• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Arthur Staple Is the Athletic's New York Columnist

Phil

"new york hockey columnist"... i assume hes going to do the isles too?

Edit: My bad didnt realize there was a whole article thought it was a twitter announcement 

The Athletic remains dedicated to giving both sets of fans great coverage of their teams. We’ll be adding another New York hockey reporter to the mix in short order. Together, we’ll dig in on the news both teams generate, have plenty of deep dives on each and pray for a playoff series between the two when springtime rolls around.

Edited by siddious

38 minutes ago, josh said:

Why would you want Vince to take this job? He's better than Carp now, who apparently has never talked to players in a decade. 

Because Vince deserves a larger audience. He writes for a pretty small outlet, but he actually does a good job of interviewing players, interacting with fans, and writing content about the team with info from sources, stats, and his own observations. He also started a Rangers podcast that gets decent guests. He has initiative and I think if he was given the keys to a larger outlet, he could even expand his content game and more people could appreciate his work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Morphinity said:

Because Vince deserves a larger audience. He writes for a pretty small outlet, but he actually does a good job of interviewing players, interacting with fans, and writing content about the team with info from sources, stats, and his own observations. He also started a Rangers podcast that gets decent guests. He has initiative and I think if he was given the keys to a larger outlet, he could even expand his content game and more people could appreciate his work. 

Do you even make more money at the Athletic than as a paper? I have no idea...Maybe because it's subs-based? Dunno. Assuming he can't do both jobs.

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Do you even make more money at the Athletic than as a paper? I have no idea...Maybe because it's subs-based? Dunno. Assuming he can't do both jobs.

I actually went to go look for this and it's really hard to tell because there are truly not many beat reporter jobs out there. Glassdoor suggests an average salary of 55k, but there's not enough there to really call for it.

What we do know is that part of the Athletic's business model involved poaching top tier beat reporters for anywhere between 15-35% over their current annual salary and I assume still does.