• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Gallant, Drury Expected To Name Captain This Season

Phil

17 hours ago, ThirtyONE said:

I disagree. I think you need players like Trouba. You can use more than one and it remains to be seen if anyone in the pipeline is actually better than him. Kreider's replacement was drafted last summer and is already in the lineup.

Yes, you need players that bring what Trouba brings, but this is a money issue.  Its not straight up Trouba > Schneider.  It's Schneider @ $925k, + the ability to resign Fox, Laf, Kakko, etc > Trouba @ $8m.

• Like 3

On 9/14/2021 at 2:27 PM, Phil said:

LMAO, wat?

ed67b5f14ccf97eeb1123a9dfc6e.jpg

937887802-850x560.jpeg

ray-bourque-bruins-captain.jpg

mrgDCvrWXc_DchfNzKDtDmxVFOtnpGNvPQ6LpfAo

2505b1cfabf40582a6b585c0f4de02c0.jpg

?m=02&d=20080422&t=2&i=3979610&w=&fh=545

cut.jpg

ngcb53

"I think I'm more effective in hockey," Panarin said. "And I'm afraid that I won't be an effective captain. I even don't speak English. How can I motivate? I can only influence with my own game. And they will listen to me without any letters."--Panarin

even Panarin says one cant be a quiet captain

2 hours ago, siddious said:

Yea I think it was more a case of this team desperately lacking what trouba brings (in this case experience, and some toughness) more so than this team really missing trouba himself. Everyone knows I’m not a fan of trouba and he’s only a good choice for captain if it means he’s getting traded soon. 

or Trouba was such a good leader that when he went down, the team lost its leadership and direction?  idk, just making shit up

4 minutes ago, CCCP said:

"I think I'm more effective in hockey," Panarin said. "And I'm afraid that I won't be an effective captain. I even don't speak English. How can I motivate? I can only influence with my own game. And they will listen to me without any letters."--Panarin

even Panarin says one cant be a quiet captain

That's not what he said. He said he doesn't speak English well enough to motivate. His worry is about not being able to communicating effectively, not based in being able to yell loudly enough.

I know that. But that's not what you were insinuating when you responded to the Panarin quote. You literally said "even Panarin said you can't be a quiet captain," which isn't what he was talking about. He was talking about not being an effective one because he can't communicate well due to a language barrier. You took it a step further to suggest that the only effective way to communicate is to be "vocal."

I shared the list before, but some of the most decorated players in history cut against that suggestion, including Yzerman, Sakic, Bourque, and more. Messier's screaming style is only one style.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

I know that. But that's not what you were insinuating when you responded to the Panarin quote. You literally said "even Panarin said you can't be a quiet captain," which isn't what he was talking about. He was talking about not being an effective one because he can't communicate well due to a language barrier. You took it a step further to suggest that the only effective way to communicate is to be "vocal."

I shared the list before, but some of the most decorated players in history cut against that suggestion, including Yzerman, Sakic, Bourque, and more. Messier's screaming style is only one style.

no, i quoted Panarin to re-iterate my point made few days ago that captains can not be quiet.  Panarin said that he cant speak english, therefore he cant be an effective captain becuase you have to be able to communicate (be vocal) with the team.  i dont get what's so complicated.

and unless you're in the lockerroom you dont know how vocal Yzerman, Sakic, and Bourque were as captains.  Just because none of them predicted a playoff win to the papers, doesnt mean they were quiet.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Absolutely G!  ...definitely not saying he's a bad player...I just feel like we're going to get what Trouba brings, and possibly more from the up and coming young guys....and for a lot less, where we're able to keep Fox, Panarin, and the big ticket players longer....not to mention Mika and Strome, who are going to tap the bank account a bit after this season.

As far as a captain though, and for continuity purposes, that's why I like Fox there.  He should be a Ranger for life in my eyes!!

9 hours ago, G1000 said:

Still going to stand on the "Trouba isn't bad, his contract is" pedestal here. Unfortunately - it's a business, and yeah, he's going to end up on another team before his contract ends.

Unfortunately we live in a world where you need to judge the player on the contract through the same lens.

side topic:

people throw it around from time to time but I wonder how realistic it is for the C to be even brought up in contract negotiations. 

hearing this a little with Fox and Mika now. it was a rumor during Kreider’s drama a while back. does anyone realistically think this happens? like in the same vein as a home town discount? just seems like it really shouldn’t be a bargaining chip in the compensation process. 

18 minutes ago, shestYORKin said:

side topic:

people throw it around from time to time but I wonder how realistic it is for the C to be even brought up in contract negotiations. 

hearing this a little with Fox and Mika now. it was a rumor during Kreider’s drama a while back. does anyone realistically think this happens? like in the same vein as a home town discount? just seems like it really shouldn’t be a bargaining chip in the compensation process. 

It's certainly possible. There's talk it's involved with Tkachuk and Ottawa, too.

Still, after three-plus seasons going with an amalgamation of alternates, the belief is the Rangers will benefit from having a captain as their point-person. Jacob Trouba is believed the leader in the clubhouse.

“Some of the players I think talked about it last year, saying they’d like a captain,” Gallant said, perhaps referring to comments in exit meetings. “To me it’s not a big, big deal but I know it’s important in a market like this and the discussions we’ve had, we think are going to lead to a captain.”

https://nypost.com/2021/09/22/rangers-expected-to-name-captain-as-front-runner-emerges/

4 hours ago, Phil said:

I think it's only a big deal because the market has kinda made it a big deal and all the other guys probably have to answer questions about the C regularly.  If they name one, those other guys don't get asked those questions anymore and some of that responsibility (for lack of a better word) is now off their shoulders.

• 2 weeks later...