Panarin - Buchnevich - Tarasenko

What is expected to be an active offseason for the Blues now has a clear No. 1 priority: trading Vladimir Tarasenko.

Tarasenko has officially requested a trade from the club, multiple sources have told The Athletic.

The right winger asked for the move earlier this offseason, and Blues general manager Doug Armstrong is currently attempting to facilitate the deal, according to league and team sources. There is no apparent timetable for a move, but the expectation is that it could happen before the start of the 2021-22 season.

Tarasenko, 29, is entering the seventh year of an eight-year, $60 million contract ($7.5 million annual average value). His full no-trade clause kicked in two years ago.

On Wednesday, The Athletic surveyed a handful of NHL general managers, who confirmed that Armstrong has quietly been shopping Tarasenko for a while. Those GMs were aware of his availability but are not interested. It’s a small sample but could be a glimpse of the difficulty the Blues can expect in trying to move him.

There has been speculation that Tarasenko’s camp has supplied the Blues with a shortlist of teams to which he’d approve a trade, but sources say the list includes as many as 10 teams.

It would make sense for Tarasenko, who switched to agent Paul Theofanous from Mike Liut this summer, to be open-minded about where he’s potentially going. If he limited the number of clubs to which the Blues could trade him, he’d be lessening his chances of getting moved.

Furthermore, Tarasenko will likely want to play for a contender, and the list of those teams with limited cap space next season includes Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, the New York Islanders, Vegas, Washington, Montreal, Toronto and Florida. They make up eight of the 16 teams that made the postseason this year, and the number is nine including the Blues.

The Islanders, who were knocked out of this year’s playoffs by Tampa Bay, have been mentioned as a possible fit. The New York Rangers, who have Tarasenko’s close friend Artemi Panarin (who is also represented by Theofanous) could be another. Would he waive his no-trade clause to play in Edmonton with Connor McDavid and company?

https://theathletic.com/news/blues-longtime-winger-vladimir-tarasenko-requests-trade-sources/V7LCZ3PL1WHC

Cant not mention the Rangers, huh?

"Those GMs were aware of his availability but are not interested."

I'm sure NYR were one of the first teams approached. He has a NMC and can, essentially, pick his team.

I would certainly consider it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to do it. Buchnevich for Tarasenko would be a fairish swap. I don't think STL could do much better, if any better, on a hockey trade since they don't want picks and prospects. For the Rangers, it's a roll of the dice on Tarasenko being healthy and returning to form. If he does, he is clearly better than Buchnevich. It's maybe a coin flip on that being the case. The contract is fine as it expires at the right time (2 years).

Drury doesn't strike me as a guy who will take a risk like this though. It is a rather unnecessary risk to take. If Tarasenko were a center, I bet he'd take the plunge. But he's not.

Tarasenko and Thomas

Buch, Chytil, 15

Play Thomas at third line center, rounds out the entire lineup. You lose a little on the first line but get a lot harder to play against on the third line.

Plus, they are two guys who have won cups and are not ancient, and were not ancient when they won cups either

• Like 1

Tarasenko and Thomas

Buch, Chytil, 15

Play Thomas at third line center, rounds out the entire lineup. You lose a little on the first line but get a lot harder to play against on the third line.

Plus, they are two guys who have won cups and are not ancient, and were not ancient when they won cups either

Tarasenko alone doesn't excite me, but this kind of trade has me tingly. You probably "lose" on paper, like you said, but Thomas and Tarasenko are playoffs warriors. They're both guys who drive your team when the games matter most.

With this kind of deal, I'd hope they retain on Tarasenko in exchange for the 15. After that, I think I'm game.