• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tarasenko Requests Trade from Blues; Rangers an Option?

I would certainly consider it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to do it. Buchnevich for Tarasenko would be a fairish swap. I don't think STL could do much better, if any better, on a hockey trade since they don't want picks and prospects. For the Rangers, it's a roll of the dice on Tarasenko being healthy and returning to form. If he does, he is clearly better than Buchnevich. It's maybe a coin flip on that being the case. The contract is fine as it expires at the right time (2 years).

Drury doesn't strike me as a guy who will take a risk like this though. It is a rather unnecessary risk to take. If Tarasenko were a center, I bet he'd take the plunge. But he's not.

yeah but Drury won a cup with a STACKED team in Colorado.

When he didn't win in buffalo - no big name players

Silver medal for the US - no super star.

I think of this during the ongoing Eichel rumors

Tarasenko and Thomas

Buch, Chytil, 15

Play Thomas at third line center, rounds out the entire lineup. You lose a little on the first line but get a lot harder to play against on the third line.

Plus, they are two guys who have won cups and are not ancient, and were not ancient when they won cups either

Cut the 15 out. 2 for 2 is enough with Tarasenko's health concerns.

Tarasenko and Thomas

Buch, Chytil, 15

Play Thomas at third line center, rounds out the entire lineup. You lose a little on the first line but get a lot harder to play against on the third line.

Plus, they are two guys who have won cups and are not ancient, and were not ancient when they won cups either

not a terrible idea but an overpayment, maybe even without the 1st rd pick. Doesn't solve Rangers issues, honestly.

Tarasenko and Thomas

Buch, Chytil, 15

Yup. This. 100% this. You're talking about a near-even money swap post new contracts for our RFAs and you fill two glaring holes (a RW that wants to shoot the puck and a 3c).

I think I read somewhere that Tarasenko is really good friends with Panarin too, so that could be a factor. I'm kind of iffy on it myself given his age and injury history. The last couple of years haven't been too kind to his body. I don't think he'd necessarily be terrible, though, but it's something I'm balking at the thought of.

I'd probably take Tarasenko over Buch, but I can't recall Tarasenko doing anything defensively, or killing penalties.

But hey, Buchnevich played some C in the KHL, maybe up that Russian Meddling with Panarin - Buchnevich - Tarasenko

Tarasenko doesn't kill penalties, but is a routinely strong possession player at 5v5. I'd expect him to slot in opposite Panarin in this scenario.

Giving Panarin a triggerman like Tarasenko feels unfair.

I think I read somewhere that Tarasenko is really good friends with Panarin too, so that could be a factor. I'm kind of iffy on it myself given his age and injury history. The last couple of years haven't been too kind to his body. I don't think he'd necessarily be terrible, though, but it's something I'm balking at the thought of.

The Athletic article that scooped the trade request mentions that he's upset with how the Blues handled his injury and that it took them three surgeries to finally get it right.

This feels like a "buy low, mid-risk" sort of thing to me. His injury history might be a self-inflicted wound by the Blues, but it matters here.

Tarasenko and Eichel would be typical Rangers moves years ago, stars with big health concerns. Eichel would at least fill a need at center but I’d still stay away from both

To play devil's advocate on Tarasenko here and comparing him to an oft-injured RW that we know and love - Marian Gaborik was perfectly productive through his age 32 season. Tarasenko's three years off that season and has two years on the deal.

I'd say it all depends on the price. If we can get Tarasenko and Dunn or Thomas or Barbashev and we give up something like Buchnevich and the 15th, plus like a Hunter Skinner? Yeah, I'm fine with that.

If Tarasenko's asking price is Eichel-esque, we shouldn't touch it.

Tarasenko has been an afterthought for the past three years now because he cannot stay healthy. Why in the world would the Rangers want to add someone who cannot stay in the lineup and carries a massive cap hit. Then add in the opportunity cost of the young stud prospect that he's taking power play and ice time from and finally what they give up in the deal to get him. I'm not sure he works for the Rangers if they got him for a bag of pucks. As long as he comes with his contract there is no price that makes sense.

Agree with this, he just doesn’t fill a need

Tarasenko and Thomas

Buch, Chytil, 15

gonna parrot Phil here. I'm not on the trade for tarasenko bandwagon but I definitely like this deal a lot.

$7.5 isn't a massive cap hit for a 40 goal scorer.

He had two surgeries, neither of them corrected the issue, so he went for his own opinion and got a third surgery. It's easy to just look at the stats and say he hasn't played full seasons, but we need to understand why.

He would need to be medically cleared to be traded, you can't trade injured players unless the receiving team approves it. Very easy to do the due diligence here.

The Rangers have more than enough talent up front to compete. It’s other areas where they need help. But, if you can buy low on more talent and maybe bring in some of what you need along the way? I’m not against it. If you can nab Tarasenko and, as was mentioned earlier, someone like Thomas to fill a hole on your 3rd line in the middle, I’d be okay with that. A healthy Tarasenko playing with a chip on his shoulder having Panarin feeding him? You’re looking at someone who will fill the back of the net, both now and come playoff time, where he has excelled.

$7.5 isn't a massive cap hit for a 40 goal scorer.

He had two surgeries, neither of them corrected the issue, so he went for his own opinion and got a third surgery. It's easy to just look at the stats and say he hasn't played full seasons, but we need to understand why.

He would need to be medically cleared to be traded, you can't trade injured players unless the receiving team approves it. Very easy to do the due diligence here.

Agreeing with you is refreshing, but boring.

Tarasenkos don't fall off trees. Like....we WANT Kakko and Kravtsov to be him. If you want to take one lesson from the Lightning, take this one - get talented players regardless of positional fit. If we accidentally displace Chris Kreider or make Vitaly Kravtsov play on the third line in the process, oh well.

Taking some more time to think about it, but if Tarasenko is healthy and his shoulder is finally fixed, then he's an ideal player to acquire. He plays a strong game and has an incredible shot. If he was a UFA looking for 6 or 7 years, or if he had 4+ years left on his deal, I wouldn't take the risk. That's not the case though. Two years left is not a death sentence if the worst happens. It expires in time for Lafreniere and Miller.

I get the hesitation from people, or the flat out "no" responses because he's a winger and we have plenty of those, but I don't think the idea here is to add him to what we have. It's to rearrange the chairs and change the makeup of the team. Tarasenko does that. He makes us tougher to play against. It shouldn't affect our ability to go get a mid 6 center.

The framework Pete has makes tons of sense. Most of all because Tarasenko and Thomas play the kind of game the Rangers need. They're playoffs warriors. They've both won a Cup, too, so they're not just bringing a mentality, but the experience to pull it off.

You probably lose out on points, slightly, going from Buch to Tarasenko, but you make up for it because it's a hockey trade that actually betters your team for the postseason.