• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Pronman Names Nils Lundkvist Rangers' Most Interesting Prospect To Watch In Camp

Phil

New York Rangers: Nils Lundkvist, RHD, Lulea-SHL

Lundkvist has been excellent in the SHL and Rangers fans have been awaiting his landing in North America. The Rangers have two excellent right-shot defense prospects in Lundkvist and Braden Schneider, to go with Adam Fox and Jacob Trouba already with the big club. In the short term, there might be a spot for Lundkvist, but he and Schneider will need to be so good that they force the coach to play them on the off side. That picture should become a bit clearer once camp wraps up.

https://theathletic.com/2808727/2021/09/14/pronman-most-interesting-nhl-prospect-to-watch-in-training-camp-for-every-team/

Lundkvist definitely has a spot that’s his to lose. The second PP unit could certainly use him, though it’d benefit the most from both him and Jones together, as Lundkvist is more of a trigger than playmaker. 

The actual fight in camp is going to be for the fourth line. Barron and Richards with some outsiders like Gettinger and Cuylle. Someone is likely to rotate with Reaves and I doubt it’ll be Gauthier given he offers little in the way of defense.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Phil said:

There are definitely others, but it's pretty clear Lundkvist is the guy to watch given how easy it should be for him to make that third pairing. They've done everything they can to clear the path for him, including signing Nemeth.

I forgot they even got Nemeth. Besides Morgan Barron he may be the only rookie on this tea next year which is pretty remarkable considering how many they've had over the last few seasons too. 

12 hours ago, Pete said:

I wonder if they just go with Fox and Lundkvist on PP1 and Trouba Miller on PP2.

I think that would be sick!  Especially if Lundqvist is an accurate trigger man....with Kreider in front, it could be a pretty potent power play.  I'd also like to see MIller pull the trigger a lot more this season, Pete.  He's got a heck of a shot, and needs to use it more.

I like the idea of having 2 defenseman though.  That 4 forwards format seems to invite shorthanded chances at times.

I'm sure Gallant is going to have his own input on PP setup though, and I'll bet there's some experimentation that should go with it.

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I like the idea of having 2 defenseman though.  That 4 forwards format seems to invite shorthanded chances at times.

I'm sure Gallant is going to have his own input on PP setup though, and I'll bet there's some experimentation that should go with it.

If Gallant can get them to be more dynamic than just trying to get that pass across to bread the PP he should have his contract extended immediately. 

• Applause 1

25 minutes ago, siddious said:

If Gallant can get them to be more dynamic than just trying to get that pass across to bread the PP he should have his contract extended immediately. 

Gallant used to play with Stevie Y in Detroit, and I think we'll be in good hands with Gallant running the show, Nashty!  They had some pretty good defenseman in their arsenal back in the mid 90's too....Lidstrom, Coffey, Chaisson, and Mark Howe and McCrimmon were in the mix for a couple of years too I think.

Coffey was just amazing on the PP. 

59 minutes ago, Pete said:

No, they did play the same spot. Doesn't mean they will, or they have to.

Yeah, I could see Bread take Strome's spot, Mika in the middle and Lundkvist on the left.

The question is basically - will they continue with Strome on the PP as it has been working well for a couple years or if they go for some of the younger guys to take the last spot (Lundkvist, Lafreniere, Kravtsov, Kakko). Fox, Panarin, Mika is a lock and Kreider's spot as the net front is also safe for now (I can see a time in the future where Kakko or Krav takes that spot).

Personally I would go:

Kreids

Panarin Mika Laf

Fox

Krav

Lundkvist Kakko Strome

Jones/Troubs/Miller

2 hours ago, josh said:

Lafreniere prefers playing the left side on the PP as the distributor

And we know that based on ... Nothing other than reels which don't really determine what he prefers.

Unless you're watching a full game, you don't really get a sense of any of that, and he hasn't played on the power play enough at the NHL level to get a sense of not only what he prefers, but what he's actually good at.