• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft [LW] Brennan Othmann in 1st Round (16th Pick)

Phil

Posted this in the GDT but here's the scouting reports I found:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/529248/brennan-othmann

Othmann loves nothing more than to collect the puck on the breakout, lead the charge into the offensive zone, and turn the corner on opposing defenders. He always attacks at full speed, playing a high-pace style, and pressuring with that same level of intensity. He pressures on the forecheck, plays the body, and takes good routes to cut off the opposition’s attempts at a breakout. -EliteProspects 2021 NHL Draft Guide

A high pace attacker with a precise quick-release wrister and diverse rush patterns that fool even formidable defenders, EPRinkside.com 2021

An advanced puck protector, cutting off defenders recovery routes before working play to the inside, EPRinkside.com 2021

His hard shot and excellent release to get it off at his top speed is what separates him from others, Hockeyprospect.com 2019

16. New York Rangers -- Brennan Othmann, LW, Flint (OHL)

NHL Central Scouting: No. 8 (North American skaters)

With the Ontario Hockey League not playing this season due to concerns surrounding the coronavirus, Othmann (6-0, 175) played on loan with Olten in the Swiss League, the second-highest professional league in Switzerland. The 18-year-old scored 16 points (seven goals, nine assists) in 34 games playing with and against experienced professionals, showing a willingness to block shots and make the game tough on opponents. He scored six points (three goals, three assists) in seven games to help Canada win the 2021 IIHF Under-18 World Championship. Othmann scored one goal and had seven shots on goal in a 5-3 win against Russia in the championship game.

NHL.com analysis: Othmann's skill and skating impressed during his play in Switzerland, and he carried that into strong play at the U-18 World Championship. The Rangers have a number of talented young forwards, topped by Alexis Lafreniere, the No. 1 pick of the 2020 NHL Draft, and Othmann's hard-nosed play and strong forechecking would give them more open ice to work with.

Link: https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-draft-round-1-picks-analysis-coverage/c-325756734?tid=277764372

I just got told on Twitter that JFresh ranks Othmann at #152, and he’s more trusted than Bob McKenzie. Pack it up folks, this pick is shit. We’re all wrong. Nothing to see here!

maybe the next Todd "heartbeat " Harvey

He was ranked in the late teens an early 20's pretty much everywhere. Othmann is a lazy moron. He generally is clueless. This like Cuylee is another player which this pansy team has been lacking for a long time. No more soft euro's. Or soft college players who don't hit. They don't win playoff games. Not to mention our players are easily the worst in the entire league at getting the puck through to the net. Hitting the net. Shooting the puck. Getting open for shots in tight areas. Essentially the Rangers entire game plan is to make 3 or 4 east-west passes and try to shoot it into an open net. We now have two power forwards in the system with excellent shots and hands. I'm trying to figure out when the last time that happened. Maybe never. The euro-pansy days of the Rangers are over. Better get used to it.

Someone get me to stop looking at analytics lol

What about the players picked after him? This is also the poorest scouted draft in a while, data could be incomplete.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just understand it's a person who has never seen the player play, trying to use a months worth of data on a 17 YO to drive a profound conclusion. It's entirely based on wonky data, compiled, and then illustrated as some weird "Star Predictor".

Here's what I know, also based on never seeing him play: He was a key part of Team Canada U-17, and will be a strong contender to make the WJC team. That means, no matter what the numbers say, he's able to carve a valuable role out on the most elite team on the planet for his age. I think that's a positive.

He could, also, obviously, flame out at the ECHL level.