• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#1) Rangers @ Washington Capitals — If Tom Wilson Lives, We Riot!

Phil

Rangers goalies haven't stolen games in quite some time.

I think Igor may reach that level but it's a tall ask of most goaltenders given the offensive talent in the league and especially the Eastern Conference.

I like Georgiev, but I hope he finds a job somewhere else when our draft picks show consistent backup goaltender ability.

1 hour ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

Aside from the 3rd goal, he wasn’t bad honestly

Georgiev wasn’t the problem. However, it’s game 1. You don’t start your backup game one because game two is tomorrow ffs. You send a message to our goalies that game one and two the next day ARE FOR YOUR GOD DAMN STARTER. Think Hank sits one of these two ? Yes, hof goLie is different but think 2010 Hank sits one of these two? Not a chance. 82 games so plenty of time to rest. You set your season up against a division rival to succeed in every possible way. Also, you start Reaves just to force WSH to make the decision to start Wilson. You don’t let them dictatie that. Odd choices all around.

2 hours ago, Rangers said:

https://www.tsn.ca/alex-ovechkin-washington-capitals-new-york-rangers-1.1706196

NHL EYES GAME

Commissioner Gary Bettman, Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly and senior vice president of player safety George Parros were all in attendance for the first Rangers-Capitals meeting since a game last season included six fights in the first five minutes.

Blais and Washington defenseman Trevor van Riemsdyk got into it less than two minutes in, but officials stepped in between them and other potential combatants before anyone could drop the gloves.

It was clear the message had gotten through to play hockey and not turn the night into a boxing event.

“Our players and our coaches and our managers are professionals,” Bettman said beforehand. “They know what’s expected of them, and we think it would be best if everybody focused on being on the right side of the line as opposed to the wrong side of the line.”

Utter irrelevant info. We start Reaves and let the guys in attendance see what THEY created. Once you didn’t, you allowed the caps to do their thing. Once the first ended 1-0, it was a hockey game and once it got away quickly while Gretz was talking lol then it became pointless. February it is.

Don't think I ever really looked at Goodrow's actual scoring stats until just now.  His career high is 26 points and his career high is 8 goals.  Now he's on our 3rd line with an offensive minded center with the expectation that it's going to be productive?  How will it?  We have very bad depth.  He should be our 4th line center, but they paid him too much for that.  

Blais-Goodrow-Hunt

Great 4th line.

You don't need Rooney, rotate Reaves with Hunt when you need him.  Play Chytil with Gauthier and Kravtsov and be an actual hockey team. 

7 hours ago, AliveIn94 said:

Rangers goalies haven't stolen games in quite some time.

I think Igor may reach that level but it's a tall ask of most goaltenders given the offensive talent in the league and especially the Eastern Conference.

I like Georgiev, but I hope he finds a job somewhere else when our draft picks show consistent backup goaltender ability.

I hope it’s long before that.

We had problems entering the off-season. Some got concentrated on, some didn’t. But one that got literally zero attention that I brought up several times was the need for a veteran backup for Shesterkin and for an upgrade to Georgiev. 

Georgiev is too inconsistent. He has nights he can absolutely wow you, and look great. But for every single one of those performances are 7 or 8 starts in between where he looks like what he is: an AHL-level goaltender.

They need to upgrade there somehow and someway. It’s clear that the organization wants to milk every last drop of energy Shesterkin has because he’s never dealt with this kind of workload. But you can’t do that and then put in someone as bad as Georgiev 30+ times a season and expect to call yourself a playoff team. I’m sorry. You just can’t.

• Phil unpinned this topic

They already had someone in house, Kinkaid, who could have done the job nicely and did so when called upon last season. It wasn't a long stint, but still. As I mentioned before, Shesterkin still not being able to start back to backs is kind of alarming. I just think they're babying him, honestly, but it still doesn't look very good, especially after signing that contract. Kinkaid isn't great either, but are you trusting him more than Georgiev to start 30+ games if that is the case? I probably would. He started quite a bit for New Jersey, even if that was awhile ago.

8 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

They already had someone in house, Kinkaid, who could have done the job nicely and did so when called upon last season. It wasn't a long stint, but still. As I mentioned before, Shesterkin still not being able to start back to backs is kind of alarming. I just think they're babying him, honestly, but it still doesn't look very good, especially after signing that contract. Kinkaid isn't great either, but are you trusting him more than Georgiev to start 30+ games if that is the case? I probably would. He started quite a bit for New Jersey, even if that was awhile ago.

Do I trust Kinkaid over Georgiev? Yes. Is he the answer? No.

I still think someone like Halak should have been prioritized this summer. If not him, then someone along those lines.

5 hours ago, TwoMinutesForNothing said:

Don't think I ever really looked at Goodrow's actual scoring stats until just now.  His career high is 26 points and his career high is 8 goals.  Now he's on our 3rd line with an offensive minded center with the expectation that it's going to be productive?  How will it?  We have very bad depth.  He should be our 4th line center, but they paid him too much for that.  

Blais-Goodrow-Hunt

Great 4th line.

You don't need Rooney, rotate Reaves with Hunt when you need him.  Play Chytil with Gauthier and Kravtsov and be an actual hockey team. 

Agree, but I keep Rooney. Fuck Hunt. Rooney is a solid 4th liner/PK guy. Hunt is... he's here..

waited all year for this one, especially since the gmen and jets are sucking ass.  went down the basement to watch on the 70 inch tv and folded laundry.  started losing my mind when the pucks started rolling in and the wife came down and yelled at me.

should of went fishing.  stripers are running nice now.

48 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Do I trust Kinkaid over Georgiev? Yes. Is he the answer? No.

I still think someone like Halak should have been prioritized this summer. If not him, then someone along those lines.

This. I think that Shesterkin needs someone that can push him as he is still largely unproven as a #1 starter; for anyone that wants to argue, two NHL seasons of 12 and 35 games does not solidify someone as a body of work(no matter how crazy good he is when he is playing). Out of all of the names that were available this Summer, I can think of a half dozen that would have been an upgrade for less/same money as Georgiev/Kinkaid.

54 minutes ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

Let’s get a new GDT started so the overreacting and whining in this one can be done with

But let's keep this one pinned for the hot takes that are gonna age like Matthew Perry.

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1