• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Hockey Background

jsm7302

I'm sure there is probably a thread buried about everyone's hockey background but I'm curious to see what everyone's involvement with the game has been in their lives.

I was introduced at a young age to watching the Rangers and always wanted to play. Parents didn't have $$ for me to play ice nor the schedule to bring me for early morning practices. Ended up playing inline from pre teen to adulthood and still do. Played a few mens ice adult leagues over the years and hit up open hockey every once in a while. This is the only sport that I have ever followed religiously and the only sport I LOVE playing.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of my first memories were riding the bus with whatever team my dad was coaching at the time. My mom amd I would go on the bus for tournaments and playoffs. Those guys (kids) were my heroes. Also, getting in the sleigh, all bundled up, and Dad pulling me across town to the rink when the Junior C's had a matinee.

I also had uncles doing all kinds of shit in hockey. Sometimes I'd get to go for road trips with them and hang out with the teams they coached. Lower level junior. So much fun.

Really, as a kid in my family it was essentially hockey, hockey, hockey. That's all that really mattered. Dad played with a bunch of NHLers, and we'd get to hang out in the summer with guys like Pat Riggin, and Tony Mckegney.

I started playing at age 5. Started as a forward, moved to goalie in Atom. I was certainly nothing special, but made my Junior debut as a 14 yo. That was fun. Couple junior flame outs, and I found myself back in minor hockey for last year of Midget. We combined programs with our bitter rivals (who we went to HS with) from the next town over. OMHA bumped us up a level, and it culminated in an unlikely run to the All Ontario Finals. That was the best couple months of my life. Our town had never won a Provincial Championship. It was like Friday Night Lights.

Playing in front packed, like fucking rammed, barns, fan busses for road games, massive brawls in stands, in parking lots, etc. I'd walk around HS and Teachers would just high five me. I didn't go to class. They didn't care. Gobto Timmy's and you couldn't buy your own stuff. We lost in the final, but all the fun was in getting there, anyways. Our Semi Final win was an astounding upset, all on my back. I just remember people mobbing my dad in the stands as the final buzzer sounded, a 1-0, 40 save SO, and him just staring at me and smiling. I'll never forget it. Best moment of my life, and I have three kids.

Anyways, after a few years of beer league, I coached the Pee Wee reps for a couple years, then left town to earn an income. That's when I got distant from tne game for a couple years, but then I had kids. My kid sucks, but he loves the game, and he can really skate so he doesn't look out of place. I'm proud of him.

Now, I run player development for our local program. It's pretty easy lol.

Just a great game, with great people. I was never good and still have a thousand amazing memories. My five closest friends are all from those teams. We haven't made new close friends in thirty years, but we don't care. Just a great group of guys.

Thanks for allowing me to rant lol

• Like 2

Some of my first memories were riding the bus with whatever team my dad was coaching at the time. My mom amd I would go on the bus for tournaments and playoffs. Those guys (kids) were my heroes. Also, getting in the sleigh, all bundled up, and Dad pulling me across town to the rink when the Junior C's had a matinee.

I also had uncles doing all kinds of shit in hockey. Sometimes I'd get to go for road trips with them and hang out with the teams they coached. Lower level junior. So much fun.

Really, as a kid in my family it was essentially hockey, hockey, hockey. That's all that really mattered. Dad played with a bunch of NHLers, and we'd get to hang out in the summer with guys like Pat Riggin, and Tony Mckegney.

I started playing at age 5. Started as a forward, moved to goalie in Atom. I was certainly nothing special, but made my Junior debut as a 14 yo. That was fun. Couple junior flame outs, and I found myself back in minor hockey for last year of Midget. We combined programs with our bitter rivals (who we went to HS with) from the next town over. OMHA bumped us up a level, and it culminated in an unlikely run to the All Ontario Finals. That was the best couple months of my life. Our town had never won a Provincial Championship. It was like Friday Night Lights.

