• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Give Kravtsov Permission to Seek Trade; Loaned to KHL

Phil

Kravtsov was under the impression that he would start the season in the NHL, with Rangers team president Chris Drury indicating the same during a Sept. 9 conference call.

At the time, he said they were not including the skilled winger in their prospect development camp because they preferred him skating in voluntary practices with the NHL regulars.

"We were excited with big parts of his game last year," Drury said on that call.

The 6-foot-3 Russian began training camp on the third line with Barclay Goodrow and Filip Chytil, even starting on the top line for the Oct. 1 preseason game against the New Jersey Devils. But he suffered a lower-body injury in that contest, which forced him to miss a few days of practice and the following preseason game.

It's unclear if the Rangers planned to bring him back soon, but the decision has pushed their relationship with one of their top prospects to brink.

They've been down this road before with Kravtsov.

He was disappointed with his AHL assignment back in 2019, which led to a brief return to Russia. The Rangers worked to mend that fence and brought him back less than two months later, with Kravtsov ultimately playing 39 games for Hartford and expressing regret over how it all played out.

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2021/10/12/vitali-kravtsov-rangers-reach-crossroads-after-unexpected-demotion/6103788001/

Just now, The Dude said:

Another first rounder who pouts his way out of town. And another bunch of people shrugging it off saying it's no big deal. 

They changed the roster to make room for this kid as part of the future. The "ah well" reactions are unacceptable 

If you're gonna pout, then you should be sent out of town.

The only thing that's a big deal is that they drafted two immature players. Seems they righted that ship with the last 3 classes.

6 minutes ago, Xander said:

and you're cherry picking two prospects not working out into an organizational crisis of a lack of ability to develop players?

Two players? So you're calling McIlrath a success assuming the two you're talking about is Anderson and Kravtsov. 

Just now, Keirik said:

I’m not sure what Gauthier would do, but Kravtsov was down this road before. He was sent down once before, handled in poorly, played in Russia, brought back last year proving he is NHL ready, and even showed us that in the last preseason game what skill level he has. 
   What else does he need to do to crack our roster? If you’re not going to have him make the opening day roster this year, then you’re never going to have him on the roster. I 100% do not agree that Gauthier gives you a better chance to win today.  

I do, because Gauthier's game is so simple and straight-lined that you can play him anywhere in your lineup. Kravtsov's isn't. He requires a top-six role, and would clearly sulk if he wasn't given it, and was instead made a healthy scratch (or re-assigned, clearly).

2 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Again this is letting a kid hold you hostage because he has a shitty attitude.  Krav's crying doesn't dictate the GM's decisions.  Sorry kid.  Go down shut up and play.  You'll be back once there is an injury or you force your way in with good play.

I just do t see it that way. The kid pouted before , stuck his tail between his legs and did what they asked of him.  I don’t see the need to then do it to him twice when he’s the better player, better talent, better skilled, brighter future. At some point the organization has to believe in him too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keirik said:

I just do t see it that way. The kid pouted before , stuck his tail between his legs and did what they asked of him.  I don’t see the need to then do it to him twice when he’s the better player, better talent, better skilled, brighter future. At some point the organization has to believe in him too. 

Maybe they just don't? None of this excuses taking your ball and going home for a second time over the same sequence of events. What this tells me is that his skill and talent aren't worth the character defects.

1 minute ago, Keirik said:

But this isn't Krav v. Gauthier.  Krav got sent down because he's waivers exempt.  Doesn't mean Gauthier will be in the lineup tomorrow.

I don’t blame him one bit this time. He played well during the preseason and should be here.  We have to stop playing games because we fear losing a marginal player like Gauthier or Hunt to waivers.

Get Kravstov up here and put someone on waivers. If you lose them, you lose them. 

Just now, Chuck_IV said:

I don’t blame him one bit this time. He played well during the preseason and should be here.  We have to stop playing games because we fear losing a marginal player like Gauthier or Hunt to waivers.

Get Kravstov up here and put someone on waivers. If you lose them, you lose them. 

He still wouldn't be in the lineup.  Hunt is a 4th liner, Krav is not.  Blais played better than Gauthier and Krav and appears to have earned a spot on the 3rd line.  Krav didn't play well enough to push Kreider off the 1st line.

