• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Gallant Enthused Over Jim Midgley

Phil

Fans may not be terribly familiar with Jim Midgley, who was named last week as part of the Rangers’ assistant coaching staff that will also include Benoit Allaire and newcomers Mike Kelly and Gord Murphy.

But Gerard Gallant, the head man, is enthused over the addition of the 43-year-old who has no experience on the North American professional level but has a rather eclectic hockey résumé and is currently serving as an assistant coach for Canada’s National Women’s Team in the World Championships being contested in Calgary.

“Jim is a guy I’ve known for 15 years. He’s a hard-working young guy, he’s been an assistant coach in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League for a long time and he was head coach there at Halifax,” Gallant told The Post on Friday. “I’ve known him for a long time, I’ve seen him and have talked to him at coaching symposiums.

“I think if you look at my staffs, I’ve always brought in a younger guy. He’s not real young, he’s 43, but he’s one of those guys who has a good hockey mind. He’s well thought of by a lot of people. It’s a name that might catch people by surprise here, but he’s a hard worker and he’s a good communicator.

“He’s going to work with different guys. Our players are going to love him.”

https://nypost.com/2021/08/29/gerard-gallant-enthused-over-obscure-rangers-jim-midgley/