• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers' Development Camp Roster Announced

Phil

I thought Cuylle might be a darkhorse to make the Rangers before the prospect camp started. I think that's even more likely now. 3 goals in two games. Big boy who goes to the dirty areas. Even if he's not on the roster to start the season, I could see him getting a cup of coffee this year. Seems like right now Barron, Cuylle, and Paju are basically the 5th line.

48 minutes ago, ThirtyONE said:

I thought Cuylle might be a darkhorse to make the Rangers before the prospect camp started. I think that's even more likely now. 3 goals in two games. Big boy who goes to the dirty areas. Even if he's not on the roster to start the season, I could see him getting a cup of coffee this year. Seems like right now Barron, Cuylle, and Paju are basically the 5th line.

I think we need to - likely, anyway - check our expectations on Cuylle. He's CLEARLY grown a lot since we've last really had a chance to see him, but he's also both just 19 and ineligible for the AHL. For him, it's NHL or OHL, which likely makes all of this worse: he's better than OHL-caliber right now by quite a bit. He's going to dominate that league, which will of course spiral expectations even further.

He's a 60th overall pick. Good value there is "plays NHL games" - if he ends up being a third line wing for us, that's massive! And a good thing! But for now - yeah, he's a dark horse, but he's probably a year or two off.

25 minutes ago, G1000 said:

I think we need to - likely, anyway - check our expectations on Cuylle. He's CLEARLY grown a lot since we've last really had a chance to see him, but he's also both just 19 and ineligible for the AHL. For him, it's NHL or OHL, which likely makes all of this worse: he's better than OHL-caliber right now by quite a bit. He's going to dominate that league, which will of course spiral expectations even further.

He's a 60th overall pick. Good value there is "plays NHL games" - if he ends up being a third line wing for us, that's massive! And a good thing! But for now - yeah, he's a dark horse, but he's probably a year or two off.

I don't think he's NHL ready. He still has a ton of room to grow his game to be a true complete player soon. 

But he needs to be playing against men. 

2 hours ago, josh said:

I don't think he's NHL ready. He still has a ton of room to grow his game to be a true complete player soon. 

But he needs to be playing against men. 

Agreed. Big test is "can you do this against men, not kids?"

Need at least one full AHL season to really be comfortable there.

3 hours ago, ThirtyONE said:

No, if he doesn't make the team out of camp (and he's not likely to), he's going back to the OHLfor the year. They're not going to call him up over guys in the AHL.

11 minutes ago, Phil said:

No, if he doesn't make the team out of camp (and he's not likely to), he's going back to the OHLfor the year. They're not going to call him up over guys in the AHL.

You're right. I was confused by his time in Hartford last year. I assumed he'd be going back to HFD.

9 hours ago, Long live the King said:

Story from ^ tweet...

Six prospects who boosted their stock at New York Rangers' development camp

Barron

Cuylle

Jones

Lundkvist

Pajuniemi

Robertson

Good list.

Based on the scrimmages, I might not have Lundkvist on the list. Probably unrealistic expectations. 

I'd list Henriksson up there. He's fallen off a bit but was the most reliable, consistent forward. While Pajuniemi, Barron and Cuylle flashed some offensive game, defensively they showed their youth. Karl was solid throughout. Doing those little things you need to see from an nhler, especially bottom 6 where there would be an opening. That said, henriksson can still take another season to develop overseas.