• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tarasenko Requests Trade from Blues; Rangers an Option?

Tarasenko doesn't kill penalties, but is a routinely strong possession player at 5v5. I'd expect him to slot in opposite Panarin in this scenario.

Giving Panarin a triggerman like Tarasenko feels unfair.

It’s not a need.

You got double Ds and want to go up a size? No, you need a better bra for support.

• Like 3

Taking some more time to think about it, but if Tarasenko is healthy and his shoulder is finally fixed, then he's an ideal player to acquire. He plays a strong game and has an incredible shot. If he was a UFA looking for 6 or 7 years, or if he had 4+ years left on his deal, I wouldn't take the risk. That's not the case though. Two years left is not a death sentence if the worst happens. It expires in time for Lafreniere and Miller.

I get the hesitation from people, or the flat out "no" responses because he's a winger and we have plenty of those, but I don't think the idea here is to add him to what we have. It's to rearrange the chairs and change the makeup of the team. Tarasenko does that. He makes us tougher to play against. It shouldn't affect our ability to go get a mid 6 center.

we can always put him on LTIR and keep him there until the playoffs. His cap hit wont even count :)

It’s not a need.

You got double Ds and want to go up a size? No, you need a better bra for support.

1. There is ample empirical evidence that wanting to go up a size from "already big" has never been an issue for many women of certain professions

2. A more accurate analogy would be like "I've already got two great tits and I want a third one" - not an option for most women who weren't in Total Recall, but absolutely an option for an analogy where Panarin and Zibanejad are left tit and right tit.

1. There is ample empirical evidence that wanting to go up a size from "already big" has never been an issue for many women of certain professions

2. A more accurate analogy would be like "I've already got two great tits and I want a third one" - not an option for most women who weren't in Total Recall, but absolutely an option for an analogy where Panarin and Zibanejad are left tit and right tit.

Say the trade happens

Panarin Strome Tarasenko - your #1 line

So, Kreider - Zibanejad- Kakko is your shut down line?

Lafreniere- Thomas - Kravtsov is a kid line

And 4th line.

Did this make the team tougher to play against? Did you add much needed leadership? Physicality? Did you get better defensively? Are they tougher?

I struggle to see how the team upgraded or addressed any needs.

Say the trade happens

And 4th line.

Did this make the team tougher to play against? Did you add much needed leadership? Physicality? Did you get better defensively? Are they tougher?

I think Tarasenko is objectively harder to play against than Buchnevich

I think Thomas is a better fit at center than Chytil and is harder to play against

I think leaving three forwards off the line combos - for all we know, Bonino, Foligno, Cizikas - really dilutes the point you're trying to make here.

Say the trade happens

And 4th line.

Yes and yes. Tarasenko and Thomas play like bulls. Especially with the puck, which they both love to shoot.

They don't have a desperate need to get better defensively. They could improve, sure, but even with a shitty college coach they did awfully well for a team that didn't make the playoffs.

• Tied for 10th in GA/GP last season (2.77)

• Ninth-best PK (82.3)

• Tied for the sixth-most wins when leading after one period (17)

• Tied for eighth-most wins when leading after two periods (21)

• Tied for tenth in fewest goals against (155)

• 14th in 5v5 GA (106).

Leadership and physicality can be addressed with fourth-line signings. Pick up Martinook and Goodrow. Sign Cizikas. Get Bret Richie (UFA) if you want.

Panarin - Strome - Tarasenko

Lafreniere - Zibanejad - Kravtsov

Kreider - Thomas - Kakko

Martinook - Cizikas - Goodrow

Absolutely qualifies as harder to play against by my eye.

Yes and yes. Tarasenko and Thomas play like bulls. Especially with the puck, which they both love to shoot.

They don't have a desperate need to get better defensively. They could improve, sure, but even with a shitty college coach they did awfully well for a team that didn't make the playoffs.

• Tied for 10th in GA/GP last season (2.77)

• Ninth-best PK (82.3)

• Tied for the sixth-most wins when leading after one period (17)

• Tied for eighth-most wins when leading after two periods (21)

• Tied for tenth in fewest goals against (155)

• 14th in 5v5 GA (106).

