• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Many Saints of Newark

Phil

• Phil changed the title to The Many Saints of Newark
  • 3 weeks later...

Liked it. Didnt try to do too much.  Temptation must have been to make it very tied to the characters. It certainty brought them to the fore, but it is it's own story. 

Liotta is very good, especially the last hour.

Didn't get through the whole thing without falling asleep. Seems basically a visual story stitched together from anecdotes we've heard throughout the series.

There's no discernible plot, just a "This is what they were like when they were younger" kinda vibe.

I'll try to finish it tonight, but so far it's a C+.

Edited by Pete

Harold wasn't in the original show. And really while there's a conflict between him and Dickie, he has nothing to do with how it gets... resolved. 

Tony is traumatized because Uncle Dickie won't buy him a case of Rolling Rock some rando Friday night? 

Edited by Bugg

Takes a very dim view of the sexual mores of Italian immigrant ladies. 

Again, Tony gets so mad at Dickie for not buying him beer, he destroys a kick ass set of speakers. Didn't he have decent fake ID? It was the 1970s. Stand out in front of Quickie Mart and some 18 year old HS senior will buy you a few MHL 40 Oz. bottles for a modest fee above cost. 

Relatively positive because compared to so much else on TV it's still better than most of that. 

Edited by Bugg

11 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Again, Tony gets so mad at Dickie for not buying him beer, he destroys a kick ass set of speakers. Didn't he have decent fake ID? It was the 1970s. Stand out in front of Quickie Mart and some 18 year old HS senior will buy you a few MHL 40 Oz. bottles for a modest fee above cost. 

That was a tipping point. Tony lost the only person he respected. 

That said I struggle to see why we needed this movie, why Chris narrated, where was Jackie Aprile? 

Again all this did was bring to life anecdotes from the series. I don't know more about any of them than I did before. 

1 minute ago, Pete said:

That was a tipping point. Tony lost the only person he respected. 

That said I struggle to see why we needed this movie, why Chris narrated, where was Jackie Aprile? 

Again all this did was bring to life anecdotes from the series. I don't know more about any of them than I did before. 

Didn't really distinguish among the few kids his age who was Jackie, Artie or his cousin Tony. Which they did do with every other character. 

I just finished it. I liked it overall. The plot was very loose but I think it worked well in the sense that the movie was about Dickie Moltisanti and a precursor of how things came to be. I thought Vera Farmiga did a good job as Liv, but Jon Berenthal wasn't as lively as I was expecting Johnny Soprano to be. Given the way it was put together by a bunch of vignettes, I think it would have been better served to cover more than just the brief glimpse into Tony's hero. Given the talents of Farmiga and Berenthal, and the guy who played Junior, I feel like we could have used more of them.

That said, the introduction of Harold makes me think Chase is going to be toying with the idea of a prequel series, following simultaneously his track, but also how Tony, Paulie, Pussy, and Sil came to be together. The movie felt like a taste of something that's yet to come.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, High and Wide said:

I just finished it. I liked it overall. The plot was very loose but I think it worked well in the sense that the movie was about Dickie Moltisanti and a precursor of how things came to be. I thought Vera Farmiga did a good job as Liv, but Jon Berenthal wasn't as lively as I was expecting Johnny Soprano to be. Given the way it was put together by a bunch of vignettes, I think it would have been better served to cover more than just the brief glimpse into Tony's hero. Given the talents of Farmiga and Berenthal, and the guy who played Junior, I feel like we could have used more of them.

That said, the introduction of Harold makes me think Chase is going to be toying with the idea of a prequel series, following simultaneously his track, but also how Tony, Paulie, Pussy, and Sil came to be together. The movie felt like a taste of something that's yet to come.

Oh he totally wants to do a sequel movie.

That said, I take back what I said about not learning anything new. Totally shocker was that 

Spoiler

Junior had Dickie clipped.

4 hours ago, High and Wide said:

HBO announced last week they have given Chase a 5 year developmental deal, so there's almost no doubt. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pete said:

Oh he totally wants to do a sequel movie.

That said, I take back what I said about not learning anything new. Totally shocker was that 

Hide contents

Junior had Dickie clipped.

That would be phenomenal. Though there is enough set-up for a miniseries at least.

And

Spoiler

I kinda knew when he got slighted at the funeral, but it still stung seeing the confirmation after.

Ok I finished it last night.  I liked it.  I was a huge fan of the show back in the day.  I don't think the movie was on the same level as the show but I did enjoy it nonetheless.  I watched it religiously so my lack of memory regarding certain characters was really annoying me while watching.  Its been quite a long time since I saw the show so I was constantly trying to remember which characters were in the show.  Sil, Pauly, and Junior were perfect younger recreations of the originals.  Phenomenal job there.  I remember Tony's mom being an annoying nutcase but the overall character didn't stick with me long term like a lot of the others aside from that so I can't comment on Formiga's portrayal.  I'm having a hard time remembering Johnny Soprano in the original show.  I wish I watched at least some of the show before watching the movie.  Oh well.

edit - I thought Tony's guidance councilor gave off huge Dr Melfi vibes too

Edited by SaveByRichter35

On 10/7/2021 at 9:46 PM, NYR2711 said:

This was such a bad movie. Outside of the characters, this had nothing to do with the Sopranos. I thought this would go into how Tony got made, the story line didn’t even need him in it. This was worse than the ending of the Sopranos show.

After watching a second time I agree.  I think my first viewing was tainted by finally getting the Sopranos movie that we always wanted.  After sitting through it in one sitting all while not struggling to stay awake it was quite disappointing.  Like others said, it will most likely be the stepping stone to another series that will accomplish what you said is missing.  And it probably still won't be as good as The Sopranos.