Jump to content
  • Join us — it's free!

    We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Where Would We Be Without the Gifts?


Sod16
 Share

Recommended Posts

Panarin, Fox, LaF, Kakko: all bequeathed on the team through no skill or action on the part of management.  Where would this team be now and what would the future look like without them?  There would still be a couple of solid potential but essentially unproven players like Miller, but Goodrow and Zib probably wouldn't have signed long term and the roster would be crap.  This question particularly comes into focus with the apparent total failure of 7th and 9th overall picks in successive years, something that in of itself would be a disaster for most any other rebuilding team.  A GM for about 25 of the teams has to ask "where would the Rangers be if they had been dealt the hand that I have had to play?"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bottom dwellers. Simply stated. Laf and Fox will go on to be franchise cornerstones in 2-3 years.

 

The implosion of Krav and Lias are concerning considering how much those picks could put us in a much different spot than we stand right now with two successful picks. Lame. Now Krav will spend the early part of his career trying to prove the Rangers wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The flip side of this is that if they didnt draft Laf or Kakko, Krav may have gotten the chance he feels he deserves already and this may not even be an issue. Lets be hoenst, both Laf and Kakko were gifted ice time in their first seasons. 

In every rebuild there are always bad picks. Krav isnt a bad pick so much as he is a bad development if that makes sense. Even if he never plays another game for the rangers they may still get value from him. Lias was terrible all around. Who ever pushed for that should be (might already be) fired.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, siddious said:

The flip side of this is that if they didnt draft Laf or Kakko, Krav may have gotten the chance he feels he deserves already and this may not even be an issue. Lets be hoenst, both Laf and Kakko were gifted ice time in their first seasons. 

In every rebuild there are always bad picks. Krav isnt a bad pick so much as he is a bad development if that makes sense. Even if he never plays another game for the rangers they may still get value from him. Lias was terrible all around. Who ever pushed for that should be (might already be) fired.

Wasn't Lias slated as a second rounder? They took him in the top 10. lol Awful. They thought he was "NHL ready". He may be, he did make the Kings' roster, just perhaps not the kind of player they were hoping for....or something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Panarin was a gift in the sense that he really wanted to only come to the Rangers, and it was Gorton's job not to screw it up.

 

I feel like that's underselling how difficult it is to land a free agent, especially a high profile one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

Wasn't Lias slated as a second rounder? They took him in the top 10. lol Awful. They thought he was "NHL ready". He may be, he did make the Kings' roster, just perhaps not the kind of player they were hoping for....or something.

Yea and he most likely would have been there in the second round to take as well. I still remember how confused the announcers were after the pick. Rangers staff always think they're the smartest guys in the room in the first round and its hardly if ever true. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, siddious said:

Yea and he most likely would have been there in the second round to take as well. I still remember how confused the announcers were after the pick. Rangers staff always think they're the smartest guys in the room in the first round and its hardly if ever true. 

Right. I think Krav was considered kind of a reach too, no? I did like the pick, even if Wahlstrom was there for the taking. I thought he'd be talented enough to where you wouldn't feel too badly about passing up there. He is talented, but there were other....issues. lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Morphinity said:

  

 

I feel like that's underselling how difficult it is to land a free agent, especially a high profile one. 

Fair enough. But, it sounded like he'd be after they made him a good enough offer. If I recall he left money on the table to come here. I believe the Islanders offered him more money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Morphinity said:

I feel like that's underselling how difficult it is to land a free agent, especially a high profile one. 

Gorton literally admitted, recently, I think on a podcast, that "Panarin was always coming to New York," and said some shit like "it was my job to not screw it up."

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

Fair enough. But, it sounded like he'd be after they made him a good enough offer. If I recall he left money on the table to come here. I believe the Islanders offered him more money.

They did. So did Colorado. They offered like $14 million, but for shorter term.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

Right. I think Krav was considered kind of a reach too, no? I did like the pick, even if Wahlstrom was there for the taking. I thought he'd be talented enough to where you wouldn't feel too badly about passing up there. He is talented, but there were other....issues. lol

I think so too but less of an off the board if I remember correctly. There was a lot to like about Krav even if he was taken a bit too early. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Right. I think Krav was considered kind of a reach too, no? I did like the pick, even if Wahlstrom was there for the taking. I thought he'd be talented enough to where you wouldn't feel too badly about passing up there. He is talented, but there were other....issues. lol

Sure - a bit. But outside like the top 3 in most drafts, the whole lot of it is negotiable. Heck - hindsight being what it is three years out - think Buffalo takes Dahlin knowing what Svech and Tkachuk and Hughes became? Think there's any way the Islanders go Wahlstrom/Dobson when they could have gone Farabee/Smith? It's all circumstance against consensus and trusting your systems to grow the players. 

And not to turn this into yet another Kravtsov thread - it's not like he's busted and it's not like we've fucked up his development, so who are we to say that was a mistake?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As for the rest of it? Who cares? We got them. We got Panarin. We got 2 straight top 2 picks. We got Fox a year earlier than we otherwise would have. 

Working the system and getting the benefit of circumstance is part of the deal. The only differences we'd have are the constant complaints about how we never have the luck to win the lottery and marginally less complaining about the Kreider/Trouba deals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't seen Marvel's what if yet so please no spoilers. 

Jokes aside, other than banter fodder, it's a pointless discussion. Would the Rangers have won the cup if Sauer and Cherapanov didn't meat untimely ends? How about MZA's head injury in the playoffs? And let's not forget Hank.

Maybe they'd been so bad without "the gifts" that they'd have picked low for multiple seasons and gotten the same draft picks.

Idk

Edited by torontonyr
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Phil said:

Gorton literally admitted, recently, I think on a podcast, that "Panarin was always coming to New York," and said some shit like "it was my job to not screw it up."

It was aided by particularly fortuitous circumstances, though. Ryan Spooner's contract, which had some retention from the Rangers, being bought out by Vancouver gave the Rangers extra cap space in the 11th hour to up their contract offer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...