• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jimmy Hayes, Brother of Kevin, Passes Away at 31

Phil

I have trouble watching others grieving. It gets to me. That is a really nice story.

I've recently been appointed a Resiliency Officer at work and the training really helps focus on the positive aspects of life and just letting go of negativity. Life is short, gotta appreciate the beauty and positive relationships, experiences and blessings.

It’s weird. We see athletes on tv and forget at times that they are humans. Some flawed, some troubled, some awesome people. In the hockey world we mostly are greeted with just canned player expressions regurgitated for decades. When we see tragedies, it reminds us that they really are closer to who we are than we realize.

Sad for the Hayes family.

• Like 1

Exactly. Life can be heavy and while we don't know yet what happened here I'm pretty sure there's plenty of pro athletes walking that line of struggling whether or not they want to wake up another day. Money, kids etc. it doesn't always add up to be enough to battle through it. The demons are too real for many. Luckily for most people they will never understand how that can possibly be true.

I can't imagine a world where everything that has been your central focus in life is suddenly over when you are 29. Now what? No wonder many of them have problems thereafter, especially those who have taken too many blows to the head or have other painful residual injuries.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope. Initial autopsy was unable to determine a cause of death.

This is from three weeks ago:

The cause of Jimmy Hayes’ death remained unclear even after an autopsy of the former NHL player, a spokesman for the Massachusetts medical examiner’s office told The Post on Wednesday.

Toxicology testing is underway to help determine the cause of death, though the results could take up to several weeks, the spokesman said.

https://nypost.com/2021/08/25/jimmy-hayes-cause-of-death-still-unclear-after-autopsy/

• 1 month later...

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/10/17/sports/fentanyl-contributed-jimmy-hayess-death-his-family-hopes-telling-his-story-can-help-prevent-another/

Former Bruins winger and Dorchester native Jimmy Hayes, who was found dead in his Milton home Aug. 23, died with fentanyl and cocaine in his system, his wife and father revealed Sunday.

“I was completely shocked,’’ said Kristen. “I was so certain that it had nothing to do with drugs...He never showed any signs of a struggle at home.’’

Sad read. Dad talks about his struggles.

This story is all too similar to all OD stories. Sadly.