• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Pronman Names Nils Lundkvist Rangers' Most Interesting Prospect To Watch In Camp

Phil

57 minutes ago, Pete said:

And we know that based on ... Nothing other than reels which don't really determine what he prefers.

Unless you're watching a full game, you don't really get a sense of any of that, and he hasn't played on the power play enough at the NHL level to get a sense of not only what he prefers, but what he's actually good at.

Based on his life.

like, anything ever before David Quinn.  

Years and year and years of play.

12 minutes ago, josh said:

Based on his life.

like, anything ever before David Quinn.  

Years and year and years of play.

Which you followed along with based on YouTube highlights... Which you've only watched since you knew we would be able to draft him.

7 minutes ago, josh said:

Vs watching his non existent pp time under a now fired coach

Yup. 

5 minutes ago, josh said:

Let's see, what's worked for him his entire career vs what didn't work for him last season

This isn't hard. 

You haven't watched him his entire career. You're not the world's foremost authority on Alexis LaFreniere.

25 minutes ago, Pete said:

You haven't watched him his entire career. You're not the world's foremost authority on Alexis LaFreniere.

My suggestion, based on all the evidence I have seen, is that he had been the most successful playing the distributor role from the left side. 

15 minutes ago, josh said:

My suggestion, based on all the evidence I have seen, is that he had been the most successful playing the distributor role from the left side. 

That's fair. But the fact of the matter is he's had limited success at the NHL level, and while it's easy to blame Quinn, it's also very apparent that what made him successful at lower levels might not make him successful at the NHL level.

3 hours ago, josh said:

He played with some pretty good players during the wjc.

Gotta put kids in a place to be successful.

He was the best player on the wjc team.  He's not the best player here...yet.

Pretty sure being on the top pp unit with those guys is putting him in a place to be successful, especially when the 2nd unit doesn't get much time since the 1st unit is so good.

Edited by Long live the King

25 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

He was the best player on the wjc team.  He's not the best player here...yet.

Pretty sure being on the top pp unit with those guys is putting him in a place to be successful, especially when the 2nd unit doesn't get much time since the 1st unit is so good.

Hopefully the 2nd unit doesn't get much time this year....because the 1st unit keeps scoring!  LOL

"It's a big step just coming here and move overseas too," Lundkvist said this month at Rangers development camp. "With the COVID situation last year, I think it was a good decision to play back home again."

"It feels like I've done what I can back home," Lundkvist said. "The only thing missing is we didn't win with our team, but it feels like I'm prepared for this."

"He's stronger now and his game is steadier now," Sweden national team coach Johan Garpenlov said. "He's an offensive defenseman but he doesn't make as many mistakes as he used to make trying to do too much with the puck. He's so smart, he reads the play well, he's strong on the puck. He's good with the first pass from his own end. He joins the play well. I think he's ready to play in the NHL."

Arguably the toughest adjustment Lundkvist will face is playing on the smaller NHL ice, which is 15 feet narrower than that of the SHL.

"You've got a little less time, but it's lesser ice to defend too," Lundkvist said. "It's more intense and you have to make quicker decisions."

Garpenlov said he expects Lundkvist's adjustment to be quick because of his hockey IQ.

https://www.nhl.com/news/rangers-nils-lundkvist-says-hes-ready-to-be-nhl-defenseman/c-326151968