Leadership and physicality can be addressed with fourth-line signings. Pick up Martinook and Goodrow. Sign Cizikas. Get Bret Richie (UFA) if you want.

Panarin - Strome - Tarasenko

Lafreniere - Zibanejad - Kravtsov

Kreider - Thomas - Kakko

Martinook - Cizikas - Goodrow

Absolutely qualifies as harder to play against by my eye.

What do you think those 4th liners are signing for?

1y x 800k?

1y x 800k?

Varying numbers. Martinook is probably under $2 million. Cizikas and Goodrow are probably getting $3 million, max.

It may not work to get them all, but my point is you can absolutely construct a team that addresses all of the things we want them to, that they need to, including the proposed Tarasenko/Thomas deal.

1y x 800k?

I'd reckon they sign for a total hit of 5m. More than doable seeing as you've effectively moved Chytil and Buchnevich's salaries for Tarasenko and Thomas at roughly a net zero cost increase versus expected RFA deals.

Tarasenko is 7.5

Can’t see Buch getting more than 6

Thomas will get more than Chytil

Goodrow is a hot commodity. He’ll get close to 3m x 3

Cizikas to cross the line isn’t taking a drastic pay cut from 3.35, and at 30, he’s going to want years.

That’s 6m.

I don’t see martinook taking a smaller contract either.

2 are looking for the biggest contracts they’ll ever get. 1 needs his last big pay day.

None are signing for 1 year - which makes the following off season cap space a huge issue

This isn’t like when we were starved for offensive talent and absolutely had to nab someone like Gaborik, Hossa, Heatley, etc. Back then, it was slim pickings because there are only so many truly gifted offensive talents available in any given offseason. This is different. There are plenty of players who fit our needs who will be available both via trade and via free agency. Drury has a lot of ways he can manipulate this and get it to work, and a lot of ways he can fuck up. What I’m trying to say is that there are many, many different routes to take here because there are so many people who fit our needs that we can grab. I’m just curious to see which road he goes down the next little while.

Tarasenko and Thomas

Buch, Chytil, 15

Play Thomas at third line center, rounds out the entire lineup. You lose a little on the first line but get a lot harder to play against on the third line.

Plus, they are two guys who have won cups and are not ancient, and were not ancient when they won cups either

....and THIS is why we CAN have nice things!!! ;)

This is very well thought out, Pete!

Tarasenko and Thomas

Buch, Chytil, 15

Play Thomas at third line center, rounds out the entire lineup. You lose a little on the first line but get a lot harder to play against on the third line.

Plus, they are two guys who have won cups and are not ancient, and were not ancient when they won cups either

I'm in for that in a heartbeat

I don't get why the Rangers would want Tarasenko. The part of that deal I like is Thomas. So why not just trade Buch for Thomas and move Chytil to the wing where he belongs. Or trade Chytil plus a prospect/pick for Thomas and keep Buch. Why do the Rangers want a $7.5M wing, when we already over invested at the position? Then throw in the fact that the guy has serious health concerns and is damaged goods, coming off a horrible season when he actually did play. With all the players that are going to be available this off season and all the holes the Rangers actually have why in the world would Drury make a big splash by acquiring a high priced always injured wing? It's fucking lunacy.

I don't get why the Rangers would want Tarasenko. The part of that deal I like is Thomas. So why not just trade Buch for Thomas and move Chytil to the wing where he belongs. Or trade Chytil plus a prospect/pick for Thomas and keep Buch. Why do the Rangers want a $7.5M wing, when we already over invested at the position? Then throw in the fact that the guy has serious health concerns and is damaged goods, coming off a horrible season when he actually did play. With all the players that are going to be available this off season and all the holes the Rangers actually have why in the world would Drury make a big splash by acquiring a high priced always injured wing? It's fucking lunacy.
Because he wants to be traded, he's not high priced, he's not often injured (he had one injury that was not corrected by surgeries the Blues doctor's performed which is why he wants to be traded) and because, as I already said, he does fill a need.

I don't get where the serious health concerns come in. He doesn't have a broken neck like Eichel.

For argument's sake, their size is not comparable.

30 lbs >>>>> 3"

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

But one plays up to the 30 pound difference and gets dirty. The guy with the 30 pounds doesn't and has been on a down swing for 3+ years.