• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Hockey Background

jsm7302

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started playing at 3 years old. Started playing competitive hockey when I was around 7. We had a ton of good pros in the area, so summers were spent in hockey camps coached by local AHL players and random Sabres players. Played super-competitive hockey from about 8-12. Back then, we always went to Canada. Almost every weekend was traveling to Canada, or the Buffalo border, depending on the tournament. Played against almost all AHL/NHL players in the update NY and Toronto-area players within 1-2 years of my age. Stopped playing at that level in high school. Multiple years missing out on spots strictly due to size, and after 2 years, its almost impossible to make up all that extra ice time and development. I was small, incredibly fast, more of a playmaker than a goal scorer, but that might be pushing it, and a pest. Played on some awesome teams with future AHLers and olympians. Playing in tournaments like the CanAm in Lake Placid, Gretzky tournament in Brantford, and State tournaments. Never went to Nationals - blame that A-hole Dustin Brown. (We were up 5-1 heading into the third. At that point, the coach told us to stop shadowing Brown. I had that assignment on my line. By the time we got back out there, they had already scored 3 goals. We ended up tied. In the semis - we lost to this team from Rome. They had a short bench, which allowed this older brother on the ice non-stop. His younger brother was also on the team, wasnt as good, but the kid was fucking enormous. A few years later, I played on the Syracuse Stars summer team with the Sestitos. Brown came, but I dont recall playing in any games with him. The practices had like 30 kids, so its not like we were close.)

Eventually got roped into playing on the club team in college.. that somehow transitioned into a DIII team my sophomore team - which I didnt want. I played, fucked up my shoulder on the strangest play (a defender hit the toe of my stick perpendicular to his blade when getting a loose puck in the offensive zone off a draw. I had the most extreme pain for about 6 seconds until I assume it popped back in place. We ended up getting pinned in our own zone for about a minute that shift with my tingling numb arm. I dont think I missed a shift, as I knew this could be it. To top it off, I lost my shin pad at that rink, but it didnt matter, my shoulder was toast).

After college, I helped out with local youth beginners for a bit. The college rink we played at was in a shitty part of the city, but they had free open skates throughout the week. I ended up over there helping new skaters for a few years, moved up to assisting with youth programs (not specific teams). I stopped that after meeting my wife. Once we moved, I tried reffing - but it was such a hard transition being a vocal player. I actually half less respect for refs after doing this.

Now, I am spending more time at the rinks, not in a specific capacity. I have volunteered to be an assistant youth coach, but this area is flooded with former pros helping out. McArthur, Gage, Methot, Gionta, Callahan is the head of a local prep school's team, etc.

• Like 2

Grew up loving all sports. No money or resources for hockey. We played everything, including street hockey.

I fell in love with the game. Not being the most talented guy, I liked how it rewarded hard work, vision, teamwork..anticipation.

At 55 after raising 6 kids I started doing some things for me. I’m 1.5 years into lessons and what they call open shoot or stick and puck. My hockey goal is the C league.

I feel like nobody loves it more. I never want to go home when I’m playing. I still can’t believe how encouraging everyone I meet is.

Grew up on a block where like every other house had kids all within a few years of each other. Older/younger siblings as well, but there was a group of us — probably a solid dozen or more — who played together most days. Backyard football, baseball at the park, riding bikes, skateboarding, etc. One of the families was big into hockey and started playign street hockey. We all joined in. Taught myself to skate around 10 or so, and we played every summer. That bridged perfectly to middle school when I joined their dek league, which bridged to playing ice hockey in high school. Kept it up for a few more years going into college playing rec/pickup. Lots of roller games off Houston St. I even skated with Tim Robbins one time.

Fast forward to near 40 with two kids and the best I can hope for is an hour or two on weekends playing with a few other dads in the area who still have skates.

I'd rather all of us get together to watch a game one night.

I'm 54 now, and if I bought my body at Macy's I wouldda saved the receipt!!! :rofl:

I'd certainly play if that was the option but I'd most likely be the "Nate Scarborough" of the team!! LOL

I'd rather all of us get together to watch a game one night.

I'm 54 now, and if I bought my body at Macy's I wouldda saved the receipt!!! :rofl:

I'd certainly play if that was the option but I'd most likely be the "Nate Scarborough" of the team!! LOL

"I'll play coach!" :rofl:

You know what Phil....sometime this fall...before the shitty weather kicks in, we should all get together at a somewhat central location to watch a game with the gang!

Josh and Pete have to show...without a doubt!!

...maybe even Uncle Larry's burner account will show!!! ;)

You know what Phil....sometime this fall...before the shitty weather kicks in, we should all get together at a somewhat central location to watch a game with the gang!

Josh and Pete have to show...without a doubt!!

...maybe even Uncle Larry's burner account will show!!! ;)

Josh lives in like Albany or something. That's why he's like that.
  • Like 1

I'm still pissed Foley's is gone. Imagine the night we could have after this fuckin' pandemic, and we invite Ozzy?

giphy.gif

I'm sure we can find a divey hockey bar to replace it that makes sense.

Shit, hopefully we can get one in when I'm in town.

Most of the people who played that game can no longer step into the ice due to oldness.

Phil we need to get some young guys on this forum. Time to run a monster drink and vape pen promotion or whatever the youngins are into these days. Get BSBH on TikTok.

I'm still pissed Foley's is gone. Imagine the night we could have after this fuckin' pandemic, and we invite Ozzy?

I'm in, Chief!!!

I have 2 answers for when we have the meet up for a game...YES and SURE!! Just say when!