• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Gallant, Drury Expected To Name Captain This Season

Phil

11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nah, I'm not gonna be pissed, but I think it's a waste to make Kreider the captain.  I think there are far better choices than him.  Especially when he goes on his mid season disappearing journeys, we'll need someone to grab the bull by the balls.

Least risk giving him the "C" in the sense that if it ends up being a burden and affecting a player's performance, I'd rather it be Kreider than some of the other names being thrown around in this thread.

9 hours ago, Pete said:

If he was going to be Captain, he'd have been Captain by now in my opinion.

He's also not Strome, so therefore a bad choice.

Eh, not necessarily. Different management/coaching in place now might view his suitability of being a captain a lot differently than Gorton/Quinn did.

3 hours ago, Karan said:

Eh, not necessarily. Different management/coaching in place now might view his suitability of being a captain a lot differently than Gorton/Quinn did.

Drury was here. I'm sure he was part of that convo. 

What could Gallant possibly learn about Krieder in a few weeks to make him say CK was some hidden gem?

That said, we saw more passion from CK last night than the previous 6-7 years. 

5 hours ago, Pete said:

Drury was here. I'm sure he was part of that convo. 

What could Gallant possibly learn about Krieder in a few weeks to make him say CK was some hidden gem?

That said, we saw more passion from CK last night than the previous 6-7 years. 

Possibly, but I'm sure JD/Gorton's voice on that subject was a lot more final and for whatever reason he didn't fit their bill.

What could Gallant possibly learn about Kreider in a few weeks to determine if he's captain material? About the same as what he'll learn about any other player on the roster. But this new management seems firmly set on naming someone captain going into this season, and Kreider could be as good a candidate as any in their eyes. I guess we'll soon find out...

46 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Kreider speaking out and everything is great, but how about cutting down on the disappearing acts during the season? If he's vocal and willing to get physical for these guys, then great, but I'd also like to see more consistently from him out of this as well.

+100

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

The way Kreider answered interview questions the other week and the way he played last night made me feel like Gallant said, "We need a captain, it is open to any of you, show me what you got."

Kreider has been been here for a decade or so. He shouldn't have needed Gallant to say crap. It just cant be him. 

Plus, as others have said, I odnt want my captain taking weeks off coasting line he does several times per year. On paper he makes the most sense. Then you watch him over a year and see how it makes sense that he never was made captain. Last night was a show. If he wanted to pummel PK he should have. Not grab the guy and square dance with him. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 3

47 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Kreider has been been here for a decade or so. He shouldn't have needed Gallant to say crap. It just cant be him. 

Plus, as others have said, I odnt want my captain taking weeks off coasting line he does several times per year. On paper he makes the most sense. Then you watch him over a year and see how it makes sense that he never was made captain. Last night was a show. If he wanted to pummel PK he should have. Not grab the guy and square dance with him. 

On the flip side, I watched Kreider last night, thinking they were already down a forward, and now he's going to be gone most of the game taking stupid penalties. He got lucky Subban got called throughout the game.

But, I agree with you - if you are going to do something, do it.

4 minutes ago, josh said:

On the flip side, I watched Kreider last night, thinking they were already down a forward, and now he's going to be gone most of the game taking stupid penalties. He got lucky Subban got called throughout the game.

But, I agree with you - if you are going to do something, do it.

subban went after him in the second round and wrestled him down.  

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

Kreider speaking out and everything is great, but how about cutting down on the disappearing acts during the season? If he's vocal and willing to get physical for these guys, then great, but I'd also like to see more consistently from him out of this as well.

The guy is 30 now and if he was going to become a more consistent player, I feel like that would've materialized in the last few years. This is the Chris Kreider formula we're stuck with, for better or worse, going forward. But let's see if this other leadership dimension that we as fans don't really get to see, materializes into something that he can actually contribute to the team. 

1 hour ago, Karan said:

The guy is 30 now and if he was going to become a more consistent player, I feel like that would've materialized in the last few years. This is the Chris Kreider formula we're stuck with, for better or worse, going forward. But let's see if this other leadership dimension that we as fans don't really get to see, materializes into something that he can actually contribute to the team. 

I don't mind the scoring droughts if he's doing what he did last night. Too frequently he's completely out of the picture.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1