Playing in front packed, like fucking rammed, barns, fan busses for road games, massive brawls in stands, in parking lots, etc. I'd walk around HS and Teachers would just high five me. I didn't go to class. They didn't care. Gobto Timmy's and you couldn't buy your own stuff. We lost in the final, but all the fun was in getting there, anyways. Our Semi Final win was an astounding upset, all on my back. I just remember people mobbing my dad in the stands as the final buzzer sounded, a 1-0, 40 save SO, and him just staring at me and smiling. I'll never forget it. Best moment of my life, and I have three kids.

Anyways, after a few years of beer league, I coached the Pee Wee reps for a couple years, then left town to earn an income. That's when I got distant from tne game for a couple years, but then I had kids. My kid sucks, but he loves the game, and he can really skate so he doesn't look out of place. I'm proud of him.

Just a great game, with great people. I was never good and still have a thousand amazing memories. My five closest friends are all from those teams. We haven't made new close friends in thirty years, but we don't care. Just a great group of guys.

Cool stories [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Cool story, bro

Excellent guys - great stuff.

I’m a pond and lake hockey guy. HS nights at the lake were awesome. Then one summer I played with prototype inline skates that we could only use at the outdoor rink and could not take home. The guy who ran the program invited me to practice with his fall ice team at a rink. My dad drove me for the 6:30AM practice and when I stepped onto that smooth rink ice I couldn’t skate. Fell regularly. When they looked at my skate blades they were shocked - from years of putting on my skates lakeside and walking on dirt to the ice, my blades were rounded like straws. Sent me to the pro shop to get them sharpened. A world of difference but difficult to adjust to at first almost like they were too sharp.

Played club hockey through HS since there was no rink or teams nearby. Finally some men’s leagues in my early 40s. (Scored on my first shift in over 20 years!) After a while the late night ice time was too much and I’ve hung ‘em up for good. Just recently sent all of my jockey stuff to auction.

Love the game. Never skilled enough to make a difference but had fun every time I was on the ice.

...been playing since I was 4 years old.

Started back n 1971 as a street hockey player, and then moved on to play ice hockey when I was about 7. I played in every season through 13 year olds.

I wore my hair too long to play in High school so I played in P.A.L.

After I graduated high school I switched over to Dek Hockey and met this wild guy, RJ...(you may know him ;))

We won so many trophies in Centereach and Power Play (another league), that I ran outta room on my bar mantle. Believe me...it wasn't because of me!! LOL I still have some nerve damage on my left hand from a wicked two-hander I took from one of the Coram Canadiens!

Nowadays I still get a bug in my ass to go to puck shoots....I'm sad to say, the old gray cow ain't what she used to be!!! My slapper can't even break a pane of glass anymore!!! :rofl:

What is DEK hockey? I've seen it mentioned here all kinds, but I dunno what it is?

Oh sorry Dunny....

It's hockey on a surface that's plastic. We played with a hockey ball. A little smaller rink, with a center ice line as offsides for both teams.

It's 5 players and a goalie....same as Ice hockey.

Three 10 minute periods

OT in the playoffs

10 game regular season

Seasons were year 'round (Summer was tough to handle on that black surface though!)

Games were hilarious because you usually knew the guys on the other teams, or played with them before....so there was TONS of shit talk....me especially!! ;)

Let's get some more stories. I know there's guys here that have seen some shit.

In a true MSG 70's moment, I remember a Tuesday night in Mitchell, Ontario. Minor Midget. We were bad. We're getting blown out, and one of our tough guys, small like Domi, but tough and insane, gets a call against him. He skates over to Ref and throws his stick javelin style. Hits ref square in the torso. Lifetime suspension from OMHA.

Fast forward a month, we're out of playoffs, in our last tournament, on our home ice. We end up in a bench clearing brawl against Smith Falls. Total pandemonium. I'm just hugging the other back up goalie, and I spin around too see the lifetime suspension player on the ice, in his street clothes, just wailing on anybody that will give him a chance. This leads to one of their dads jumping on the ice yo beat up this 17 YO, both in street clothes, at Centre Ice. The refs just packed it up and left.

Suspension upgraded to lifetime ban from his home arena. Essentially, perma suspended from beer league, even.

