• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers, Fox Have Preliminary Contract Discussions

LindG1000

• Phil changed the title to Rangers, Fox Have Preliminary Contract Discussions

Why do it so quick? We have control. He wants to be here. Only here. I’m not in the camp of paying guys with 3-4 years nhl experience a boat load of money because it might have us 2m 4 years down the road. Cap is flat right now and we have some serious contracts under our belt for a good chunk of future. Good teams sign for market in a panic. Great teams establish a culture and go from there. Offer 7 x 4 years with the idea that he can be part of something bigger than just a salary. Isles and Bruins are establishing that. Work on their model, not on anyone else’s. 

• Like 1

Pretty fair starting point...seems like a bit of a discount to me.

I hope we see some growth out of Schneider and Robertson this season, considerable enough to become the replacement for Trouba, who is looking very much like the 40,000 lbs elephant in the room.

15 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

The biggest problem with getting rid of Trouba in a year or two is going to be who wants to take that contract on.

Not only that, but he still has that NMC, so we'd most likely have to move him to a contender....with cap space...maybe a team like Columbus??

9 hours ago, Keirik said:

Why do it so quick? We have control. He wants to be here. Only here. I’m not in the camp of paying guys with 3-4 years nhl experience a boat load of money because it might have us 2m 4 years down the road. Cap is flat right now and we have some serious contracts under our belt for a good chunk of future. Good teams sign for market in a panic. Great teams establish a culture and go from there. Offer 7 x 4 years with the idea that he can be part of something bigger than just a salary. Isles and Bruins are establishing that. Work on their model, not on anyone else’s. 

I agree as it is a tough situation. Am sure Fox's agent is asking for a 9 in front of his cap hit as a starting point in negotiations, but let's assume that is a hard and fast number.

Hughes and Makar who are both statistically better than Fox are making, 7.85 and 9 million respectively on 8 year deals; Heiskinanen makes 8.4 million and would probably put him maybe a quarter step below Fox.

It's the contracts that Nurse and Jones are making that are what is making the market more complicated. However it's worth noting that both took bridge deals that would be considered discounts against the fact that they continued their trend line.

Unless that 8 year deal is going to come in around the low 8's a shorter 5 year type bridge deal that Nurse and Jones ended up going for may be worth exploring, as 5 years would take Fox to the end of the Panarin, Zinenajad, Kreider, Trouba, and Shesterkin window and let them assess where they are at that point?

Personally I would rather lock him up for 8 years right now, as he is such a rare talent and that they will have much more leverage negotiating a new contract with him at 32 rather than 29. The point that I am making is that I wouldn't be in a hurry to jump in head first to simply give him a record contract for a defenseman at his age.  

• Applause 1

4 minutes ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

I agree as it is a tough situation. Am sure Fox's agent is asking for a 9 in front of his cap hit as a starting point in negotiations, but let's assume that is a hard and fast number.

Hughes and Makar who are both statistically better than Fox are making, 7.85 and 9 million respectively on 8 year deals; Heiskinanen makes 8.4 million and would probably put him maybe a quarter step below Fox.

It's the contracts that Nurse and Jones are making that are what is making the market more complicated. However it's worth noting that both took bridge deals that would be considered discounts against the fact that they continued their trend line.

Unless that 8 year deal is going to come in around the low 8's a shorter 5 year type bridge deal that Nurse and Jones ended up going for may be worth exploring, as 5 years would take Fox to the end of the Panarin, Zinenajad, Kreider, Trouba, and Shesterkin window and let them assess where they are at that point?

Personally I would rather lock him up for 8 years right now, as he is such a rare talent and that they will have much more leverage negotiating a new contract with him at 32 rather than 29. The point that I am making is that I wouldn't be in a hurry to jump in head first to simply give him a record contract for a defenseman at his age.  

Hughes isn't even in the same conversation as Fox. He's one of the worst defenders in the league and put up worse offensive stats than fox last year

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Keirik said:

The Isle just signed 2 27 year old Dmen to 8 year deals.  The Bruins just signed McAvoy for $9.5 x 8.

This isn't locking up a young player because you project that the production will increase and you'll pay more now to save money later.  This is locking up a player that just won the Norris Trophy.

Edited by Long live the King

1 hour ago, Long live the King said:

The Isle just signed 2 27 year old Dmen to 8 year deals.  The Bruins just signed McAvoy for $9.5 x 8.

This isn't locking up a young player because you project that the production will increase and you'll pay more now to save money later.  This is locking up a player that just won the Norris Trophy.

I’m not sure that really matter. I’m not suggesting to lose him. I’m suggesting to bridge him handsomely because there are a good amount of guys on our roster that also are going to need bridge deals. If this means 4 years from now we have to pay a bit more then so be it. But if you pay him market price next year while when we actually have leverage we then only have around 9m in cap space for Kakko/Strome/Blais/backup goalie and Alf/Chytil the following year after. Almost have to pray that neither Kakko nor Alf blossom fully or else we are in the same boat with another gigantic contract on their hand. If you bridge him until 24/25 you are paying him a bit more but  the hope is cap significantly higher, Trouba’s nmc is unlocked to allow him to be traded and you are one year off from the same with kreider. Much more manageable scenario especially since we will 100% know by then exactly who Kakko and Alf have turned into being as well. 

• Like 2