• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Current Rangers Were A No Show At Rod Gilbert's Funeral

The Dude

Damn, that's just an awful look. Not only is he a franchise icon, but he was always there and probably even spoke to almost all of the players on this team in some form. He's basically an ambassador. Even if I was a newer player and he didn't really speak to me, I would still go and represent your organization.

Not sure anyone has paid for the Post's pay wall to get any kind of real details on this, but it's absolutely disappointing to hear that none of the players attended, especially when you consider how interwoven Gilbert was with active players during the season at public events.

Even if they didn't have close personal relationships, it just makes a lot of sense to send the entire team and front office to a funeral for a player who's number is retired by the team. This is an ugly look from the top down.

3 hours ago, josh said:

I assume this is a Brooks spin - hence why it's behind a paywall.

Anyone paying to read brooks should be banned, btw.

I'm really wondering if it was a small funeral for close friends and family, and since nobody pays for the Post then Brooks can spin it however he wants.

If it's true and black and white, I'm really disappointed in the organization and the players.

Easy to get outraged, but don't think it's fair in this instance.Some of these guys aren't in NY, and it's the tail end of their summer, right before camp. Many probably had plans. They are going to have their lives regimented for at least the next 7 months (and hopefully longer).And suspect COVID+18 months, many probably didnt interact with Gilbert nearly as much as they might have otherwise. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Easy to get outraged, but don't think it's fair in this instance.Some of these guys aren't in NY, and it's the tail end of their summer, right before camp. Many probably had plans. They are going to have their lives regimented for at least the next 7 months (and hopefully longer).And suspect COVID+18 months, many probably didnt interact with Gilbert nearly as much as they might have otherwise. 

Yeah, I'm waiting for the full story here. Might have been, as X said, a small family gathering. Might have been that some folks offered and the family declined. Might be that no Rangers are in town. Might just be that - and let's be real here - most of these Rangers haven't met Gilbert and don't know him yet because of COVID. 

Hell, might be that the funeral presented too much of a risk for NHL COVID protocols. 

Let's at least give them the benefit of the doubt and let the story come to light before we jump to conclusions.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bugg said:

34 minutes ago, G1000 said:

Yeah, I'm waiting for the full story here. Might have been, as X said, a small family gathering. Might have been that some folks offered and the family declined. Might be that no Rangers are in town. Might just be that - and let's be real here - most of these Rangers haven't met Gilbert and don't know him yet because of COVID. 

Hell, might be that the funeral presented too much of a risk for NHL COVID protocols. 

Let's at least give them the benefit of the doubt and let the story come to light before we jump to conclusions.

Yep, I'm sure a lot of this has to do with covid protocols and being around a lot of people.

Someone posted on the Rangers' Reddit page that he lived across the street from the church where it was held, and there was definitely a separate, smaller gathering for players. He said he distinctly saw Chris Kreider there, and that this was Larry Brooks basically stirring the pot. So, take that for what it's worth. I believe it 100%. lol I hate the Post and Twitter.

36 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Someone posted on the Rangers' Reddit page that he lived across the street from the church where it was held, and there was definitely a separate, smaller gathering for players. He said he distinctly saw Chris Kreider there, and that this was Larry Brooks basically stirring the pot. So, take that for what it's worth. I believe it 100%. lol I hate the Post and Twitter.

Yea it's almost like that was posted in this thread ... 

season 1 friends GIF

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

One more thing; as per numerous media reports, the Gilbert family held a wake and a funeral mass on separate days, both at the same Catholic church. Might some of the NYR personnel attended one and not the other? Not all that unusual for lots of people to attend a wake,even briefly,  and only family  to attend a funeral mass. That's been especially true under COVID.