• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Hockey Background

jsm7302

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in late and out early. Started with roller around 8 and ice not too long after. I wasn't the greatest ice skater and never quite developed much there. Picked up goalie soon after and that's where I was most comfortable. I was small and my positioning was mediocre. As much as I wanted to beat in the fundamentals, I effectively played like a shittier Tim Thomas or Jonathan Quick where I pretty much just threw my legs around and hoped shit would hit me. Stopped playing during early high school for a number of reasons but mostly to focus on other extracurriculars. I haven't played in years and have barely skated. I get urges and I miss it, but I'd get absolutely destroyed if I tried now. I could hang in a roller league. I'd strap on the goalie pads again but I'm small for goalie and nowhere near as flexible as I used to be. My hip already tightens up if I try anything too fancy.

I'm sure we can find a divey hockey bar to replace it that makes sense.

Shit, hopefully we can get one in when I'm in town.

Last time we did this, and you chose, you picked a bar that made 80% of the participants have to fuckin' hoof it to catch trains like twenty blocks away.

I went to sign up for ice hickey in about 4th or 5th grade. Closest rink to our house at the time was Mennen and it was about 45 min away. Add in that my practice time would have been 5 am on Saturdays and my dad made the executive decision that I could stick to basketball in the winter. I was stuck roller blading around the driveway shooting tennis balls at the garage. Played intermural roller hockey in college. About 7 years ago at 29 I decided I wanted to play in our annual Cops v. Firefighters charity game so, having only ice skated like 4 times in my whole life up to that point, I found a rec league to join and have been playing ever since.

Hey hey we're a real town now

anyone got a frozen lake somewhere?

I wouldn't call Lake Ronkonkoma a "lake"....it's more like a frozen cesspool!!! :rofl:

....but damn!! I played a lotta hockey on that fucker!!!

Hey hey we're a real town now

anyone got a frozen lake somewhere?

Give it about another month or so then the ‘real’ upstate starts turning cooler at night.

Farg! I’ve seen snow outside of Plattsburgh or Lowville that’s higher than your car’s rooftop - and that is in spring when us downstaters have already cut our lawns 2-3 times.

I went to sign up for ice hickey in about 4th or 5th grade. Closest rink to our house at the time was Mennen and it was about 45 min away. Add in that my practice time would have been 5 am on Saturdays and my dad made the executive decision that I could stick to basketball in the winter. I was stuck roller blading around the driveway shooting tennis balls at the garage. Played intermural roller hockey in college. About 7 years ago at 29 I decided I wanted to play in our annual Cops v. Firefighters charity game so, having only ice skated like 4 times in my whole life up to that point, I found a rec league to join and have been playing ever since.

i thought you were from europe and played semi-professional? or am i mistaken you for another poster?

Havent been out to the lake itself in years. I was told it was cleaned it but guess not?

Nah...It's better, Nashty...still not exactly a mountain spring.

I think there's a few fish with like six eyes swimming in there, but other than that it might need another flush! ;)

Nah...It's better, Nashty...still not exactly a mountain spring.

I think there's a few fish with like six eyes swimming in there, but other than that it might need another flush! ;)

[emoji1787][emoji1787]

We looked at a house that was right by the lake a few months ago and actually liked the area a bit. Guess no swimming in the lake though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[emoji1787][emoji1787]

We looked at a house that was right by the lake a few months ago and actually liked the area a bit. Guess no swimming in the lake though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The area is great, Nashty!!! The neighborhoods over there are loaded with good folks. The Lake's actually in the best shape I've seen it in years...I just couldn't pass up the chance to make a funny ;)

I’d make the trip from Albany* if we made a weekend of it and catch a Rangers game or two. And I crash at Pete’s house.

I"d crash at Pete's house too

We're all crashing at Pete's house!!! I thought that was a given!! :rofl:

I'll bring the beer!!!! :cheers: