• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Which Controller Did You Start With?

Phil

• 2 months later...
On 9/23/2021 at 9:36 PM, josh said:

I guess I'm just noticing but aren't 3 and 5 both for Sega genesis? 

Yep - the maker fucked that up and took that controller for the Sega Saturn controller, not realizing that a six-button Genesis controller eventually became the standard toward the console's end-of-life space.

edit - might be wrong here, some foreign versions of the Saturn controller look rather close to if not exactly that; perhaps this person mixed PAL/NA looks here?

11 minutes ago, G1000 said:

Yep - the maker fucked that up and took that controller for the Sega Saturn controller, not realizing that a six-button Genesis controller eventually became the standard toward the console's end-of-life space.

edit - might be wrong here, some foreign versions of the Saturn controller look rather close to if not exactly that; perhaps this person mixed PAL/NA looks here?

I'm half asleep and not looking it up, but thought the dream cast controller was a big circle thing or the cheap one looked more like a dream cast controller. Maybe I've been thinking dreamcast the entire time. Which one had the built in game genie? lol. That's all I remember 

10 hours ago, josh said:

I'm half asleep and not looking it up, but thought the dream cast controller was a big circle thing or the cheap one looked more like a dream cast controller. Maybe I've been thinking dreamcast the entire time. Which one had the built in game genie? lol. That's all I remember 

The Sega controllers were all over the place. There was the classic 3 button, a 6 button (which was the basic saturn controller), a giant circle (also Saturn) and then the Dreamcast controller (#8) which had the memory card/gameboy hybrid thing. Didn't help that especially in the early-mid 90s, Sega had yet to introduce the quality control Nintendo had done, so peripherals were ten kinds of different everywhere.

9 hours ago, G1000 said:

The Sega controllers were all over the place. There was the classic 3 button, a 6 button (which was the basic saturn controller), a giant circle (also Saturn) and then the Dreamcast controller (#8) which had the memory card/gameboy hybrid thing. Didn't help that especially in the early-mid 90s, Sega had yet to introduce the quality control Nintendo had done, so peripherals were ten kinds of different everywhere.

Let's not forget the many options for controllers for the NES though. There was the standard controller,  then the one with the round slidy directional button, then the power glove, the arcade style "advantage", then there was that mat. Most of which were junk. 

16 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Let's not forget the many options for controllers for the NES though. There was the standard controller,  then the one with the round slidy directional button, then the power glove, the arcade style "advantage", then there was that mat. Most of which were junk. 

Yup. It's one of the many reasons why that golden Nintendo "Seal of Approval" started to appear on everything; shit quality games, peripherals, etc were rampant in the industry in the 80s and early 90s.

• Like 1