4 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

But this isn't Krav v. Gauthier.  Krav got sent down because he's waivers exempt.  Doesn't mean Gauthier will be in the lineup tomorrow.

If you take Gallant at face value - no reason not to, as Gallant is not really a politician coach - he got beat for the spot by Gauthier.

4 minutes ago, Tomas Sandstrom said:

How do you know they didn't?   How do you know Drury didn't literally call every other GM in the league, ask for X in a trade for Krav, and they all said No?  Maybe that happened.

Then, maybe, he had that conversation with Krav and his agent.  They didn't believe him.  They demanded he be on the top line or top 2 lines, whatever their demand was.

Now, if you are Drury and the Rangers, what do you do?

Maybe this is their best option at the moment.  Again, maybe they have absolutely no intention of trading the kid unless and until they get the value they have place on him.  Once Krav and his agent are unable to find a team in the league to trade that value, then what do they do? 

Rangers hold all the cards here.

Well to answer the first question, if Drury called and asked every GM in the league if they wanted Kravtsov, I don't think there's a chance that's not getting caught by someone reporting it to the media. Could be, but thats a small chance.

But if thats true, then to answer the 2nd question I would look for a solution that works for both. Could he been loaned out to the KHL (or somewhere else)? I don't know the rules, so Im legit asking.

I just don't see a way where they really talked this through to find a solution and this is the best they came up with. Kravtsov mad and crying at home, refusing to play hockey while his agent is desperately calling around the league to find a new home to him after his value has decreased significantly.

6 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

McIllrath was over a decade ago...

You're missing the point lmao we haven't had a 1st round pick perform as a 1st round pick should since 1986, maybe you can debate Kreider if you want to keep up this fantasy idea that our 1st round picks have all been successful over the years.  

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

I do, because Gauthier's game is so simple and straight-lined that you can play him anywhere in your lineup. Kravtsov's isn't. He requires a top-six role, and would clearly sulk if he wasn't given it, and was instead made a healthy scratch (or re-assigned, clearly).

U know what then? If that’s the cemented attitude we are at as an organization for this year then it better be cup or bust because the Drury/Gallant era is starting off with demoting a highly skilled player in favor of more sandpaper. If Gauthier can play anywhere it’s only because he’s terrible anywhere..

Kravtsov was a 2018 draft. He’s played the 5th least amount of NHL games of the top 20 picks that year and the least amount of the top 10 picks. I do t care that he pouted two years ago. He’s not even remotely as raw as he was then. He’s NHL ready and a top level talent. You make room for that, not punish it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

He still wouldn't be in the lineup.  Hunt is a 4th liner, Krav is not.  Blais played better than Gauthier and Krav and appears to have earned a spot on the 3rd line.  Krav didn't play well enough to push Kreider off the 1st line.

Well if you’re going on that concept, what did Kreider do all preseason to earn time on the 1st line? 

11 minutes ago, Phil said:

This doesnt really scream good asset management.

"We like your game, you're gonna play with the big boys, we believe in you"

*gets injured, comes back and plays a good game*

"Whelp sorry, Hunt and Gauthier in front of you now. Just go spend some time with 1/10 of the salary in Hartford"

And before all the "you need to earn your spot bla bla bla", he has. He has done what he needed to do to crack the lineup, even the GM said the same under a month ago.

5 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

So again, why do we keep Gauthier around other than the fear of losing him to the waiver wire? Get rid of him and keep Kravtsov here. I’d much rather not play head games with a kid who has played well and has a lot more potential than a player like Gauthier. 

14 minutes ago, Phil said:

Well yeah, you CAN play him anywhere, but he will suck anywhere you play him aswell lol.

1 minute ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Well yeah, you CAN play him anywhere, but he will suck anywhere you play him aswell lol.

Yeah. Technically I fit in nicely anywhere in this lineup too. I can even take bonehead penalties and not score at the NHL level. I’m also 6-3 lol

3 minutes ago, Chuck_IV said:

So again, why do we keep Gauthier around other than the fear of losing him to the waiver wire? Get rid of him and keep Kravtsov here. I’d much rather not play head games with a kid who has played well and has a lot more potential than a player like Gauthier. 

It's not a head game.  Young players get sent down all the time...Krav is a head case.