• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft [LW] Brennan Othmann in 1st Round (16th Pick)

Phil

Just understand it's a person who has never seen the player play, trying to use a months worth of data on a 17 YO to drive a profound conclusion. It's entirely based on wonky data, compiled, and then illustrated as some weird "Star Predictor".

Here's what I know, also based on never seeing him play: He was a key part of Team Canada U-17, and will be a strong contender to make the WJC team. That means, no matter what the numbers say, he's able to carve a valuable role out on the most elite team on the planet for his age. I think that's a positive.

He could, also, obviously, flame out at the ECHL level.

I think you combine the U-17, the WJC, the fact that a Swiss team used a foreign player spot on him and all that with the clear intelligence and work ethic this guy has and you have yourself a player.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hockey Canada didn't even invite Othmann to camp for WJC. There's some other notable omissions, as well. As per usual, they are smarter than everybody. I can't stand their personnel decisions, and they backfire as often as not, and there's always politics at play.

Cuylle was invited, though, but my guess is that he's cut, who knows.

31 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Is what Othmans doing that impressive for someone his age in the O? I've always had a difficult time gauging what good production is there as an 18 yearold

No. But he's also got more goals and 1 less point (in 2 less games) than Shane Wright.

It's status quo. Not great, not bad. He played in the men's Swiss league (??) last year, now back to playing with kids. You'd want more but settle for small progress and not sucking 

• Like 1
  • TroCheckmark 1

3 minutes ago, G1000 said:

I think what you look for in a D+1 season for the average 1st round draft pick would be signs of dominating the league he's in. Othmann's at 1.57 ppg, which...I think that qualifies.

He's probably right on track here.

No one on the team is remotely close to him statistically. He’s a one man team.

4 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Because his birthday is January 5th, that means the 2022-23 season he'll either be an NHLer or back to the OHL, correct? AHL eligibility for 19 year-olds is still only if their 20th birthday is at or before December 31st?

Right. Though, it has to do with OHL/CHL commitment and less so AHL regulation. You can be under 20 in the AHL.

35 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Right. Though, it has to do with OHL/CHL commitment and less so AHL regulation. You can be under 20 in the AHL.

Ah I got it, makes sense. Also explains why players drafted from any other league can play in the AHL at 19, like NCAA or Europe. Didn't realize it was a CHL thing, but that's the more logical explanation.

Edited by Cash or Czech

• 1 month later...