• Like 1

In middle school and High School we'd have one month a year where we'd play floor hockey in gym class. Doing that was the most fun I've ever had in gym class, especially when I actually started becoming a fan of the sport. I know myself and a friend of mine would wear our Rangers jerseys when we played. In High School it was cool because our gym teacher was actually a hockey referee at the Collegiate level. Other than than, it was a few pick up games in the school parking lot on weekends and vacations. Good times.

Sitting on my ass from the age of like 3-4 watching the Rangers with my dad. My dad had season's from late 60s-1991, so I would go to the occasional non-school night game (usually Friday nights) until he gave up his seats in 1991.

As for playing, never until I decided at the age of 33 to take some lessons, played in a couple of leagues in Queens until I turned 35 and had a baby to take care of, and going to the rink at 10 PM wasnt an option (my daughter is now 9).....havent laced up the skates since.

I did participate at the NYR season subscriber hockey game after a Rangers/Bruins game which was a thrill either though I couldnt keep up, I did however propose to my now wife at center ice after the game.

Currently I have my own season tixs for the last 19 years, watch almost every Rangers game on TV, and play NHL on my Ps5.

• Like 2

Sitting on my ass from the age of like 3-4 watching the Rangers with my dad. My dad had season's from late 60s-1991, so I would go to the occasional non-school night game (usually Friday nights) until he gave up his seats in 1991.

As for playing, never until I decided at the age of 33 to take some lessons, played in a couple of leagues in Queens until I turned 35 and had a baby to take care of, and going to the rink at 10 PM wasnt an option (my daughter is now 9).....havent laced up the skates since.

I did participate at the NYR season subscriber hockey game after a Rangers/Bruins game which was a thrill either though I couldnt keep up, I did however propose to my now wife at center ice after the game.

Currently I have my own season tixs for the last 19 years, watch almost every Rangers game on TV, and play NHL on my Ps5.

me too. havent skated since the daughter was born. (she also was just turned 9 last month).

played street hockey in russia when i was young, quit when a guy swung his stick and accidentally hit me straight in the nose. lol. i quit hockey after that. started skating with my son when he learned and then practiced/played with few coaches at aviator in brooklyn. miss it enormously but too old now

me too. havent skated since the daughter was born. (she also was just turned 9 last month).

played street hockey in russia when i was young, quit when a guy swung his stick and accidentally hit me straight in the nose. lol. i quit hockey after that. started skating with my son when he learned and then practiced/played with few coaches at aviator in brooklyn. miss it enormously but too old now

I started taking lessons at Aviator, ended at Flushing Meadows Park. I miss it too, sometimes I wish to break out the equipment and try again.....but I threw it all out last summer.

I started taking lessons at Aviator, ended at Flushing Meadows Park. I miss it too, sometimes I wish to break out the equipment and try again.....but I threw it all out last summer.

i still have mine. probably will never put it on again but just cant bring myself to throwing it all out.

I started playing dek/street/ball hockey (depends where you play it what they call it) at 13. Still playing at 51.

Ozzy I believe we first met playing softball though with the A&P crowd.

Holy shit!!! That's right! I totally forgot about that!!! Those games were a lot of fun!!!!

Nowadays I'm lucky if I can throw a party!!!! :rofl:

Donate your jockstrap to the BSBH museum

Is it going to be displayed behind a magnifying glass or do we need to bring our own?

As for my illustrious hockey career... started playing street hockey and roller hockey when I was like 8 or 9 with friends in Queens growing up. have continued to do so with friends and played in a bunch of random leagues up until about 3 or so years ago. Did not start playing ice hockey until I was 12 or 13- my family still owned a house in Poland and we just happened to not only be in the biggest (or one of the biggest) hockey towns in the whole country (funny enough my dad was friends with a few of the guys who ran the team back in the day- if my family had stayed there my hockey career would have had a better chance :rofl:) but we also lived right across the street from the hockey rink. When I would visit every summer I would get to skate on the rink with some of the guys who would train there. Almost never played ice hockey growing up here in NY as there just aren't a lot of opportunities to do so and if there were they were usually out of my parents price range. Didnt play on a mens ice team until mens league when I was like 19/20 years old. Currently play in the hot shots cop and fireman league now and thats about the only time I ever skate anymore unfortunately besides random skates here and there.

• Like 1