• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Apple Unveils iPhone 13 Pro, Pro Max at Virtual Event

Phil

• Phil changed the title to Apple Unveils iPhone 13 Pro, Pro Max at Virtual Event

So looking at the specs of the iPhone 13 Pro, it's basically a small incremental upgrade over the iPhone 12 Pro with the usual annual improvements to the processor/camera/screen/battery. No earth shattering new advancements. And as with most iPhones, you can skip a few generations to make the upgrade worth the money, unless you just have cash to burn or are an Apple fanboy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Karan said:

The Touch ID sensor is on the top right of the iPad Mini on the frame. Why would the iPhone need a Touch ID sensor when it uses Face ID?

Personally, I find fingerprint unlocking significantly more convenient. 

And I believe a lot of people had issues with Face ID and masks, which aren't going anywhere anytime soon. 

5 minutes ago, Morphinity said:

And I believe a lot of people had issues with Face ID and masks, which aren't going anywhere anytime soon. 

Same. My phone won't even recognize me without glasses. I fucking hate Face ID.

25 minutes ago, Morphinity said:

Ah weird, I always had challenges with Touch ID, like if I didn't have the right angle or some greasy/water shit on my hands.

Never had any issues with Face ID, I just have multiple facial recognition profiles setup, with and without glasses. Masks unfortunately are another challenge altogether.

57 minutes ago, Karan said:

So looking at the specs of the iPhone 13 Pro, it's basically a small incremental upgrade over the iPhone 12 Pro with the usual annual improvements to the processor/camera/screen/battery. No earth shattering new advancements. And as with most iPhones, you can skip a few generations to make the upgrade worth the money, unless you just have cash to burn or are an Apple fanboy.

they have to come up with a "new" model every year for those whose phone are due for a change.  no one wants a model that's 2-3 years old when they change their phone, everyone wants the latest. Companies are forced to come out with "new" models.  It's the same mentality as with new cars

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Xander said:

Por que no los dos? Especially in those instances where I'm not wearing my watch and can't open it with Face ID because I'm wearing a mask.

Apple has committed to Face ID being the design path going forward and Touch ID is being phased out. Why would their design team commit to both? It'll unnecessarily increase the dimensions/weight of the device, not to mention the costs, which is high enough as it is. Until their recognition algorithm can be revised to effectively figure out a way around masks, we already have a simple alternative available to us: entering your passcode. 

Edited by Karan

5 minutes ago, Karan said:

Apple has committed to Face ID being the design path going forward and Touch ID is being phased out. Why would their design team commit to both? It'll unnecessarily increase the dimensions/weight of the device, not to mention the costs, which is high enough as it is. Until their recognition algorithm can be revised to effectively figure out a way around masks, we already have a simple alternative available to us: entering your passcode. 

I like options and convenience? I also wasn't aware the iPad Mini was only touch and didn't have faceID. Makes sense from an internals perspective, I just want all the things to make it as convenient as possible for me, the user.

4 minutes ago, Xander said:

I like options and convenience? I also wasn't aware the iPad Mini was only touch and didn't have faceID. Makes sense from an internals perspective, I just want all the things to make it as convenient as possible for me, the user.

I think the iPad Mini and the regular iPad are the only ones which still retain Touch ID unlocking? But yeah cost is likely the driving factor. Most consumers I don't think are going to want to pay for the extra R&D and manufacturing costs associating with having both technologies within a device that's the same dimensions/weight as right now. Apple milks the price tag enough as it is. 

20 minutes ago, Karan said:

I don't know about that. Sooner or later they're going to have to do something about that awful notch on their phones (20% decrease on the 13 notwithstanding) and the sensor array for Face ID will either have to shrink or go away completely. 

The technology leaps in fingerprint unlocking have been pretty good over the past few years. There are in-screen fingerprint sensors (which I don't like), there are fingerprint sensors on the power button (which I like), and there are fingerprint sensors on the back of phones (the ideal spot, IMO.) They're all blazing fast too - not like how they are on the iPad or the old iPhones. 

I wouldn't be surprised if you see a switch back to fingerprint sensing on the iPhone in the next few updates. 

3 minutes ago, Morphinity said:

I don't know about that. Sooner or later they're going to have to do something about that awful notch on their phones (20% decrease on the 13 notwithstanding) and the sensor array for Face ID will either have to shrink or go away completely. 

The technology leaps in fingerprint unlocking have been pretty good over the past few years. There are in-screen fingerprint sensors (which I don't like), there are fingerprint sensors on the power button (which I like), and there are fingerprint sensors on the back of phones (the ideal spot, IMO.) They're all blazing fast too - not like how they are on the iPad or the old iPhones. 

I wouldn't be surprised if you see a switch back to fingerprint sensing on the iPhone in the next few updates. 

Yeah I guess there's an outside chance they could decide to reimplement different forms of Touch ID with the advancement of the technology. But will be interesting to see how they implement Face ID on the iPhone 14 if the recent rumors gaining steam that it's going to be a notch-less design, are true.

On 9/15/2021 at 2:23 PM, Morphinity said:

This is why I went to the iPhone SE last year/2 years ago, whichever it was, when I had enough of my iPhone8.  Much smaller than all the newer phones, still has a button.

On 9/15/2021 at 3:48 PM, Karan said:

Or, you know, lowering your mask for the 1 second it takes to open your phone.